New York TRACON - N90

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
How often do they allow Termial employees transfer to an enroute/tracon?
All the time. If your lower level tower meets staffing requirements to transfer out, you are eligible to be selected at any facility.
Or if your tower doesn't meet the staffing requirements, you can still be selected for critically manned facilities (N90, C90, A80, LAX).

AlphaRomeo92

Newcomer
Apr 26, 2018
Stinger thank you. I believe I’ll make the logical decision and go with the list, if I do well and feel stagnant I’ll try my hand at a higher level facility.

Ledesma3

Newcomer
Apr 28, 2018
Does anyone know how long the academy is for trainees going to N90? Is it longer since they are training specific N90 material now? I received a TOL for N90, just trying to get my feet wet with some info.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Does anyone know how long the academy is for trainees going to N90? Is it longer since they are training specific N90 material now? I received a TOL for N90, just trying to get my feet wet with some info.
1 month for Basics.
1 month for RTF.
1 month for TSEW.
1 month for TETRA.

They don't get trained on specific N90 material. It's Academy specific using N90 as a loose guideline to get the correct traffic flows and volumes.

splendor34

Newcomer
Aug 31, 2010
If you wash out of N90, it's not the end of your career in the FAA. If you make it at N90, you're an ATC-12 CPC making $50k+ in OT a year, indefinitely.

On the other hand, if you know you want to retire at ZME (and I'd like to know how you know this, because I work with two guys who hated everything about the city), and your prior experience TOL is for enroute instead of terminal, then take the prior experience TOL and choose the center with the best staffing to facilitate your eventual transfer.
seriously making 50k right now on long island so you're take home is around 40k being generous that means one pay check is going to rent and the other is just going to living you're boarderline poverty level. I'm just waiting for the newsday headline that says new york tracon doesn't have enough qualified controllers to work airspace that day is coming in the next 60 months. I just wonder who gets the blame

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
seriously making 50k right now on long island so you're take home is around 40k being generous that means one pay check is going to rent and the other is just going to living you're boarderline poverty level. I'm just waiting for the newsday headline that says new york tracon doesn't have enough qualified controllers to work airspace that day is coming in the next 60 months. I just wonder who gets the blame
I’m sure he meant 50k JUST in over time. Then someone fixed it to 100k just in overtime. But yeah, if you were at AG pay it would suck but, people make it work off of less everyday.

splendor34

Newcomer
Aug 31, 2010
According to the August 2017 Priority Placement Tool (PPT), N90 has 133 CPCs, which is 93 CPCs short of its collaboratively-developed operational staffing target of 226 CPCs. That has left the facility at just 58.8 percent of the CPC target with only 13 trainees. Without some change, within two years, N90's staffing is projected to decline further to 48.3 percent of the CPC target.

Problems resulting from the N90 staffing crisis were highlighted by events on Saturday, July 22, 2017. On that day, a ground delay program was implemented due to the N90 staffing limitations on the evening shift, which resulted in an air carrier canceling 50 flights. Subsequently, the airline voiced their concern and disappointment to the FAA, the U.S. Department of Transportation, and members of Congress. There is now a considerable amount of awareness and focus on staffing at N90, and an increased sense of urgency from the Agency to implement a plan to address the issue.

Quote from natca

splendor34

Newcomer
Aug 31, 2010
Whats the checkout rate since I left It can't be high. What's left to do now recall everyone you hired that passed the tests and give them another try. 4 weeks in the sim for ots people is a joke but unfortunately lets face fact's everyone's going to wake up one day and the tracon will move to cleveland because operating let alone training kids when that place is down to 45% staffing should be fun. Oh yea lets sell this job to some kid from a flyover state go there get taxed out the ass your minimum rent is around $1400 if your part of that 2% that checks out you'll make 250k nice if play russian roulette with those odds. You'll make 50K to start but make sure you live in moms basement because that's the only way you'll be able to afford anything let alone the downpayment on a house to avoid pmi....lol

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Whats the checkout rate since I left It can't be high. What's left to do now recall everyone you hired that passed the tests and give them another try. 4 weeks in the sim for ots people is a joke but unfortunately lets face fact's everyone's going to wake up one day and the tracon will move to cleveland because operating let alone training kids when that place is down to 45% staffing should be fun. Oh yea lets sell this job to some kid from a flyover state go there get taxed out the ass your minimum rent is around $1400 if your part of that 2% that checks out you'll make 250k nice if play russian roulette with those odds. You'll make 50K to start but make sure you live in moms basement because that's the only way you'll be able to afford anything let alone the downpayment on a house to avoid pmi....lol
I can't be the only one that has no idea what you're saying.

FuturePilot4u

Rookie
Apr 3, 2014
sounds like they need to up the pay, make it 100k developmental and 400k cpc and I'll sign up. 250k in NY just isn't enough to make it worth it.

According to the August 2017 Priority Placement Tool (PPT), N90 has 133 CPCs, which is 93 CPCs short of its collaboratively-developed operational staffing target of 226 CPCs. That has left the facility at just 58.8 percent of the CPC target with only 13 trainees. Without some change, within two years, N90's staffing is projected to decline further to 48.3 percent of the CPC target.

Problems resulting from the N90 staffing crisis were highlighted by events on Saturday, July 22, 2017. On that day, a ground delay program was implemented due to the N90 staffing limitations on the evening shift, which resulted in an air carrier canceling 50 flights. Subsequently, the airline voiced their concern and disappointment to the FAA, the U.S. Department of Transportation, and members of Congress. There is now a considerable amount of awareness and focus on staffing at N90, and an increased sense of urgency from the Agency to implement a plan to address the issue.

Quote from natca

Remington

Aug 16, 2016
People should really push for the facility to be moved off LI. I get the politics with the high paying jobs but they should fight it. It’s kinda ridiculous that they let the busiest airspace in the country get this understaffed.

splendor34

Newcomer
Aug 31, 2010
People should really push for the facility to be moved off LI. I get the politics with the high paying jobs but they should fight it. It’s kinda ridiculous that they let the busiest airspace in the country get this understaffed.
1. its going to happen they dug their own grave. I wish I remember the big black guys name from queens he watched his brother get murdered decided he should enlist became an airforce controller in Iraq. He would have checked out only he didn't want in the end I think everyone remembers his famous last words I'd rather take a bullet in iraq then work here
2. The union and faa dug their own grave but you can see the dereliction or abdication of responsibility no one wants to take blame you weren't getting 100 airforce controllers to replace the work force and rather than work with what they had it was 4 weeks lets shove you guys out to somewhere else.
3. Why would anyone come back after theyve built a life somewhere else making 100k where it goes alot farther. In an economy with a recession is one thing in an economy like this is another
4. islip already has a double count it isn't a level 12 area we all know thats a lie but on the flip side newark is without a doubt the hardest sector in atc to work id argue the world those guys are special