Noob here. OTS with a class date I think...

Justin636

Rookie
Oct 30, 2011
Hello all!

A little background on me: I originally applied for ATC back in feb of 2008, and have been waiting ever since. I'm straight off the street with no experience, but have always had a passion for flight, just never considered it feasible to be a pilot. Anywho, I took the AT-SAT and scored a 100, and then was interviewed at ZFW. Ever since then I have been renewing my clearances and just waiting for my turn to have a class date.

This brings me to 2 weeks ago. I randomly received an email from my HR rep congratulating me on being chosen for a class date starting dec 15, 2011. This all depended on a final drug test of course, which I was able to complete 2 days later (never used a drug in my life so it was of no concern to me). Micki told me it could take a week to a week and a half to get my results back and then she would get my paperwork mailed to me.

Ok so my question... Is this normal to be emailed about the class date before receiving the FOL? Should I take this seriously or wait till I have paperwork in hand before I start planning my living situation in OK? Of course all my friends and family are excited that I'm finally getting the opportunity, but I just don't want to see them get disappointed if something changes before I receive the FOL?

Thanks for any help guys!

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
My personal recommendation: have all your ducks in a row, but don't commit to anything until you have the FOL. Call around and find where you want to stay. Figure out how you are going to get to OKC. If you have to get out of your current housing arrangements see what needs to be done there. etc. I got a call with 1 class date and 2 days later was changed to a different class. Although my change was to a class starting the same week, the point is it can ALWAYS change but its less likely to do so after receiving a FOL. Once I had my FOL, I was out of my current lease, had housing set in OKC, and gave notice at my current job all within an hour.

Justin636

Rookie
Oct 30, 2011
My personal recommendation: have all your ducks in a row, but don't commit to anything until you have the FOL. Call around and find where you want to stay. Figure out how you are going to get to OKC. If you have to get out of your current housing arrangements see what needs to be done there. etc. I got a call with 1 class date and 2 days later was changed to a different class. Although my change was to a class starting the same week, the point is it can ALWAYS change but its less likely to do so after receiving a FOL. Once I had my FOL, I was out of my current lease, had housing set in OKC, and gave notice at my current job all within an hour.
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate. How long typically does it take from the time i received the email to the time i recieve my FOL?

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
It varies.

Wow you've been waiting a long time. That may be a record here on StuckMic. I'm guessing you aPplied to PUBNAT 4? I applied PUBNAT 5 in June of 08 and am through most of my training at my facility.

In case you have any doubt the job IS worth the wait. Congrats on the class date.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
pretty much what your saying is what happens for the majority of people. i would consider it real and your going to the academy soon. sucks you'll be in OKC for the holidays. congrats though and be ready to study your a$$ off.

Justin636

Rookie
Oct 30, 2011
It varies.

Wow you've been waiting a long time. That may be a record here on StuckMic. I'm guessing you aPplied to PUBNAT 4? I applied PUBNAT 5 in June of 08 and am through most of my training at my facility.

In case you have any doubt the job IS worth the wait. Congrats on the class date.
Grea! A record lol! I'm not sure what pubnat I applied for, but when I pulled up the ASAP site (or whatever they changed it too recently) I thought it said pubnat 2 or 3. Anyways that's besides the point.

Thank you for your help.

Justin636

Rookie
Oct 30, 2011
pretty much what your saying is what happens for the majority of people. i would consider it real and your going to the academy soon. sucks you'll be in OKC for the holidays. congrats though and be ready to study your a$$ off.
Thank you for your advice.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Feb. '08 was PUBNAT1. He's a FEBOT! I thought those guys are all either CPC or moved on to something else by now.

Congratulations, good luck to you.