Oakland Center - ZOA

Ice_cold656

Epic Member
Jun 12, 2010
Bout to be out this B
April for me as well ;-). Figure with the first class of the year going( to the best of my knowledge) entirely to ZOA hopefully we all can make some connections and figure out a roommate situation with out to much hassle. Looking forward to it. OKC in less than a month! Getting everything wrapped up here in the ATL. Can't wait to head west.

Philatc

Jun 13, 2012
SoCal
I'm looking at seven apartments this week and I'll let you guys know whats up. I won't be going to the Lakeside apt since I'm way above the income bracket.

LAN210

Newcomer
Apr 4, 2012
April for me as well ;-). Figure with the first class of the year going( to the best of my knowledge) entirely to ZOA hopefully we all can make some connections and figure out a roommate situation with out to much hassle. Looking forward to it. OKC in less than a month! Getting everything wrapped up here in the ATL. Can't wait to head west.
Are you a new hired to ZOA? When is your class date? I asked for a redirect to ZOA and was approved now just finished my drug screen refresh today. Sounds like HR is really pushing to get people through.

Philatc

Jun 13, 2012
SoCal
explain this income bracket
Well you have to make less then the maximum amount for the housing complex. I told the person that I will be making 78k a year. He laughed and said yeah not happening. You'll have to call and ask since everyones family ia different. Family size determines the maximum allowed income.

Ice_cold656

Epic Member
Jun 12, 2010
Bout to be out this B
Well you have to make less then the maximum amount for the housing complex. I told the person that I will be making 78k a year. He laughed and said yeah not happening. You'll have to call and ask since everyones family ia different. Family size determines the maximum allowed income.
Wait, what? You can't live somewhere because you make TOO much money? Explain this.

Philatc

Jun 13, 2012
SoCal
Wait, what? You can't live somewhere because you make TOO much money? Explain this.
It's "affordable housing" ie for them low income families. States like ca and ny have these programs to help out people who are not making cash money. The average pay in the Fremont area is 80k. Well obviously working at jack in the box isn't paying you 80k a year. So what ever you and your wife make together has to be below a certain amount. It varies from place to place. So a VRA will not be able to live at that apt since we make 78k. Just trying to look out for you guys out there. Heck two CTI guys could get together and say they make 50k a year and possibly live there. You can always search affordable housing in x to find a better price then what you'll see on the apts website. Just because it states 1600 for a 1 bd doesn't necessarily mean that apt complex does not have affordable housing. Always go to wiki and look up affordable housing for a more detailed information.

Philatc

Jun 13, 2012
SoCal
So had a chance to take a look at the facility this past week. Wow talk about laid back....shorts and a t shirt...kinda confused but then again we are controllers. Anyway so much for that business casual look I had planned. I'll be seeing the rest of you 17 peps in the Jan class. Anyone in socal whose driving? I'm considering driving out to okc be able to swing it in 19 hrs just hate driving that far. Plus I'm leaving cali to return to cali vs leaving the East Coast stopping at okc then to cali.

The Shadow

Rookie
Jul 2, 2008
Right of center
If you are looking just at schools, I would avoid anything north of Union City ie:Hayward, San Leandro. The Peninsula has nice schools but rents you probably couldn't afford. Anything along the I-680 corridor between Pleasanton and Walnut Creek will have good schools and not to pricey. You'll find Livermore and points east to be cheaper with good schools and many young families. Try to keep your commute under 45 minutes each way. It's just not worth it, trust me.