Norfolk Chambers NGU

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
Looking to get in touch with anyone who is currently there or recently there as a civilian. Would like to know if they are 11's or 12's, and do they get SSR. Are they up and down or just TWR, and what is the current traffic like. Also what is the facility atmosphere like with regards to management. How is the training program?

Thanks.

makemywords

Rookie
Nov 30, 2011
NGU has a TWR and GCA. ORF handles the arrivals/departures. I know they have two towers, one for the runway and a "helo tower" that works a lot of the helo traffic over the bay, not sure how the controllers are divided up between the towers and GCA...

Traffic seems steady during the weekdays with E-2/C-2/helo traffic but nothing crazy.

Trickione

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2011
Navy SSR? That is a great joke! Only very few facilities have it. Lemoore, Whidbey, Fallon, and maybe 2-3 more. Usually the crappy areas no one wants to live.

TreyDeezy

Rookie
Oct 14, 2011
California
The civilians at NGU are not controllers, at least when I was there a long time ago. They are GS-10s or 11s and are ODOs. Basically the supervisor in Flight Planning working alongside the Navy Flight Planning supervisor, but is in charge of it all while on duty. This could have changed though. I was stationed there from 1996-1999.

OhhhGee

Feb 1, 2012
norfolk va
Not that way anymore. They still have the flight planning civilians but there also hiring civilian controllers to work in the crews.

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
Here is the scoop I received from the ATCFO:

Hiring first civilian to work ATC, GS-11 when hired, GS-12 when qualified throughout, will be required to qualify and maintain currency at both towers, but the helo tower will be ran on the day to day by military controllers. Long term plan is 3 civilians, but they struggled to get funding for just one. She was unsure of SSR and PCS costs. Unsure of how liberal the leave policy and dress code policy would be. Primary goal and mission is training Navy controllers. Supervision would be rotational every 2-3 years as you would work for the ATCFO, who rotates out.

The real situation is that they had a big investigation and a significant portion of their military work force, including FWS's, TS's, and RS's were terminated from the rate, due to reasons such as gun decking logs, falsifying medical up slips, improper procedures, safety, fraternization, etc. So they have been in crisis mode for around 6 months now, minimum manning due to not having enough qualified controllers, they can't get them in from the military fast enough, most military who get sent there are new and/or inexperienced, and so it's not a fun situation right now. No one can take leave, work schedules suck, and the controllers who are there are unhappy and looking for relief.

So whoever accepts this job will be walking into a situation that will require alot of patience and work, and also the first civilian ATC hire there, which in itself poses much to consider. I would presume that in lieu of what has happened there, that the first year or two would be pretty rough and under the microscope of the Command structure, and being the first civilian hire and considering the current atmosphere, pretty rigorous work model until things got back to "normal."

joerock1988

Newcomer
Jul 28, 2009
Wheeler Army Airfield, Hawaii
In response to your post. I currently work at Naval Station Norfolk as one of the civilian controllers (GS-12) and can tell you that the Sailors are not unhappy or disgruntled, as you paint the picture. Chambers may have had some issues in the past, but your position as a civilian controller has nothing to do with military business. Work Schedule, it does not suck. It is like any other Navy facility. What you expect to be off for 5 days and only work 2???

If a person wants to know about SSR and PCS cost, they should contact the HR office that is listed on the announcement, instead of reading the post of someone that has no idea.

The Leave Policy is, if you have the time on the books, it is your right to use them, but keep in mind, you do have to get Rated and yes you will be required to maintain currency and proficiency on all positions, as with any facility. NOTE: If you don't want to work, please don't apply, because I don't want to work with whining "B's".

Dress Code: Professional Professional Professional. Casual dress.

"So whoever accepts this job will be walking into a situation that will require alot of patience and work" Well that is true, if you accept this job, as I did, expect to work (you don't get paid to sit on your ass) and you must have patiences in any situation.

Lastly, if I was the boss in Hawaii, before I would approve a duty swap with you I would see what I am receiving, because to me it seems you are not the caliber of worker I would want in my facility. Don't post information that you have no clue about and putting the ATCFO out there without letting her know you did it.

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
In response to your post. I currently work at Naval Station Norfolk as one of the civilian controllers (GS-12) and can tell you that the Sailors are not unhappy or disgruntled, as you paint the picture. Chambers may have had some issues in the past, but your position as a civilian controller has nothing to do with military business. Work Schedule, it does not suck. It is like any other Navy facility. What you expect to be off for 5 days and only work 2???

If a person wants to know about SSR and PCS cost, they should contact the HR office that is listed on the announcement, instead of reading the post of someone that has no idea.

