Offered Atlanta, NYC, and San Diego TRACON

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
I'm a TOL holder and have just finished my security and medical screening. I was recently emailed an offer with 3 prospective cities to choose from:

Atlanta TRACON
New York City TRACON
San Diego TRACON

That is the order in which I selected them. I'm a bit nervous with all of this. I have wanted to work for the FAA for so long, but was hoping for Tower. I was in the Navy for 5 years, acquired 2 CTO's and had a PAR/ASR final approach rating, NO experience in approach control at all.

Now I'm a contract worker and have a third CTO. I like my tower job, it's relatively easy and there is a lot of room for improvising, not everything is cut and dry. My primary basis here is that 90% of my experience is in VFR Tower traffic and the FAA is wanting to send me to some of the busiest TRACON facilities in the country, what do you think? I'm not ATC stupid, but my bread and butter is Tower which I'm guessing won't help me at all at a TRACON facility.

FCI

Feb 24, 2015
I'm a TOL holder and have just finished my security and medical screening. I was recently emailed an offer with 3 prospective cities to choose from:

Atlanta TRACON
New York City TRACON
San Diego TRACON

That is the order in which I selected them. I'm a bit nervous with all of this. I have wanted to work for the FAA for so long, but was hoping for Tower. I was in the Navy for 5 years, acquired 2 CTO's and had a PAR/ASR final approach rating, NO experience in approach control at all.

Now I'm a contract worker and have a third CTO. I like my tower job, it's relatively easy and there is a lot of room for improvising, not everything is cut and dry. My primary basis here is that 90% of my experience is in VFR Tower traffic and the FAA is wanting to send me to some of the busiest TRACON facilities in the country, what do you think? I'm not ATC stupid, but my bread and butter is Tower which I'm guessing won't help me at all at a TRACON facility.
I was given the same list as was a former co-worker of mine. A hard pill to swallow for sure!

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Well, so much for the faa basing your options on past experience lol. I'm training at N90 now if you have any questions about it. Btw, you should have put SCT #1 lol

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
I'm in the Chicago area now, was hoping to stay local. All of these areas are a cross country move for me. I'm pretty nervous about going from a tower only environment to a radar only environment, and at some of the busiest TRACONs in the country. I picked Atlanta as number 1 because cost of living in the area will be easier to manage, NYC and San Diego are ridiculous.

I suppose there is no possible way they would consider throwing me another option?

What makes it tougher is that when I put down my geographical preference a few months back I picked all the Midwest states, and the only choices they're giving me are all at opposite ends of the country.

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
I'm in the Chicago area now, was hoping to stay local. All of these areas are a cross country move for me. I'm pretty nervous about going from a tower only environment to a radar only environment, and at some of the busiest TRACONs in the country. I picked Atlanta as number 1 because cost of living in the area will be easier to manage, NYC and San Diego are ridiculous.

I suppose there is no possible way they would consider throwing me another option?

What makes it tougher is that when I put down my geographical preference a few months back I picked all the Midwest states, and the only choices they're giving me are all at opposite ends of the country.
I'll trade you all my towers for 1 SCT. Lol.

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
I'll trade you all my towers for 1 SCT. Lol.
Lol, I really don't want San Diego. It's over 2,000 miles away from family, it's very expensive, and the weather there is too boring. Atlanta > NYC/San Diego. I'd take a tower position at almost any decent sized Midwest city over these locations. I'm a little confused why they went directly against my experience and directly against my geographical preferences.

walter_white

Senior Analyst
Feb 1, 2015
It doesn't make much sense as to why you'd get that. I have a friend with close to 20 years in a busy approach that got offered a bunch of 5s and 6s.

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
Lol, I really don't want San Diego. It's over 2,000 miles away from family, it's very expensive, and the weather there is too boring. Atlanta > NYC/San Diego. I'd take a tower position at almost any decent sized Midwest city over these locations. I'm a little confused why they went directly against my experience and directly against my geographical preferences.
We live 40 miles away and wife makes more than I for the next few years atleast. So we can swing it this time. Well, perhaps they have a big need for Tracons this round to release pressure to ERR folks and decided that anyone with radar as a whole would be offered Tracon. Since there are less of them, they are spread out. Perhaps recent washes at those facs.

Here's a doozy, what if one or 2 of those 3 are not really available at all but are there to minimize collateral damage. Lol. Perhaps everyone will be going to NY Tracon.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Treat it like your first facility certification ever. Stay hungry.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
Hope you have a great drive and attitude or youll be on the nest within months, not being rude just honest. its possible just work hard.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
I wonder if they are laughing or crying during this very new process. I read here that these type of bids are coming out twice a year for a bit.
I just want a high-level tower. I hear that there's a lot of these 9s and 10s out there that think they're the hardest facility to check out in the NAS and are retardedly selective about who they pick up while they send people to these insanely difficult facilities.

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
I just want a high-level tower. I hear that there's a lot of these 9s and 10s out there that think they're the hardest facility to check out in the NAS and are retardedly selective about who they pick up while they send people to these insanely difficult facilities.
I don't understand why I didn't get a 6 or 7 tower based on my experience. PAR/ASR doesn't really set me up too well for a TRACON. Not saying I can't do it, but it's going to be a lot for someone like me.

SkylinesSuck

Trusted Contributor
Sep 4, 2009
asleep at work
Yeah, I'm scratching my head as to why you got those choices as well. Seems like they sent out those surveys only to chuck them in the trash can. Maybe they just need people at those facilities THAT bad and you guys were the only ones available to the ATO to assign at that time? I'm hoping since I won't get all my stuff done until the middle of July they will have filled all of those kind of slots and they start looking at the surveys to place people.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
Yeah, I'm scratching my head as to why you got those choices as well. Seems like they sent out those surveys only to chuck them in the trash can. Maybe they just need people at those facilities THAT bad and you guys were the only ones available to the ATO to assign at that time? I'm hoping since I won't get all my stuff done until the middle of July they will have filled all of those kind of slots and they start looking at the surveys to place people.
They seemed to look at mine, 2 CTOs and I got all level 7 towers and up/downs