Oakland Center - ZOA

MissLCoop

Sep 21, 2009
I would say my estimate was pretty darn close!;)

I actually AM on my way there, hopefully sooner than later if the facility is in need of controllers. That's great that you guys are making $160k+, but how long have you been there? My point was merely that it will be awhile for a new hire to make that much. The pay chart shows a CPC makes between $133,435 and $180,137 (that is WITH locality). Incidently, what is CIP pay?
I posted this question elsewhere, but here seems to be a better place for it. I too am on my way to ZOA and like atcavi8or, I'm curious to know what my checks will looks like as an AG new hire. Any developmentals on here wanna help us out? I've started to apartment search, but without knowing what I can realistically afford, I'm kind of stuck. Thanks in advance!

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
i'm gonna try and help you out since i'm sure you're anxious for someone to give you some insight...the developmental starting pay for a level 11 (ZOA) is $52,485 a year + 35.15% locality pay is $70,933...and if you get CIP as well which is 10%, then it would be $78,026. that doesn't include sunday/night differentials, although as a developmental the first few months you'll be working day shifts while going to classes.

you divide $78k by 12 and you get $6502, then divide it by 2 (gets you per pay period estimate), and you get $3251...then you just estimate taking a few hundred bucks for federal & state taxes and I would guess you would get somewhere between $2500-2700 per pay period. This number is just a total guesstimate though since i'm just guessing the government will take out between $500-700 in taxes. but at least that'll give you an idea of roughly how much you would make. hope that helps!

MissLCoop

Sep 21, 2009
Reggie, how r u getting $52k? I thought ag pay was $37k out of the academy? Thanks!!!

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
oh you know what...i took that from the "atc pay scale" that's on here...i didn't calculate that from what you'll be making while you're in the academy. I'm not sure if you start making the $52k once you check in the facility or if you have to check out with one position first. that's something an actual developmental would be able to answer....i know when i started way back then, i was making a certain amount at the academy, then when i started working at my facility, i had to get checked out with my first position they call an "A" side (ripping strips, putting on tiles and posting on the position) which we don't do anymore. i checked out on that then i got my first pay raise which was probably the base pay for a developmental back then....it's a lot different now so i don't know how you get from the "academy pay" to the "atc pay".

my guess is $37k/yr is standard pay for everyone until they get sent and start working at their facilities.

Last edited:

titans83

Mar 9, 2009
Antioch, TN
im a ZOA developmental still working on my first D-side and can tell you that at the academy the paychecks were about.. $650 after taxes and once I got to the facility it was $1340 after taxes. The insurance i picked was about $80 a paycheck and Ive been contributing 5% post tax to my TSP program. Hope this helps!

the AG pay for ZOA now in 2012 is $51,600/yr after locality plus the extra 10% CIP added to the base.. I'm not quite sure what that is.

MissLCoop

Sep 21, 2009
im a ZOA developmental still working on my first D-side and can tell you that at the academy the paychecks were about.. $650 after taxes and once I got to the facility it was $1340 after taxes. The insurance i picked was about $80 a paycheck and Ive been contributing 5% post tax to my TSP program. Hope this helps!

the AG pay for ZOA now in 2012 is $51,600/yr after locality plus the extra 10% CIP added to the base.. I'm not quite sure what that is.
Thank you! So, this just proves that we have to check out on one position before our first raise. We will start at $37k(ag pay) right out of the academy, then add locality(35.15%) and CIP(10%)..and we r around $52k before taxes. Which will be very hard to live on until our first raise. Where r the developmentals living?

Leonard

Newcomer
Nov 14, 2008
AG is academy graduate. D1 pay is when you get 2 D-sides. D2 is after all your D sides (which for oceanic is 2 so you just skip from AG to D2) D3 is 2 R-sides and CPC is everything. so for your first 8+ months expect to be in the AG pay scale which is the 37k + whatevers which comes out to about 50k.

MissLCoop

Sep 21, 2009
AG is academy graduate. D1 pay is when you get 2 D-sides. D2 is after all your D sides (which for oceanic is 2 so you just skip from AG to D2) D3 is 2 R-sides and CPC is everything. so for your first 8+ months expect to be in the AG pay scale which is the 37k + whatevers which comes out to about 50k.
Thx Leonard...any advice on where to live for the first year would be greatly appreciated. Are there like 8 developmentals living in a 2 bedroom apartment somewhere?

gfunk19

Newcomer
Feb 1, 2011
I posted this question elsewhere, but here seems to be a better place for it. I too am on my way to ZOA and like atcavi8or, I'm curious to know what my checks will looks like as an AG new hire. Any developmentals on here wanna help us out? I've started to apartment search, but without knowing what I can realistically afford, I'm kind of stuck. Thanks in advance!
I just washed from there. It's a little over $50,000 with locality. I was paying the smallest amount of union dues, (can't remember how much per month) about $120/mo in health insurance, and putting 6% in the TSP and my paycheck came out to $1440 each. If you're able to share an apartment with another trainee in your area, DO IT, it will be very helpful financially and with training. Also keep in mind that EVERYTHING in the bay is more expensive, not just the housing, so getting a modest place may be best at first. Hope this helps!

MissLCoop

Sep 21, 2009
I just washed from there. It's a little over $50,000 with locality. I was paying the smallest amount of union dues, (can't remember how much per month) about $120/mo in health insurance, and putting 6% in the TSP and my paycheck came out to $1440 each. If you're able to share an apartment with another trainee in your area, DO IT, it will be very helpful financially and with training. Also keep in mind that EVERYTHING in the bay is more expensive, not just the housing, so getting a modest place may be best at first. Hope this helps!
GFunk, if u don't mind me asking.....any advice for training once we get to ZOA?? Hopefully, ur going to a diff facility now? Feel free to PM me.

Reggie, I haven't even gone to OKC yet...waiting on my FOL. Gotta make it thru the academy first...and people r failing left and right from what I've been reading lately.

Hatch100

Rookie
Feb 7, 2012
I recently got a redirect from CA terminal To ZOA.
Original TOL 06/062012
Med/Sec Cleared 11/3/2012
Any information on future class dates?

Oct 16, 2011
There has not been a post in this thread in a while. There are about 80 being picked up at ZOA this fiscal year. If you are one of them and want to talk to someone, pm me. I'm a current controller and work in the training department.