No More DOD Age Waivers?

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
Spoke to a Navy ATCFO last week, she said the Navy has stopped all age waivers, and lumped ATC in with Security, so the mindset is no age waiver for ATC based on Security physical requirements, which is asinine. It's created a crisis for the Navy, they can't hire anyone out of the applicant pools, everyone is to "old."

Feb 28, 2012
All 11ish of our DoD civilians are retiree's and all retired from here. Most had their slots waiting for them before they retired.
I'm referring to recently. I was told "no age waivers" started in the beginning of June. Any word after that, anyone get hired older than 36 recently?

Feb 28, 2012
Spoke to a Navy ATCFO last week, she said the Navy has stopped all age waivers, and lumped ATC in with Security, so the mindset is no age waiver for ATC based on Security physical requirements, which is asinine. It's created a crisis for the Navy, they can't hire anyone out of the applicant pools, everyone is to "old."
I just emailed an ATCFO I used to work for (never thought of that until I saw your post). My current boss told me-

"The purpose for the ATC waiver was for a shortage in manning. Now when we post a new position, we have to scifer through over 100 qualified applicants. There is no longer a shortage".

Feb 28, 2012
My old ATCFO just got back to me, he can only speak for the DON.

He said: "There are no more age waivers for anyone older than 36. Waivers may or may not come back. They can still hire after age 36, but only on 4 year term employment contracts. Similar to the FAA hiring retirees (5 years)".

VM_AIRBOSS

Dec 28, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Heard the same thing, DON which includes the MC, has stopped all age waivers.

We had a controller who had to wait a year, after being selected, for his waiver to get approved this past May, he was one of the last ones that I know about...

Chief

Newcomer
Aug 23, 2009
Philadelphia Area
From the OPM veteran guide...

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/

[h=3]Age Qualifications[/h]On July 2, 2008, the Merit Systems Protection Board (Board) issued a final decision in Robert P. Isabella v. Department of State and Office of Personnel Management, 2008 M.S.P.B. 146, that affects preference eligibles who apply for federal positions having a maximum entry-age restriction. The Board decided that the agency's failure to waive the maximum entry-age requirements for Mr. Isabella, a preference eligible veteran, violated his rights under the Veteran Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) because there was no demonstration that a maximum entry-age was essential to the performance of the position.
Based on the Board's decision in Isabella, qualified preference eligibles may now apply and be considered for vacancies regardless of whether they meet the maximum age requirements identified at 5 U.S.C. 3307. In order to determine whether it must waive a maximum entry-age requirement, an agency must first analyze the affected position to determine whether age is essential to the performance of the position. If the agency decides age is not essential to the position, then it must waive the maximum entry-age requirement for veterans' preference eligible applicants. In instances where the maximum entry-age is waived, the corresponding mandatory retirement age for these individuals will also be higher because it will be reached after 20 years of Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) service for the entitlement to an immediate enhanced annuity.
The same principles set forth above would apply to appointments to other types of positions for which the setting of maximum entry ages are authorized under 5 U.S.C. § 3307. These types of positions are: (1) firefighters, (2) air traffic controllers, (3) United States Park police, (4) nuclear materials couriers, and (5) customs and border patrol officers (subject to the Federal Employees Retirement System, 5 U.S.C. § 8401 et seq. only).