NY Facilities

atcBOB

Rookie
Dec 26, 2008
I graduated in Dec 2008 and just missed the last CTI announcement, so I just applied to the CTI announcement hat opened up today. For Geo pref I just put throughout NY. I know places like JFK and ZNY were hurting for people couple of years ago. Does anyone if that's still the case? I was hoping to get in one of the major towers, JFK, LGA or ZNY. Or are they filled with trainees now and aren't in need of people? I'm just wondering if I should add another state to my geo pref. I need a job!

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
I graduated in Dec 2008 and just missed the last CTI announcement, so I just applied to the CTI announcement hat opened up today. For Geo pref I just put throughout NY. I know places like JFK and ZNY were hurting for people couple of years ago. Does anyone if that's still the case? I was hoping to get in one of the major towers, JFK, LGA or ZNY. Or are they filled with trainees now and aren't in need of people? I'm just wondering if I should add another state to my geo pref. I need a job!

JFK isn't hiring. Try getting a tour and watch them basically say go F' yourself. They also said that the ATO makes that decision and not them. LGA couldn't answer if they needed people either. I was told to just apply on asap, which I already did. Your best bet is to work En Route like ZNY or N90. ZNY facilitates a hundred or so people, much easier to be trained in, but takes longer to be certified. Towers are small, and they can only train 2 or so people at one time. LGA has 2 new trainees at the moment. One is learning Local and the other just got in and doing Clearance. I doubt they will bring in another person untill a year or 2. It would suck having to train someone all the damn time.

I'm curious to know what did you get on your ATSAT?

GQ007

Rookie
Jun 19, 2008
NYC
Towers are small, and they can only train 2 or so people at one time. LGA has 2 new trainees at the moment. One is learning Local and the other just got in and doing Clearance. I doubt they will bring in another person untill a year or 2. It would suck having to train someone all the damn time.

Not true at all....you'll soon learn what training is all about at facilities

Alex E

Rookie
Jun 28, 2008
JFK has 20 developmentals with only 1 person checking out in the last 3 years. LGA has quite a few developmentals (not just 2) as well. Not sure about EWR.

belot64f

Feb 15, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
www.facebook
ZNY will be getting about 8 or 9 new hires in mid June....me being one of them. There are currently about 6 OTS hires in the basics class, who will link of with myself and 2 other CTI hires for the main Enroute class on 3/18, which ends 6/17......then all 9 of us head to ZNY. I can't say for N90, although I DID want N90 as a first facility choice!

atcBOB

Rookie
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks everyone for the information. Damn seems like everywhere I was hoping to go is pretty full. Don't know if I should add another state or not though. My ATSAT score is 89.5.

nb2fd

Newcomer
Nov 27, 2008
Long Island
Theres 3 N90 people in my class including myself and I think theres one more in OKC right now. Hopefully you get hired around the area im sure you wont have a problem you probrably will end up with ZNY

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
Everywhere in New York is hurting for people. But training is starting to get backed up at ZNY, that doesn't mean they will stop bringing more in. I think ZNY is slated for something like 34 new hires this year. Typically about 6-9 new people show up every 3 months or so.

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY
There was a group of like 10 going to ZNY today, and like belot64f said there are at least another 6 from my class.

GQ007

Rookie
Jun 19, 2008
NYC
EWR has around 9 developmentals last I checked... I am heading to an EWR satellite airport which in hindsight is cool for the simple fact that it's less busy, I'll be 1 of 2 developmentals (the other is 6 months ahead of me and will check out soon), and I can check out faster than I ever would going to a NYC major and reach CPC status (no one has ever failed to check out at my facility).

BoRn2CoNtRoL

Apr 29, 2009
Virginia Beach via Jersey
no worried about it someone is gonna have to check out there eventually....and it will be me im not worried about traffic load im worried about complexity of the airspace because i talked to alot of aircraft in my life

clashl4

Newcomer
Nov 30, 2008
williamsport,PA
I saw you are prior air traffic. I am too and im also going to N90.Just dont know when yet got my TOL June 24. I'm like you.Not worried about the workload of planes as much as the complexity and LOA's and stuff. I heard its good to go to your facility once you get your FOL and just see how training works there,meet the people,etc. Also i heard alot of bigger facilities have a frontload course(maybe a DVD rom or something) to get you started so when you get there you will be ahead of the curve

Nov 14, 2008
On one hand I want to congratulate you for getting into the FAA and a very exciting career. Wish you guys the best of luck.

On the other hand, I feel really bad for you because if you're hard-working and fortunate enough to check out, you'll be working 6 day work-weeks with more overtime than you can shake a stick at.

Facilities like N90 have so many washouts that it's hard to predict how long it'll take before they're adequately staffed. It's likely gonna be a while.

BoRn2CoNtRoL

Apr 29, 2009
Virginia Beach via Jersey
your like the third guy to tell me that i cant over concern myself with the negative and six day work weeks wont be that bad i do them now in the navy wont mind the overtime rate also... because in the navy u dont get that so ill work overtime and get overtime money....ya digg!

NYcGaNgStEr

May 12, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Born do your thing man! Don't listen to all this bullshit.. Us controllers with experience ARE already above the curve, its just learning their way of doing things! I'd love to be sitting in your shoes right now I start Term leave in Feb and can't wait to get on this next referral list!