No more WQ or Q

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
I hate to sound like an asshole, but if you can't score a WQ on a screening exam for one of the most stressful jobs in the world, then you won't cut it. Some people are bad at testing because they can't handle the pressure. You have 6+ hours to complete some of the most mundane tasks on a computer, it's not difficult. Even if this were true, I would NOT want to be categorized with people who only scored a Q. I took the test in my pajamas with a cup of coffee next to me. It's not a hard test.

Should schools be looked at? No. I went to Vaughn, so of course I'm against this. My education cost a fraction of what someone who went to Riddle paid. Is that my fault? No. They could've gotten the same CTI slip, an associate's degree, then gone to Riddle for a bachelor's. They have simulators, we had (until the ruling was enforced in 2011, I finished my CTI courses by then, thank god) active controllers from the TRACON, ZNY, KFJK, KLGA and KEWR. People who worked the traffic day in day out in all 3 levels of the system. I'd rather be taught by someone who does the job than be able to use a simulator. No one told these kids to go pay for a $100k education and wind up in the same waiting pool as us. It was their choice.

Should your GPA be looked at? I think so, seeing how any other job looks at it as well.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but your score on your ATSAT is absolutely not indicative of how you will do as a controller. I've sat here at the CWSU desk for the last 3 years and have seen a ton of developmentals come through our facility. I've seen people who got 100 on their ATSAT wash out faster than you could blink. I've also seen people who barely passed go on to be VERY good controllers; in fact, some of them could be your trainers-- you never know! I wouldn't be so quick to not want yourself categorized with the qualified people, who you are basically looking down your nose at in your post.

On the flip side, I wouldn't say anybody from X school will make a better controller. Or anybody with X GPA. I've seen all shapes and breeds come through our facility and it's a different story every time. So, if one factor can not be looked at more than the other, if there is no rhyme or reason sometimes for who washes out and who doesn't, then why not look at all of it and try to get the most well rounded idea of an applicant that you can? I know when I was in school, everybody was all about doing extra curricular activities, volunteering, playing sports, and doing whatever you can to make your experience/resume more well rounded and attractive, because most employers look at these things. So, good on the FAA if they want to start looking at more things like most employers do!

KiloJuliet

Newcomer
Sep 18, 2011
Some advice to you young kids, lose the idea you're going to be maverick on the freq. The older controllers will break you down and make you feel like an idiot.. ATSAT means nothing, you don't have a trainer in your ear ripping you while your testing..

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Some advice to you young kids, lose the idea you're going to be maverick on the freq. The older controllers will break you down and make you feel like an idiot.. ATSAT means nothing, you don't have a trainer in your ear ripping you while your testing..
Can I be goose? I don't want to be iceman though. Val Kilmer was very attractive then but now he is fat.

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
why would that be a good thing?

so anyone who makes a 70 can be in the same class as those who made a significantly better score?

i don't think that is entirely fair...and i don't know that the score should even be so low in the first place. 70-84.9..

Would you say the same about the CTO test? A 70 carries just as much weight as a 100.....

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
My current employer trusts me with revenue decisions for an airline. So idk bro, it's okay to not be so serious. Y u mad tho?
Seeing as most airlines are hemorrhaging money, you must be quite capable. So do I mail you my radar ticket now or do you just show up to train me when you get hired?

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Seeing as most airlines are hemorrhaging money, you must be quite capable. So do I mail you my radar ticket now or do you just show up to train me when you get hired?
All I ever said is if you can't pass the ATSAT you a retard. It's like addition and multiplication. If you are a cpc and score a 70 that doesn't say anything about your controlling ability. Just your general mental capacity.

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
All I ever said is if you can't pass the ATSAT you a retard. It's like addition and multiplication. If you are a cpc and score a 70 that doesn't say anything about your controlling ability. Just your general mental capacity.
This assumes the AT-SAT is scored by how many answers you get correct....but that is not the case because, as plenty have seen people get 100's all the time, but I can guarantee you NOBODY takes a test for 8 hours and gets every single question correct.

undsioux

Rookie
Jan 30, 2012
I think the AT-SAT is just a giant conspiracy to begin with, nobody knows exactly how its graded. I believe you take the test while a man behind a secret wall judges your every move and gives you a random score based on absolutely nothing.

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
To me this post means that they are only having one classification, but in my opinion it won't mean 70-100 will be qualified, but maybe 80-100. I guess I just don't understand the purpose of making everyone who scores 70-100 in the same group. I feel like they could use this to thin out the applicant pool. As to whether the AT-SAT is a good tool for doing that, I have no opinion on.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
They should do it like the Military does with promotions..

If you in the need for new hires.. you Lower the score, so say 70 is pass.

If you Don't need to hire anyone you raise the score to like 90.

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room

Its also spatial awareness. My wife has none of that so I suppose shes functioning at a below average IQ since I don't think she'd pass the ATSAT. Somebody should alert the DEA because my retarded wife (in your view) has a prescription pad!

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Its also spatial awareness. My wife has none of that so I suppose shes functioning at a below average IQ since I don't think she'd pass the ATSAT. Somebody should alert the DEA because my retarded wife (in your view) has a prescription pad!
I will bet you your doctor wife passes the ATSAT no problem.

atc3400

Sep 27, 2011
Richmond, VA
a cti school is a cti school.

that is just the way it is.

we are all on the same team here! c'mon guys!

can i just be charlie? maybe iceman?!?!?