Offered ZOA--thoughts?

Oct 16, 2011
Well I see the ZOA haters and trolls are out again. Ice - I work at ZOA and I'm involved in the training. You, or anyone else getting a call for ZOA may pm me and we can talk.

titans83

Mar 9, 2009
Antioch, TN
I'm a recently certified CPC at ZOA and I adore it, the only downside is how understaffed we are. I gave up ZAN for it and don't regret it at all. Even if it is ridiculously expensive.. And Fremont is a dump

(Lol just saw my signature, time for an update)

Ice_cold656

Epic Member
Jun 12, 2010
Bout to be out this B
Well, no sense in bashing ZOA any longer. I just signed my paperwork today. And its back to the west coast I go! I really can't think of anything quite as awesome as that! and going soon too! Now it's time to settle down collect my thoughts and put in some serious work.

Ice_cold656

Epic Member
Jun 12, 2010
Bout to be out this B
This is valuable information. I currently hold a TOL for WA Terminal and was thinking about requesting a redirect to ZOA. Working Oceanic is my dream, but the wash rate has kind of been holding me back. In-laws live in Walnut Creek so a nice BART ride into Fremont wouldnt be bad while training.
You can get a redirect to Oakland in less then 24hrs. Trust me. All you have to do is call. *BUT---I did find out an interesting thing today from HR. If you haven't ever selected CA as one of your States in a previous panel, whether you were picked up on that bid or not, you cannot get a redirect to a CA facility. Once your in the agency it's different, but for TOL holders, from what I was heard today, you have to have a record of choosing CA as a state selection on at least one panel you went through to complete and receive an amended TOL to go to that state. FYI. why, I'm not sure, but...yeah. So I would say if you put Cali down on a previous panel, you're good to go. :)

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
You can get a redirect to Oakland in less then 24hrs. Trust me. All you have to do is call. *BUT---I did find out an interesting thing today from HR. If you haven't ever selected CA as one of your States in a previous panel, whether you were picked up on that bid or not, you cannot get a redirect to a CA facility. Once your in the agency it's different, but for TOL holders, from what I was heard today, you have to have a record of choosing CA as a state selection on at least one panel you went through to complete and receive an amended TOL to go to that state. FYI. why, I'm not sure, but...yeah. So I would say if you put Cali down on a previous panel, you're good to go. :)
Ive been told this repetitively as well. So friggin annoying!

RomeoCharlie

Oct 13, 2010
California
You made the right choice coming to ZOA. I am a developmental and love it here. The people are great and I love living in the Bay Area. I have only seen two people wash out since I got to ZOA and both of them washed out in the lab, and one of them on his first eval (nice guy but he sucked). I work in the Ocean and it is a great place to work. We get D2 after 2 D-sides which is like 95k a year. I have been here about 6 months and I am almost done with my second D-side. I doubt you will find any other facility where you will get that in such a short period of time. I have heard that it is difficult to get out of here if you want to leave so hopefully like me you are here to stay. I have nothing bad to say about the place. I have seen the trainers go above and beyond to get people certified, and if you work hard and have a good attitude you will be fine. So I guess I will see you here soon. If you have any questions about ZOA feel free to PM me. Good luck at the academy.

spmyers

Rookie
May 4, 2010
ZOA Bound
Looks like I will be joining you folks. Finally got a call back from HR today and they were happy to offer me ZOA. LM should be hitting me up with an amended TOL here shortly! Pretty pumped!!!

riceroni87

Dec 2, 2012
Milwaukee
Where was this thread this whole time..... I wonder if were going to the academy at the same time.... if so.... wheres everyone thinking about staying

spmyers

Rookie
May 4, 2010
ZOA Bound
Hr certainly gave me the impression we would be going pretty early in fy14. At this point I am struggling as to where I would like to stay. I have read so many pros and cons about each of the providers. Needless to say we still have some time. I'd be curious to know where you all were thinking... Never hurts to have a good study group.

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
Make sure you guys all stop by the weather desk and visit me when you get here. You can't miss me-- I'm the only chick in the unit! :)

Billiebobb

Newcomer
Sep 29, 2011
Well I don't know if I should be happy to see that there is some actual movement on hiring, or worried because I have a TOL for ZOA and still haven't been called. I did put in for a redirect for ZID, and I am hoping that that is the reason I have not heard anything yet. I am clinging to the notion that "no news is good news", I have also emailed HR with no response so that either goes along with that theory or just adds to the confusion. I guess my question is. Is this type of situation normal when it comes to redirects or should I get more aggressive when is comes to info and HR?

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
zomg-- yes, chicks! :)

NE's got it right-- ZOA is so short staffed. You'd be hard pressed to get a redirect from here.

Ryan86

Apr 6, 2012
Is there a link anyone can share that shows current enroute staffing levels? Wondering which centers are at the top of list for new controllers needed.