No At-sat in the fall

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
So, how can fall '12 CTI people graduate without taking the AT-SAT? I thought a passing AT-SAT score was a requirement in order to complete the CTI program and be recommended for hire to the FAA?

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
The ATSAT has nothing to do with your CTI program. The CTI program teaches you the basics, then you take what you learned and take the ATSAT. Your CTI program is through your college, and the ATSAT is run through the FAA, which are totally different.

You don't need the ATSAT to graduate, you do need it to do anything ATC related with you degree.

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Well, you don't "take what you learned and take the AT-SAT", because you don't need any aviation related experience to take and pass the test. That's what it was designed for, a screen for OTS hires to judge whether or not they're able to perform the job without them going VRA or CTI.

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
That's crappy for everyone in the situation then. Go through the FAA APPROVED program to be hired as a controller, and you can't even apply because they're not offering the test!

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
That's crappy for everyone in the situation then. Go through the FAA APPROVED program to be hired as a controller, and you can't even apply because they're not offering the test!
lol i know, i especially feel sorry for the chick turning 30. The same thing happened to me last year when i had to retest believe it or not

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Thank god I got picked up at the last panel before my score was set to expire...lol

Although, I was put on the list and got the email from RVA to retake the test back in the spring time. I just declined it though because I got selected.

HeartnSky07

Rookie
Dec 31, 2011
Prescott, AZ
So, how can fall '12 CTI people graduate without taking the AT-SAT? I thought a passing AT-SAT score was a requirement in order to complete the CTI program and be recommended for hire to the FAA?
Obviously i still graduate from my college LOL, i just have to wait to take the ATSAT exam.

czylgs

Newcomer
Apr 30, 2011
Chicago, IL
Here's what I have heard from school administration in regards to the FAA's conference calls on the matter. FAA keeps changing its story/mind month to month. They went from October testing to December to October/November to cancelling the fall to January/February. The newest bit of information is that they are putting out a bid for a new company to administer the test. My contact surmised that due the government's snails pace at making these decisions, the AT-SAT may not be until May, which completely undercuts December grads like myself.

Definitely frustrated, but it certainly lives up to the ATC career credo of "hurry up and wait". I certainly hope its earlier than May. I'd like to have the process moving along before I start getting hit with the avalanche of student loan payments that will start coming.

elegktis

Newcomer
Apr 26, 2012
Has anyone heard any updates on this? Are they still trying to push the spring AT-SAT back to January/February?

ware230

Trusted Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
IL Enroute CA
Last I heard from the teleconference was spring and likely after the panel which they adressed would place additional hardship on recent CTI grads who have yet to test. With the election over, I'm sure this fiscal cliff business needs to be averted first before they go finalizing a deal with a new contracted testing agency. If the budget is reduced due to the cliff the operationg funds get slashed all the way around and with thousands in queue waiting I don't see them having a rush or need to place the atsat at a top priority.

If all goes well budget wise, I've heard March or later for testing.

ware230

Trusted Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
IL Enroute CA
It's funny and indicative of how things run; same telcon, and multiple take-aways. Hopefully it will work out for those waiting.

nabbyfan

Newcomer
Dec 12, 2012
USA
Anybody know anything more on whether or not the ATSAT will be offered this spring? I guess we will find out more once we avert or go off the cliff.

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
I'm not discrediting what ware230 said, but I'll let you know what my instructors said. They said the contracting bid would go out in December and likely not be decided on until February or March. Therefore, the actual testing most likely wouldn't be until April. They also said that it could result in a much later panel than normal because the agency wanted to allow testing to take place first.

I have no idea if any of this will come true, but this is what my instructors said following the telecon.
I think they have decided on Robinson Aviation (RVA). I am not really sure, but I was looking for jobs on their website and this posting was on their lisntings 7 times at different locations around the country.

"
Test Proctor (Atlanta, GA)

Test Proctors required to administer pre-employment tests on an as-needed basis for Oklahoma City based company. Position may require extensive travel, skill in addressing small groups, as well as the ability to:
Closely follow directions, procedures, and protocols;
Work with personal computers and office equipment;
Work effectively in a variety of settings;
Ensure security for the duration of the testing event; and,
Conduct business outside of normal office environments.
The qualified applicant will have:
Education, training and experience in test administration;
Experience in addressing small groups; and,
Experience in using and setting up computers and other related equipment in a variety of settings.
Additionally, the qualified applicant will have the ability to move up to 100 lbs, crawl and bend without restriction, and will be able to obtain approval by a government agency to work under this effort.
"

The pre-employment test sounds to me like the AT-SAT.

Anyone's thoughts on this?
Still have no idea when the test would actually be given, but at least this is maybe a start.

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
I think they have decided on Robinson Aviation (RVA). I am not really sure, but I was looking for jobs on their website and this posting was on their lisntings 7 times at different locations around the country.

"
Test Proctor (Atlanta, GA)

Test Proctors required to administer pre-employment tests on an as-needed basis for Oklahoma City based company. Position may require extensive travel, skill in addressing small groups, as well as the ability to:
Closely follow directions, procedures, and protocols;
Work with personal computers and office equipment;
Work effectively in a variety of settings;
Ensure security for the duration of the testing event; and,
Conduct business outside of normal office environments.
The qualified applicant will have:
Education, training and experience in test administration;
Experience in addressing small groups; and,
Experience in using and setting up computers and other related equipment in a variety of settings.
Additionally, the qualified applicant will have the ability to move up to 100 lbs, crawl and bend without restriction, and will be able to obtain approval by a government agency to work under this effort.
"

The pre-employment test sounds to me like the AT-SAT.

Anyone's thoughts on this?
Still have no idea when the test would actually be given, but at least this is maybe a start.
Interesting. When was this? i just checked out their site but i dont see a test proctor opening..

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
Interesting. When was this? i just checked out their site but i dont see a test proctor opening..
I don't know anything about rva but they seem to have 2 sites. google and check out the rvainc.net one. It was up when I made that post and still up on that site.

nabbyfan

Newcomer
Dec 12, 2012
USA
Was emailed today by a professor at UND stating that the FAA has no plans to administer the ATSAT at any CTI school this semester, and that they are looking to have it held at authorized testing centers nationwide. Take it with a grain of salt, but thats the word at UND.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Right now my school is saying that it will be in late March or early April. Take that with the usual could-be-a-load-of-shit disclaimer as usual.