Oakland Center - ZOA

K_C

Newcomer
Apr 6, 2014
Oklahoma
My husband has a ZOA TOL as well. We have been stuck in Oklahoma the last 7 years so we are excited for an area with culture!

harv

Jun 15, 2008
Is ZOA accepting ERR's? Does any one know how the current staffing is?
You really have to check usajobs more often. ZOA just had a bid out that closed last month, with move money. So chances are they will happily make your ERR. But I don't know how many people put in for the bid. If you are a NATCA member, I suggest you call the local rep and inquire. Not many Center CPC's are trying to go to the high cost of living.

garretnealjones

Newcomer
Dec 5, 2011
Grafenwoehr, Germany
Just looking to get a feel on things in regard to costs/pay. If anyone has a moment that works at Oakland ARTCC, here are my questions:

1. I'm gathering it's quicker to make CPC/step increases in pay on oceanic. Is that true? If so, what's a decent timeframe to expect the pay increases?

2. How rough is it starting with the base pay you get as an initial trainee at the facility?

3. Does anyone know a ballpark figure of what each of the current trainee steps are with regard to pay?

Thanks guys!

titans83

Mar 9, 2009
Antioch, TN
Just looking to get a feel on things in regard to costs/pay. If anyone has a moment that works at Oakland ARTCC, here are my questions:

1. I'm gathering it's quicker to make CPC/step increases in pay on oceanic. Is that true? If so, what's a decent timeframe to expect the pay increases?

2. How rough is it starting with the base pay you get as an initial trainee at the facility?

3. Does anyone know a ballpark figure of what each of the current trainee steps are with regard to pay?

Thanks guys!

1.) I m in one of the oceanic areas. We have 2 radar sectors and 4 Non-radar/ATOPS sectors. Once you get both D-sides you go from AG to D2. Then once you get either both R-sides or All 4 of the oceanic sectors you go to D3 and then whichever you have left (r-sides or atops) you go to CPC.

2.) I lived with 2 roommates and paid about 700 a month in bills and was fine. I mean, its not impossible to live here on your own with AG pay but you won't have a nice place unless you have either roommates or some other form of income.

3. When I was going through training in 2011-2013 AG was around $52k/year (1400 per check after taxes), D2 was $97k/year (2000 per check after taxes), D3 was $114k/year (2300 per check after tax) and now as CPC its about $134k/year. (Around 3000 per check after tax)

titans83

Mar 9, 2009
Antioch, TN
Is ZOA accepting ERR's? Does any one know how the current staffing is?
Good lord yes. I don't think ZOA will turn anyone down tbh

Staffing is okay in domestic and terrible in oceanic... at least we've been told its okay in domestic but idk anything about domestic

NovaZDC

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2009
Not to mention a stink normal 1900 square foot bungalow house will cost you like 800k. I figure there aren't many takers for the San Fran area. Unless your spouse is a CEO.

hokielaurie

Rookie
Sep 16, 2013
Just got a pTOL with a projected Enroute OKC training of July 2016. Anyone know if ZOA is short staffed / looking to bring in trainees in the Sept timeframe (a year from now)?

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
Just got a pTOL with a projected Enroute OKC training of July 2016. Anyone know if ZOA is short staffed / looking to bring in trainees in the Sept timeframe (a year from now)?
ZOA is always short staffed. Pretty sure they always have slots to fill and if you want to get here, they won't turn you away! Key now is getting in a class that has slots for ZOA.

malmaraz

Trusted Member
Sep 30, 2013
San Diego CA
ZOA is always short staffed. Pretty sure they always have slots to fill and if you want to get here, they won't turn you away! Key now is getting in a class that has slots for ZOA.
Hopefully I'll be getting everything finished and a FOL soon...I have my physical this week...I'm trying to get ZOA...I'm in SoCal at that moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
I've been sitting at the CWSU desk the last 6 years watching all walks of life walk through here as a developmental. First of all, being well received is part of the game at any job. If you are a complete asshat, it's not going to get you very far. Having said that, I think that is a stretch to say that is why ZOA washes people out. The training here is tough for a lot of reasons, one of them being that our training department has actual controllers running it that don't take any BS. You come here, you work hard, play the game, stay out of trouble..... you'll do just fine. Same goes for any other facility probably.

malmaraz

Trusted Member
Sep 30, 2013
San Diego CA
I've been sitting at the CWSU desk the last 6 years watching all walks of life walk through here as a developmental. First of all, being well received is part of the game at any job. If you are a complete asshat, it's not going to get you very far. Having said that, I think that is a stretch to say that is why ZOA washes people out. The training here is tough for a lot of reasons, one of them being that our training department has actual controllers running it that don't take any BS. You come here, you work hard, play the game, stay out of trouble..... you'll do just fine. Same goes for any other facility probably.
I agree...how's everything going up there? You get your physical scheduled yet?

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
I agree...how's everything going up there? You get your physical scheduled yet?

Nope! I tried to go around Robert Clayton and I just hit a dead end again. Still no answer from him! :\