New York TRACON - N90

kcharles0124

Newcomer
Aug 27, 2015
What would you guys say is the hardest position in the EWR area? I've always been curious about N90 and possibly along my career path I'd like to end up there in some form or another and preferably work newark.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Def Mugzy/Zeebo (satellite arrivals). You basically only have 2 altitudes you can use with extremely busy traffic and since the Bravo doesn’t protect TEB you have VFR’s all up in your business not talking to you thinking they’re the only planes in the sky. I think it’s the toughest position in ATC on a busy day.

JStewart66

Nov 19, 2008
N90 - EWR
www.stuckmic.com
Def Mugzy/Zeebo (satellite arrivals). You basically only have 2 altitudes you can use with extremely busy traffic and since the Bravo doesn’t protect TEB you have VFR’s all up in your business not talking to you thinking they’re the only planes in the sky. I think it’s the toughest position in ATC on a busy day.
Yeah. It’s pretty much a nightmare. Yet another glaring example of airspace not be classified properly... and until someone dies, no one will care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kobejness

Newcomer
Aug 4, 2017
Are any prior experience/military controllers on here currently training or have been through training at N90? Looking for the inside scoop regarding N90 academy & facility training, work-life/culture and general info on what to expect going in. Also looking for the best housing options and average monthly take-home pay for a single male making D1 salary (excluding TSP contributions) in Long Island. I start training at the academy late November and expect to be in NY early March.

@DeltaHotel

Newcomer
Apr 27, 2018
I'm at the academy now... just finished RTF yesterday and doing TSEW now. What branch are you from? I think as long as you are not Army you should be fine. I am like a fish out of water here.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

kobejness

Newcomer
Aug 4, 2017
Haha was in the Army but coming with some radar experience. Did you start out in the D1 pay-band at the academy?

@DeltaHotel

Newcomer
Apr 27, 2018
Haha was in the Army but coming with some radar experience. Did you start out in the D1 pay-band at the academy?
No I don't think you start at D1 at the academy. I believe it kicks in when we are at N90. My class is split with priors and OTS.

I was a tower flower. Just be prepared to be an over flowing cup of water. Learn aircraft types and Airliners. I came here only knowing OH58, AH64, UH60, C130, and CH47. =(

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk