Number of OTS Applicants?

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I was just curious about this...has the FAA ever published any official numbers on how many Pubnat applicants they've had? Is it thousands...tens of thousands? Anyone have any ideas.

I only heard about it because I have a friend who is an air traffic controller, so he told me to give it a shot. Outside of people in the aviation business I've never heard anyone talk about becoming an air traffic controller, so I was just curious as to how popular these positions actually were to the public. I know it's a desirable career...but do many people even know about the opportunity?

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
I was just curious about this...has the FAA ever published any official numbers on how many Pubnat applicants they've had? Is it thousands...tens of thousands? Anyone have any ideas.

I only heard about it because I have a friend who is an air traffic controller, so he told me to give it a shot. Outside of people in the aviation business I've never heard anyone talk about becoming an air traffic controller, so I was just curious as to how popular these positions actually were to the public. I know it's a desirable career...but do many people even know about the opportunity?

I don't know how people are finding out about these. I have a few friends who are controllers. If one of them hadn't've told me I never would've known.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
I don't know how people are finding out about these. I have a few friends who are controllers. If one of them hadn't've told me I never would've known.
I happened to hear about the shortage on the local news last February and decided to go online and see exactly what was required... there were several posting and I checked two of them and was like, um nope not qualified... and then instead of just saying screw it I opened the third one and it said open to the general public and I met the quals. I applied thinking I was missing something somewhere and still wasn't eligible, but low and behold a few weeks later got an email to take the ATSAT.

Tommy10

Oct 8, 2008
Rockledge, FL
I just happened to meet someone one night who worked for the FAA. I expressed my interest in the job but at the time I looked into it they were not doing OTS. He told me that they were now so I checked it out.

biggm16

Oct 16, 2008
I heard about it from the person in charge of my CTI program. Otherwise i wouldnt of had a clue.

chris13650

Dec 23, 2008
The agency continues to recruit high-quality candidates into the controller
workforce. Of the 1,815 hired in FY 2007, 1,019 were graduates of CTI
schools while an additional 666 had previous air traffic control experience,
either gained in the military or at the FAA. Seven percent of FY 2007
recruits were hired directly from the public sector. Approximately one-third
of new hires were military veterans.

The number of people in the hiring pool varies during the year
as the agency recruits applicants, evaluates them, and draws from the pool. However,
the overall goal is to maintain a pool of between 3,000 and 5,000 candidates available
for consideration by selection panels at any one time.

^^ copy and pasted from the faa website

squawk2480

Newcomer
Nov 18, 2008
Arkansas
The agency continues to recruit high-quality candidates into the controller workforce. Of the 1,815 hired in FY 2007, 1,019 were graduates of CTI schools while an additional 666 had previous air traffic control experience, either gained in the military or at the FAA. Seven percent of FY 2007 recruits were hired directly from the public sector. Approximately one-third of new hires were military veterans.

The number of people in the hiring pool varies during the year as the agency recruits applicants, evaluates them, and draws from the pool. However, the overall goal is to maintain a pool of between 3,000 and 5,000 candidates available for consideration by selection panels at any one time.

^^ copy and pasted from the faa website
The only thing that makes it hard to use those numbers is that the PUBNAT/OTS process didn't start until FY2008. I'm sure it has been far more than 7% over the past year.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
I found the PUBNAT posting about 30 seconds after I got out of a meeting where I was told that finance was not honoring my raise and promotion given to my by the President. I could write a chapter on why my job sucked and my 2 previous raise "IOUs" but needless to say after that meeting I went straight to my office and googled "non-corporate-money-sucking-bullshit blackberryless government aviation job" and PUBNAT 5 popped up. TA DA

Before there is a rebuttal about how ATC is still money-sucking and still has bullshit, this employer withheld 6 weeks of pay, then stripped and back-dated health insurance for all employees.

ineedatc

Trusted Contributor
Dec 14, 2008
Chi-town
I actually wanted to be an ATC when I was a kid. Had no clue how to go about. No one I knew had a clue how to go about so I kind of lingered on and on until I went to college for something different. My mom told me about something she’d heard about ATC on cnn, after her getting tired of me bitching about my corporate bullshit job. I applied and completely forgot about it. Figured I didn’t get picked. Got the Atsat test thing in my email. At first I almost didn’t bother opening the email because I figured it was spam…then I waited like 4 more days to even schedule. The testing location was literally right down the street from me. I don’t know what I was thinking, but I don’t think I will ever be that lax about anything in this process again.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
tens of thousand of people applied OTS. Dont believe me? I dont care.
How do you know that? I don't think tens of thousands seems that unrealistic, I'm just wondering if the FAA has every actually come out and said. And out of those tens of thousands how many people actually advance in the process. Not everyone even takes the AT-SAT, so how many people do they actually consider realistic candidates?

BoomerSooner77

Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
How do you know that? I don't think tens of thousands seems that unrealistic, I'm just wondering if the FAA has every actually come out and said. And out of those tens of thousands how many people actually advance in the process. Not everyone even takes the AT-SAT, so how many people do they actually consider realistic candidates?
...and how many of those are repeat applicants because they applied to every announcement.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
...and how many of those are repeat applicants because they applied to every announcement.
Another thing to consider. Or to add to that how many CTI people applied to both CTI and OTS announcements?

I guess I'm curious as to how many unique applicants there were/are. I know we may never see that number, just thought it would be interesting.

A

Adam

I apologize, had to clean this thread up, use the private messaging system for the war.

BoomerSooner77

Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
Kind of related, I happened upon this excerpt from a press release from the FAA...

Over the last three years, the agency has hired 5,000 new controllers and plans to hire more than 2,000 in fiscal year 2009. In the past five years, CTI schools have graduated more than 4,000 students from their aviation programs. Three thousand of those graduates were hired by the FAA.
That would indicate at MOST 3,000 of the 5,000 were CTI, however the 5k is over 5 years and the CTI 3k is over 5 years. So we can assume pretty safely that in the last three years, perhaps just over 2k of the 5k hired were CTI.

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
Kind of related, I happened upon this excerpt from a press release from the FAA...

That would indicate at MOST 3,000 of the 5,000 were CTI, however the 5k is over 5 years and the CTI 3k is over 5 years. So we can assume pretty safely that in the last three years, perhaps just over 2k of the 5k hired were CTI.

This was the figure without the pubnats. Imagine the amount of people who did not go through (or care to go) the CTI route right now and have a chance to apply for the job. When considering your response (general public not you boomer) please keep in mind that there are 50 states with millions of people living in them.

Thats why I said tens of thousands of people applied (ALL PUBNATS). Look at the "other" website and see how many of those knuckleheads applied.

Common sense people, common sense.

BoomerSooner77

Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
This was the figure without the pubnats. Imagine the amount of people who did not go through (or care to go) the CTI route right now and have a chance to apply for the job. When considering your response (general public not you boomer) please keep in mind that there are 50 states with millions of people living in them.

Thats why I said tens of thousands of people applied (ALL PUBNATS). Look at the "other" website and see how many of those knuckleheads applied.

Common sense people, common sense.
I probably didn't phrase what I meant to say well, LOL, imagine that.

I was making reference to some folks that were making projections of future CTI hires with the increase in CTI schools using 100% essentially of students as CTI hires. This press release would indicate only 75% were hired, so to be conservative on forward guesstimates I would use 75%, maybe 80% instead of 100%... I think it was probably in a separate thread but this one happened to be in recent posts when I saw the info... LOL

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
I was told by our MNGR that there have been around 80,000 applications this for this year compared to about 5,000 last year. For those of us who have made it in already we should feel pretty damn lucky. Best of luck to those still in limbo. It's the hurry up and wait game....keep checking that email!
I told you guys. What now IneedsATC (thats how you should spell it!). Dont ever doubt my information son son! AIGHT!

LOL I KIDD I KIDD

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
I was told by our MNGR that there have been around 80,000 applications this for this year compared to about 5,000 last year. For those of us who have made it in already we should feel pretty damn lucky. Best of luck to those still in limbo. It's the hurry up and wait game....keep checking that email!
5,000 I'll believe. 80,000 seems a bit high. But, assuming that number is accurate, that's applications not applicants. There have to be thousands of redundant applications in the system from people who keep reapplying. And how many of those 80,000 are people who saw something about atc, took the ATSAT and got a 20, but keep reapplying?