Nor Cal TRACON - NCT

passafist

Sep 7, 2008
NORCAL TRACON
I just got picked up for NCT and would love some insight into my future Facility. Anyone working at NCT that won't mind being bathered considerably with a multitude of questions please respond to this thread or PM me.... Thanks....

Echo_Whiskey

Rookie
Feb 2, 2009
I just recieved and accepted an offer for NCT as well. I grew up in Sacramento so I am already bias towards the city, I love it. I have spent th last 9 years in the military and have seen a lot of places. San diego and LA are great but Sacramento has that charm and beauty other cali cities don't have. as far as the facility goes, it's pretty damn nice. I went on a tour today and was more than impressed. The staff is friendly and very positive. Training seems like it is set up to run smoothly and result in quality quals. I can't wait to get started working there. I to should be at the LA PEPC, the 23rd for me.

ATCnowFAA

Newcomer
Apr 6, 2009
Hey guys I too am set up for NCT. I am still active duty and was invited to the April 23rd PEPC but am going the Traditional route and already had my interview! I would have to say where is the facility? I have looked up the address that says it is in Mather CA on douglas road. But when i map quest it, it can't find it.... I am able to find Douglas Road which runs through Rancho Cordova and Mather area just not the facility.

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
Did you apply OTS while still active? How long before your date of seperation did you start applying? I am in the same boat and taking CTI classes. I get out in January '10.

Echo_Whiskey

Rookie
Feb 2, 2009
I would have to say where is the facility? I have looked up the address that says it is in Mather CA on douglas road. But when i map quest it, it can't find it.... I am able to find Douglas Road which runs through Rancho Cordova and Mather area just not the facility.
Its about a 15-20 minute drive from the city, head east on Hwy 50, exit Sunrise Blvd. south then turn right on Douglas road, you can't miss it. Beautiful new facility, you'll see the radio towers and flags soaring high. The landscape around Mather is very rural, rolling green meadows with oak trees and cattle strewn about. Some new housing developements to the east of the facility or starting to pop up, Anotlia I believe is the main one. I'm looking at houses in that area, about a 4 mile drive to the facility from there.

b_bordenave

Dec 3, 2008
Folsom
I just got reassigned to NCT from ZOA. I'm living in Folsom right now, so I won't have to move now. Still waiting on a class date.

oresama420

Newcomer
Jul 17, 2008
Hey whats up fellas,

I am a fairly new hire working at NCT. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have, as this whole process can indeed be very confusing. Granted as a trainee there is ALOT I do not know but I'll do my best in hopes of just being able to help you out in any way that I can, so feel free to post here or just pm your boy, lates. -

dmevans

Sep 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Hey whats up fellas,

I am a fairly new hire working at NCT. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have, as this whole process can indeed be very confusing. Granted as a trainee there is ALOT I do not know but I'll do my best in hopes of just being able to help you out in any way that I can, so feel free to post here or just pm your boy, lates. -
What area are you in up there? I have a few buddies up there that work in the Licke/Seca sectors up there.

r9s

Newcomer
Dec 26, 2010
i see the bid out for NCT. does anyone on stuckmic work there? many vacancies? what is the traffic like? i see you have 5 specialties, right? i hear sacramento is a great area - but do i want to move to california?

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
anyone have any info about the area? i saw the bid out too and i'm considering putting in for it..i'm married with 3 kids. looking to see how the general area/cities/neighborhoods are, schools and what not.

lecoyle

I'm Banned For Unrespectable Reasons
Apr 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
anyone have any info about the area? i saw the bid out too and i'm considering putting in for it..i'm married with 3 kids. looking to see how the general area/cities/neighborhoods are, schools and what not.
I'm a CTI student in Sacramento- I have heard a lot of the peeps at NCT live in the El Dorado Hills/Cameron Park area. It's a nice place to live. I have a lot of friends/family in that area, and would highly recommend living closer to there than Rancho. (Although Rancho is nice in some areas, I would move to Eldo/Cameron Park with the kids.)

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
thanks! i've been trying to read about Sacramento, since i've never been there...i read different things about it. such as avoiding bad areas and what not...which areas should i generally avoid? are there good areas in west or south sacramento? i only keep reading about gold river & folsom...

lecoyle

I'm Banned For Unrespectable Reasons
Apr 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
thanks! i've been trying to read about Sacramento, since i've never been there...i read different things about it. such as avoiding bad areas and what not...which areas should i generally avoid? are there good areas in west or south sacramento? i only keep reading about gold river & folsom...
Avoid South Sac like the plague. I wouldn't go any farther west than Folsom if I was working at NCT. You can afford better. There are SOME nice areas, for some reason all the houses on Fair Oaks Blvd are nice but the street weaves in and out of good/bad neighborhoods. Some parts of Midtown are nice. The freeways in Sacramento suck so you don't want to be in between them. Carmichael will drive you crazy in rush hour. If you do move somewhere more towards downtown make sure you are close to 50, like no more than 5 miles. Arden seems nice but don't be fooled it's GHETTO. I moved onto Howe Ave, thinking it's nice, I'm right across the street from the best restaurant in Sac and people get mugged there at night.

Really, though it is best to aim for Folsom/El Dorado Hills/Cameron Park/Placerville. Sometimes Placerville gets snow in the winter so be prepared for that; but it is really nice being up the hill (nice foothill views, apple hill in Camino is awesome). Cameron Park is cheap and nice. Placerville and Cameron Park are kind of far from shopping, but it's not bad. I lived in Cameron Park for a while and it's a nice little area with an airpark at the airport. El Dorado Hills and Folsom are the most expensive, and they are pretty safe. El Dorado Hills has lots of fun concerts and stuff in the summer, and a great sense of community. Although keep in mind a lot of the neighborhoods have snotty people that make for annoying neighbors.

Nware411

Newcomer
Jun 17, 2012
I just came across these forums. I am just about to begin my CTI program here in Sacramento at SAC City College. I have been living in Folsom for 12 or so years so I know the immediate area pretty well if you have questions. I was wondering if there are any of you currently at NCT that could offer a tour? I am really excited for CTI and would like to see a local facility and how it operates.