No More New Hires Going To Level 8 and Above TRACON's

stebramic

Newcomer
Jun 10, 2011
Can anyone confirm whether this is true? I was told today that no one (VRA/DODREIN/CTI) will get sent to a level 8 facility or above on initial hire now. Reason for this I was told is due to washout rate.

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
New hire here starting next month going to a level 12 tracon..... lots of others as well.... maybe with the next round of hires, but currently, no that is not true.

Ice_cold656

Epic Member
Jun 12, 2010
Bout to be out this B
Well the thing about that is this. While that may work for Towers and TRACONS. This simply will not work for some of harder to staff Enroute facilities because finding a Tower or a TRACON CPC that wants to move to the center environment is hard to come by. While I can see this "only sending new hires to level 8's and down" a possibility in the near future it currently isn't the case.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
It is level 10 and higher terminal facilities, and this has been for awhile. This rule only applied to OTS or CTI hires, not to anyone with ATC experience.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
I know plenty of guys going to NY Tracon
That's because it is the ONLY way to get people to come here. You open a bid for pretty much any other level 12 Tracon in the country, and in most cases they'll get more bids than they'll know what to do with them. Here..you're lucky to get 4 or 5 experienced controllers to bid in a year, and we have a continuous open bid all the time. They're forced to send newbies here, or this place runs totally empty pretty fast. The hope is that by brute force of numbers, they'll get some of the sharpest newbies to check out in one of the two less complex areas (ISP-LIB), and then do in house transfer to EWR-JFK-LGA.

PhillyManlove

Dec 18, 2013
Philly
That's because it is the ONLY way to get people to come here. You open a bid for pretty much any other level 12 Tracon in the country, and in most cases they'll get more bids than they'll know what to do with them. Here..you're lucky to get 4 or 5 experienced controllers to bid in a year, and we have a continuous open bid all the time. They're forced to send newbies here, or this place runs totally empty pretty fast. The hope is that by brute force of numbers, they'll get some of the sharpest newbies to check out in one of the two less complex areas (ISP-LIB), and then do in house transfer to EWR-JFK-LGA.

Phillmanlove has noticed that C90 is in the same boat. It seems that no one wants to step up to that mess. They had a continuous bid for like a year.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
yea I'm going to n90. i don't have a fb though.
Well, if there's 10 of you I got good news and bad news. The good news is...there can only be 4 at a time in the EWR class, which means 6 of you will be lucky enough to win the "not going to EWR" lottery.

The bad news is...... 4 of you will be in the EWR class.

eric86

Sep 4, 2008
BX
Well, if there's 10 of you I got good news and bad news. The good news is...there can only be 4 at a time in the EWR class, which means 6 of you will be lucky enough to win the "not going to EWR" lottery.

The bad news is...... 4 of you will be in the EWR class.
thats fine with me... i don't mind a challenge.. but is ewr really that bad?

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
thats fine with me... i don't mind a challenge.. but is ewr really that bad?
It can be if you don't have both the ability, and the thick skin required to work the sector. Its busy, but there are plenty of other places that have much more volume of traffic. Places like ATL, ORD, DFW, LAX work higher traffic numbers than us. What sets us apart is the complexity level here is much higher, and the margin for error is slim to none. Some of our flows have "crazy" written all over them. We have created fake "rules and procedures" that are not covered anywhere in the .65 to justify operations that would be deemed illegal anywhere else in the country, but if they didn't have those, things would slow to a crawl, so in order to keep traffic moving, they look the other way, and pretend is legal.

We run the most illegal operation in the county and you gotta be ready to accept that.

eric86

Sep 4, 2008
BX
It can be if you don't have both the ability, and the thick skin required to work the sector. Its busy, but there are plenty of other places that have much more volume of traffic. Places like ATL, ORD, DFW, LAX work higher traffic numbers than us. What sets us apart is the complexity level here is much higher, and the margin for error is slim to none. Some of our flows have "crazy" written all over them. We have created fake "rules and procedures" that are not covered anywhere in the .65 to justify operations that would be deemed illegal anywhere else in the country, but if they didn't have those, things would slow to a crawl, so in order to keep traffic moving, they look the other way, and pretend is legal.

We run the most illegal operation in the county and you gotta be ready to accept that.
yea that sounds like my style of controlling.. i don't mind breaking rules... how is the crew in EWR and how do they determine where your going?