Oakland Center - ZOA

drewlsv

Newcomer
Jun 13, 2009
San Diego
I've been sitting at the CWSU desk the last 6 years watching all walks of life walk through here as a developmental. First of all, being well received is part of the game at any job. If you are a complete asshat, it's not going to get you very far. Having said that, I think that is a stretch to say that is why ZOA washes people out. The training here is tough for a lot of reasons, one of them being that our training department has actual controllers running it that don't take any BS. You come here, you work hard, play the game, stay out of trouble..... you'll do just fine. Same goes for any other facility probably.
Agreed. ZOA was a tough facility to be at during the white book. But I've spoken with people from other facilities that said their facility was tough during that time as well. With the red book, things changed at ZOA. Mangagement/Labor relations got a lot better and the facilty received a much needed remodel. It used to have a Cold War era dinginess to it, now much more modern with good amenities. The diversity of the sectors there also keep it interesting. Worked two separate areas there, and enjoyed my time.

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
Yeah, when I first came in I think it was white book then. And the training department was kind of a mess. It was tough times back then. In the last few years with the overhaul, I really think it looks like they have their stuff together better now. Training is still tough, as it is at a lot of facilities, but you work hard and you can get through.

RomeoCharlie

Oct 13, 2010
California
Washing out of ZOA is the best thing that ever happened to me. The only good thing about that place is that you make a lot of money. For quality of life and a much more fun job go to a tower. It is pretty clear that the guys that have been there for 15+ years are miserable. It is a very hostile work environment and I would avoid it if you can. Also the fac rep there is a total dirt bag which doesn't help.

Last edited:

PA44tocenter

Newcomer
Oct 21, 2015
Does anyone here know of someone looking to swap with a ZTL controller. My wife is getting relocated to the SF area the beginning of 2016.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Does anyone here know of someone looking to swap with a ZTL controller. My wife is getting relocated to the SF area the beginning of 2016.
Doubt you would need to swap. ZOA is chronically short staffed and should frequently have bids out. Although I suppose with a swap perhaps you could get a quicker release date...

PA44tocenter

Newcomer
Oct 21, 2015
Doubt you would need to swap. ZOA is chronically short staffed and should frequently have bids out. Although I suppose with a swap perhaps you could get a quicker release date...

A faster release date is what I am looking for? If you know anyone please hit me up.

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
If you want to come to ZOA, you'll be welcomed with open arms. We're always short staffed. I don't think anybody gets denied trying to come here. Also, I'm pretty sure they can't deny you regardless because coming here would be an increase in pay, and if I am not mistaken, they can't hold you if you are going somewhere with a pay increase, right?

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
If you want to come to ZOA, you'll be welcomed with open arms. We're always short staffed. I don't think anybody gets denied trying to come here. Also, I'm pretty sure they can't deny you regardless because coming here would be an increase in pay, and if I am not mistaken, they can't hold you if you are going somewhere with a pay increase, right?
Incorrect. The only people that get priority in release dates is people getting a promotion (not a raise)... Aka, becoming a supervisor.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
If that were true then there wouldn't be people stuck at lower levels trying to ERR up and out.

PA44tocenter

Newcomer
Oct 21, 2015
Thanks for that Lyra. I picked up my ERR stuff toda, but I was hoping to find a mutual swap to get there faster. My wife needs to be in the SF area by early next year. If you could offer any contacts that want to get to ZTL I would really appreciate it. Also. Is Scott still the FACRep?

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
Thanks for that Lyra. I picked up my ERR stuff toda, but I was hoping to find a mutual swap to get there faster. My wife needs to be in the SF area by early next year. If you could offer any contacts that want to get to ZTL I would really appreciate it. Also. Is Scott still the FACRep?
yep, scott is still our natca guy as far as I know (I'm technically NWS/Dept of Commerce, so I am out of the natca loop even though I am here at the facility). He would probably be the best person to get in touch with regarding an even swap. I'll keep my ears open for you though! :)

ZOAinstructor

Newcomer
Dec 4, 2011
ZOA
If you want to know what it is like to work here, talk to people that currently work here. People that are bitter about not completing training are typically not the best source of information.

malmaraz

Trusted Member
Sep 30, 2013
San Diego CA
If you want to know what it is like to work here, talk to people that currently work here. People that are bitter about not completing training are typically not the best source of information.
So how is it there and the training program? do you know if they are going to be opening any slots in the future for students graduating the academy? ZOA is my #1 pick and I've read some great posts about the training there. Thanks for any info in advance, it's appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibreezeby

Jul 7, 2015
I would live in either of the tri-valley cities - Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore. They are all great places to live with a family and it's about a 30 minute commute to ZOA.
If a single guy, mid twenty's would be moving out there, what would be a good place to live? downtown like areas?

ibreezeby

Jul 7, 2015
I grew up in Livermore and honestly I would love to go back given the chance. The downtown area is unique and pretty much packed any night of the week. They have tons of restaurants, bars, and social event happenings every week, not to mention its wine country so there are a ton of wineries and breweries to check out. Its also a 40 minutes bart/car ride to the San Francisco/Berkeley so you can get out to the bigger city within no time.
Cool! Thanks for the response! I know san fran is expensive to live in, but do any controllers live out there and drive in?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

hokielaurie

Rookie
Sep 16, 2013
Hi I am interested in choosing ZOA given the choice after the Academy. However, I am pretty worried about living in the area with an income of less then $50,000 before taxes. Can anyone share some insight in terms of affordable and SAFE areas you would recommend near ZOA?