New York TRACON - N90

Ellis McPickle

Newcomer
Sep 1, 2017
Last question/comment: I'm hearing different things on how much you'd make initially. I understand that at OKC you would get AG pay or whatever it's called, but do you get D1 once you leave OKC or after 25% at N-90?

Nikk

Newcomer
Apr 2, 2015
When does the c90/n90 MOU expire? Or is it an indefinite MOU until staffing reaches a certain number for both facilities?

lhul5ley

Newcomer
Nov 20, 2015
it depends how they send them. Each area can handle a class/lab of 4, so we can take them in batches of 20 or so. Class and lab take about 6 weeks each. But we can have people certifying and working fd/cd while they wait. It would be awesome if the N90 class at the academy counts as the class and lab but I would highly doubt that.
For some insight, doesn't look like the 120 from separation days language applied to the bid, I won't be out until 19' and I accepted my TOL Monday. I was denied for all the prior Exp bids I assume for being too far out. Maybe the 89 prior experience folks are a mixed bag of, working at Home Depot right now to 3 years remaining in the AF.

lhul5ley

Newcomer
Nov 20, 2015
First of all congrats..Won't be out unti 2019???? And you got your TOL? You got to be shitting me..wtf is faa doing!?!?! Mean while current CPC level 7 radar still got NOT a god damn thing...
[FONT=&quot]¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/FONT]

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Currently a cpc at y90 in CT. Been here for almost ten years. Got certified as a level 9 and then we were recently downgraded to a level 8. I grew up on Long Island and my parents, sisters and extended family still lives down there. I am married with two kids and one due in December. We have recently started thinking about moving back to Long Island to be close to family and for me to make some more money. My wife has a good job up here. I have been on 6 day work weeks and mostly ten hour days here for two years so I'm used to that part. I'm up for the challenge just trying to convince myself it's worth moving the family after being here for a long time.
i don't know how much more actual money you'll make. Yeah your paychecks might be higher (or not) but it'll just cover property taxes. One guy on here went from SJU (7) to JFK (11) and although on paper he got an instant $30k raise his checks went up $200. Throw in LI rent and he actually lost money on the deal

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
i don't know how much more actual money you'll make. Yeah your paychecks might be higher (or not) but it'll just cover property taxes. One guy on here went from SJU (7) to JFK (11) and although on paper he got an instant $30k raise his checks went up $200. Throw in LI rent and he actually lost money on the deal
This. I moved from Texas 7 to Cleveland 12, and even with the huge raise, my paycheck was $42 LESS in Cleveland. Stupid state and local tax.

JStewart66

Nov 19, 2008
N90 - EWR
www.stuckmic.com
you should ask to get released before Irma hits.
Ha... I did, but no joy. Actually, got to stay here at work for 92 hours straight while it passed, wondering the whole time if my house was under water (we live on Treasure Island). Luckily, my area didn't flood enough to do any damage other than trash the yard.. got very very lucky.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Ha... I did, but no joy. Actually, got to stay here at work for 92 hours straight while it passed, wondering the whole time if my house was under water (we live on Treasure Island). Luckily, my area didn't flood enough to do any damage other than trash the yard.. got very very lucky.
we got an email the other day saying expected first transfer to arrive around Oct 1. This you?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
For all those looking to transfer here, here's the summary about the new process from our local meeting last week:

Representatives from the Direct Hire Workgroup (NDIS) were on hand to offer us a quick rundown of the process and what it means for us. Tom Adcock (the NATCA workgroup lead) gave the summary;
The NDIS workgroup has made significant changes to the training process on OKC. The reason for these changes are to make sure that the “product” that we get is better suited and more prepared to work in the New York TRACON. Those changes include revamping the AT basics class, making RTF more suited to what we really do and making TSEW more realistic. In addition to this, they have come up with a new class called TETRA (Ten Eleven Twelve Radar Assessment). This class is a pass/fail class that will determine whether or not candidates may be successful at N90. This will act as a sort of OAP for us. These changes will hopefully enable us to accept applicants from lower level facilities and even from off of the street! These new initiatives, along with the revamping of our own training program and Human Factors are expected to substantially help our staffing crises.
There is going to be a bid put out for the TRACON around October 6[SUP]th[/SUP] that will be open to people within approximately 50 miles of Westbury and these applicants will be the first to try the new program.
The new classes will mean that the time spent in OKC will be 5 months, so we are hoping that we will see the first graduates of this program in early spring.