Official HR Answers

rjaeger13

Rookie
Apr 5, 2013
I hate to sound pessimistic but it's just my rational thinking... for those worrying about whether they have enough community college or part time work to merely qualify are gonna have a rude awakening when they aren't selected. if you figure 40k people are applying for 1500 spots, out of those 40k there are going to be at least 2-3k highly qualified people with some outstanding credentials i.e. internships, experience, military training etc etc. i only rag on this topic cause i recently applied for a job opening as an assistant rail conductor. yes this has nothing to do with ATC but my point is i "qualified" for the job opening but had no shot of actually getting the job

dreweepoo

Jan 20, 2012
I hate to sound pessimistic but it's just my rational thinking... for those worrying about whether they have enough community college or part time work to merely qualify are gonna have a rude awakening when they aren't selected. if you figure 40k people are applying for 1500 spots, out of those 40k there are going to be at least 2-3k highly qualified people with some outstanding credentials i.e. internships, experience, military training etc etc. i only rag on this topic cause i recently applied for a job opening as an assistant rail conductor. yes this has nothing to do with ATC but my point is i "qualified" for the job opening but had no shot of actually getting the job
I hate to disagree, but this is my rational thinking. You are crazy if you think they will be scanning resumes looking for "internships" you may have had. The Bio-Test may have some questions where you can highlight direct ATC-experience, but there won't be many. Those who applied and are qualified will be equal. Doesn't matter how many years you've worked or how many degrees you have. This is simply a "pass" or "fail" requirement where you either possess the requirements or you don't. What will set applicants apart will be the ATSAT. Split in to two parts (Bio-Test and Cognitive), this test will try to figure out if you can "do" the job. Qualified applicants will be ranked based on total ATSAT score, with any vet pref added in. I was told there will be three categories of rank, although I see someone else says there will be two.

UnderControl710

Newcomer
Jan 20, 2014
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Bio-Test is there to appropriately disqualify unqualified people and could be weighted more than you would think. The FAA knows how many CTI graduates are already waiting and the work they have already put in, the Bio-test is there to filter through who they are. Not saying that the people with the associate degree will be looked at differently but I think the people having to do the math to see if they can even apply will have a hard time making it past the first cut. It is a questionnaire to ask you about your schooling, lifestyle and experience, that then qualifies you to move on the the next test. If you think all they are going to do is scan the Bio-test you're wrong. It is there to find the higher qualified people for the job which I am ok with. Just my hopes and thoughts...

PhillyManlove

Dec 18, 2013
Philly
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Bio-Test is there to appropriately disqualify unqualified people and could be weighted more than you would think. The FAA knows how many CTI graduates are already waiting and the work they have already put in, the Bio-test is there to filter through who they are. Not saying that the people with the associate degree will be looked at differently but I think the people having to do the math to see if they can even apply will have a hard time making it past the first cut. It is a questionnaire to ask you about your schooling, lifestyle and experience, that then qualifies you to move on the the next test. If you think all they are going to do is scan the Bio-test you're wrong. It is there to find the higher qualified people for the job which I am ok with. Just my hopes and thoughts...

4 year degree in english literature will be worth the same as a 4 year cti degree.

Mr.Texas

Mod
Jun 15, 2008
I did, and although I wish they would change that stupid Aviation Careers website, BB gave me this response:

Me: In regards to the age 31 requirement, I notice that the pdf FAQ says that you must be "appointed" prior to reaching 31 years of age per Public Law 92-297. Does "appointed" mean receiving a Tentative Offer Letter?

BB: Yes

Me: Are there any plans to change this?

BB: Not to my knowledge
MGCB,
BB gave you different information than what I got. I'm a FLM and just had this 31 yrs old TOL FOL and academy conversation with a "head of HR" Tuesday morning. TOL's and FOL's WILL NOT stop your age. The reason I contacted her in the first place was because of a flyer the FAA put out Tuesday morning. It stated "Start academy prior to age 31". I had never heard that before and couldn't imagine that was the case.

mgcb

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2011
Delaware
MGCB,
BB gave you different information than what I got. I'm a FLM and just had this 31 yrs old TOL FOL and academy conversation with a "head of HR" Tuesday morning. TOL's and FOL's WILL NOT stop your age. The reason I contacted her in the first place was because of a flyer the FAA put out Tuesday morning. It stated "Start academy prior to age 31". I had never heard that before and couldn't imagine that was the case.
I was worried that this was the case. I don't know what the deal is and why this is a big secret and/or the HR reps don't know about it? It seemed real fishy that the website would be updated so specifically and that it would be an error.

This process has been incredible and now this seems to be the final knockout punch to any chance I might have. I don't understand why these changes just started now. At the risk of going way above my head I think I may just contact someone very high up in HR to try and get to the bottom of this. I have nothing left to lose at this point. This is something that people need to be aware of and HR reps need to be informed of.

bernelong

Jul 16, 2011
New Windsor, MD
The best way to interpret the use of bio-data is like this: It's mainly looking to compare your past experiences in life with the experiences you'll most likely encounter in an Air Traffic Control position. Obviously, having experience in certain career fields will better translate to obtaining a position in the agency. Also, personality traits and attitude will undoubtedly be evaluated. I think the key word here in continuity.

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
I wonder what they expect the passing rate to be of the biographical questionnaire. If 30k people apply and say 2k aren't even qualified. 5k fail the biographical questionnaire, are they really going to administer 23k AT-SATs?

angelorozco101

Oct 27, 2011
🇺🇸
I wonder what they expect the passing rate to be of the biographical questionnaire. If 30k people apply and say 2k aren't even qualified. 5k fail the biographical questionnaire, are they really going to administer 23k AT-SATs?
No, I think a computer will randomly select from there.

AvInErDgUrL

Dec 5, 2013
From all of the things circulating it basically seems like HR wont really get involved until after selection since it was said that even that will be automated.

rjaeger13

Rookie
Apr 5, 2013
This was my thoughts as well... why would you hire someone with a 4 year literature degree over someone with a degree in aviation. why would Timmy the bag boy be hired over someone with on the job experience in aviation?? the BIO will weed out and give priority.

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
I've been reading AT-SAT and Bio-Questionnaire combined with Vet-Pref will be the dominant factors in selection. How will they make selections before that? Random lottery?

Last edited:

bernelong

Jul 16, 2011
New Windsor, MD
I've been reading AT-SAT and Bio-Questionnaire combined with Vet-Pref will be the dominate factors in selection. How will they make selections before that? Random lottery?
Unless they've changed something again, HR said verbatim that AT-SAT scores and Vets Pref. hold the most weight. I don't think the bio is going to be heavily weighted. It's simply being used to pre-screen the pool.

dreweepoo

Jan 20, 2012
I've been reading AT-SAT and Bio-Questionnaire combined with Vet-Pref will be the dominate factors in selection. How will they make selections before that? Random lottery?
Well you take the Bio-Q at time of application. So that score, along with obviously meeting the min requirements will move you on in the process. Then add in vet pref.It will be interesting to see how many people are selected to even test. How much will they over-compensate for the possible Cognitive bombers? Cognitive portion of the test is obviously more difficult. So they will have to weigh cost of over administering and backing up the pipeline again vs cutting out average applicants that could excel in the cognitive portion of the test. It will just be one of those cases where you either make it or you don't. You gotta prove yourself with numbers and you don't want to be the middle man. They want B+ or better