Oakland Center - ZOA

hokielaurie

Rookie
Sep 16, 2013
What are the milestones for one to progress from D1, D2, D3, CPC at ZOA? I am trying to understand how fast does one typically achieve D1, then D2, then D3, then CPC at ZOA? Thank you.

MikeKiloRomeo

Feb 28, 2016
Question - From what little I know, you only have so much time to CPC or they nest you. If an air traffic controller (female) has a child while at her facility but before CPC, and takes 2 or 3 months off to care for child, does that time off count as part of her allowed time to CPC?

Say they give you 3 years (36 months) to CPC at a center. Woman reports to center for her first day of work. Then maybe has a baby a year later. Say she takes 3 months off as part of FMLA. Does she now only have 21 (1 year + 3 months she was out) months to certify? Or does that 3 months she was on FMLA not "count" toward that 3 years.

I know this is an HR question, but just looking for any insight. Thanks!

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
No the 3 years isn't set in stone. Each D side and R side has a minimum Time and a maximum time allowed for training at that specific sector. So let's say your first D side is 75hrs minimum and 150hrs maximum. So when you're training on that sector the earliest you can get certified is 75hrs or at 150hrs you're taking the check ride (unless you go to the training board and they give you more time). Anyways only the time that you're on the job training are you plugging away at these hours. If you're gone for a baby, vacation, sick, whatever it is, since you're not training, you're time is on pause.

dongsaeng

Newcomer
Oct 20, 2015
California
Anyone at ZOA who has any knowledge with ATOP/Ocean21/Oceanic sectors? Since Oakland Oceanic provides ATC services from 5500 and up, how would you guys deal with an arrival to some uncontrolled island airports out in the Pacific like Wake Island, Majuro, and Kwajalein? Are they an exception? I kinda understand that departures get their IFR clearance similar to uncontrolled airports except with more departure control instructions.

ibreezeby

Jul 7, 2015
Re: What is ZOA like?

Hey, so I will be starting at Oakland center here very soon, I'm looking for advice on places to stay initially.. I have no idea where a good place is, or what I can expect to afford.. If anything. Any information would be awesome!

gsujake

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2011

Hey, so I will be starting at Oakland center here very soon, I'm looking for advice on places to stay initially.. I have no idea where a good place is, or what I can expect to afford.. If anything. Any information would be awesome!
I use to play fun run with a guy with the same name as you...

gsujake

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2011

I bet that same guy is going to Oakland too! Hahah enjoy Florida!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Yea man, I hope you enjoy Oakland! We are driving through Louisiana right now. Goodluck to you!

AlphaLima

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2008
A black hole

Expect to spend...a lot. And then some more.

Center is in Fremont, Fremont is overcrowded suburbia, spent a year there and hated it. Fremont, Union City, Hayward, expect to spend ~$2000 for a 1/1. ~$2300-2500 for something with 2 rooms.

From what iv seen most people live in the Pleasanton/Dublin area and the areas around it (Livermore, San Ramon). A little more expensive but nicer places for your dollar. 1/1 ~$2400 and 2s ~$2600.

If you're after the big city experience most people would look at San Jose but thats not me so i cant help you there. Forget the peninsula, prices go up exponentially. And San Francisco itself? Hah. Some people do it but they are on dual incomes and spending crazy money just to be there. Bart will take you there for $10, even if it is loud and dirty.

Single family homes start at about $3000 but thats a good deal, expect more $3500+. Some people go out to Tracy and there are much more reasonable prices but that commute is suicidal. Its 50 miles one way and 580 is literal hell. 680 sucks, 880 sucks, but 580 is the worst. At least on 680 you can take Niles Canyon and there are multiple places to abandon 680 and get on Foothill which feeds into Niles. With 880 you're stuck on it, surface streets are worse than sitting in a parking lot.

channes8

Rookie
Jan 16, 2013
Litchfield, MN
If anybody is coming out here I have a recommendation of a private Air BnB room for $1500 a month. A good place to start at while you look for somewhere more permanent. 1 mile or a 3 minute drive to the center. Contact me for more information.

Bullingju0

Newcomer
Sep 4, 2008
I work at ZOA and live in Oakland, near Lake Merritt. The commute is about 25 minutes door to door on low traffic days. If you get a crew with weekdays off, you'll only hit traffic a couple times a week and then your drive is roughly 45 minutes. We pay 1750 for a 1/1 in a good neighborhood. Oakland is a great place to live as long as you find a good neighborhood which isn't difficult. I've found that everyone thinks Oakland is a crazy crack den with gangs running the show but that's not even relatively close to the truth. I lived in one of the worst areas of Oaktown for a year when I moved out here ($900 a month for a 2 bedroom?!? Can't pass that up!) and got introduced to sideshows (cool as shit to watch from your roof) and all sorts of other unique Oakland behavior. Never had a problem, personally. There were lots of shootings and car break ins, but as long as you protect your shit you'll be fine. My meth head neighbor even chilled on his porch for 10 hours one night and made sure my truck was safe just because I brought him pizza once.
If you can deal with a lot of noise and keeping everything locked up/out of sight and don't wander down the streets at 2am the cheap and rough Oakland areas (International and 98th) are a steal. I saved a ton of money there and it gave me time to find something decent. Also it made for a lot of really weird stories. You can even buy a house out there for 350k and it will be pretty nice. I know people get nervous about living out there, but you adapt and it keeps you out of debt until you get some raises and can afford the better areas.