The Leave Policy is, if you have the time on the books, it is your right to use them, but keep in mind, you do have to get Rated and yes you will be required to maintain currency and proficiency on all positions, as with any facility. NOTE: If you don't want to work, please don't apply, because I don't want to work with whining "B's".

Dress Code: Professional Professional Professional. Casual dress.

"So whoever accepts this job will be walking into a situation that will require alot of patience and work" Well that is true, if you accept this job, as I did, expect to work (you don't get paid to sit on your ass) and you must have patiences in any situation.

Lastly, if I was the boss in Hawaii, before I would approve a duty swap with you I would see what I am receiving, because to me it seems you are not the caliber of worker I would want in my facility. Don't post information that you have no clue about and putting the ATCFO out there without letting her know you did it.
Sorry you are all fired up joerock, this was information that I received during a phone interview with the ATCFO. I don't see how this information that was provided to me by a member of the facility is any reflection on my career or work ethics. There is some contradicting information in your post however: (According to ATCFO) 3 months ago there was no civilian ATC personnel at NGU, military controllers were very unhappy and the situation was tense due to insufficient manning as a result of the big wash out, your position as a civilian controller has much to do with military business as you are responsible for training military controllers, and would work directly for the ATCFO supervising the shifts, and no leave granted until FWS.

Lastly, I adhered to SM policy by not stating any personal information. Position titles and information pertinent to the thread subject are legal. I took notes during this interview, and asked very detailed questions, we spoke for over an hour, and I am certain that I have posted the information I received correctly, despite your dissenting opinion. As it was explained to me, there is a big disconnect between the workers and management, thanks for verifying.

It's not personal, and no offense was intended. While I appreciate your pride for your employer, it's not your facility. With respects to dress codes, they are governed by base commander policy or CBA, not the HR department.

You might want to review OPM leave policies as well, with regards to your "rights" statement. My guess is you have not been DoD very long.

Hope things get better for you up there.

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
Bazinga! I've heard the same shit atcfris has been posting.
That's what was explained to me 3 months ago or so. The ATCFO said the situation was desparate and they needed relief as soon as possible. At that time she said I was number one on her list, and the only one on her list. So in between then and now apparently joerock was hired, congrats to him for being selected. I would have proceeded with selection however I am currently tentatively taking another position overseas. 20 years in this career, I consider a successful 20, not sure how posting this information negated my calibur or work ethic, but to each their own.

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
Don't sweat it man. Some people just want to watch the world burn.
I know the ATCFO indirectly through fellow controllers, and I work with a retired ACCS from NTU who knows her and is very familiar with NGU, and today while posting the information he was nodding his head in agreement, I will leave it that. I relayed pertinent information, no disrespect intended to the ATCFO, or NGU. After reading my post several times, I still don't see any offensive information, just facts.

TGIF!

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
PSHHHHHH. Joe is serious about his job!
Like he owns it son, like thats his house! Funny, it appears he tried to pull rank on me, checking my paygrade before blowing me up with his emotional outburst. I'm wondering how he is GS-12, since the job is a GS-11 until FWS is achieved. He is a new hire, which leads me to believe he is a GS-11, on probation at that. Not unless he in-processed and checked out in 2 towers and the GCA, all within the last couple of months. Hell, maybe he did, I heard about a super controller once, and with his superior work ethic and claimed rights, I guess anything is possible.

I'm sure Joe is a nice guy, at least according to his POF profile and his 100% positive Ebay rating anyway, he is just new at the civilian game, and hasn't figured out how to keep his emotions in check, that comes with experience.

Stay thick skinned Joe, it's a long road the way you are driving.

PoppaNovember

Rookie
Nov 28, 2012
Like he owns it son, like thats his house! Funny, it appears he tried to pull rank on me, checking my paygrade before blowing me up with his emotional outburst. I'm wondering how he is GS-12, since the job is a GS-11 until FWS is achieved. He is a new hire, which leads me to believe he is a GS-11, on probation at that. Not unless he in-processed and checked out in 2 towers and the GCA, all within the last couple of months. Hell, maybe he did, I heard about a super controller once, and with his superior work ethic and claimed rights, I guess anything is possible.

I'm sure Joe is a nice guy, at least according to his POF profile and his 100% positive Ebay rating anyway, he is just new at the civilian game, and hasn't figured out how to keep his emotions in check, that comes with experience.

Stay thick skinned Joe, it's a long road the way you are driving.

Yeah you can disagree without making things personal Joe. Congrats on your new position. My boy Akizzzle is usually spot on!