OKC Letting Me Down Easy?

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
I received a call today while studying for the AT-SAT. Stating that due to the process I may age out. They went on to say that I should still try and take the AT-SAT but its a very real possibility that I will age out. I knew this going in. But unfortunately it has me feeling like I did after PUBNAT 8 all over again.

Some interesting things they did mention, the Scores will be uploaded to the ATO during the last full week in may. (HR said the 23rd... Didn't someone on the AT-SAT thread say they had a May 30th test date? I'll be looking in to this more.) They will then generate a referral list and send it back. At that point they will try to help out us near 31ers by generating out tols and locking our age. I'm hoping that this will move quickly this time and I'll have my TOL no later than June 3rd, but thats wishful thinking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I hope this info helps others on here.

Reactions: GS3k

rooster

Trusted Contributor
Sep 6, 2009
Western Hemipshere
IMO, your best course of action would be to study hard and prepare yourself for the AT-SAT. You can't expect an HR person to bust their hump if you barely pass. That being said, you should prepare yourself for the probability that you are going to age out. You could request all of the pre-TOL paperwork now so you can fill it out in advance...good luck.

Reactions: Philo138

mgcb

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2011
Delaware
Hey at least you have the chance to take the test. Go for the gold but there are options outside the FAA. Best of luck

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
@ rooster

Thanks, yeah I've been studying since the application closed and the BQ results came back. I'm prepped for the let down mentally, just wish there was something I could do. My sf-86 is completed, is there anything else paperwork wise that I would need to complete? Was pretty excited to get a second chance, just hoping that it's not too late.

@mgcb thanks!

GS3k

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2013
Good luck Philo138, just kill it on the AT-SAT and hope that H.R. can pull through for you!

I'm rooting for ya.

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
@ GS3k thanks, I previously had a score in the high 90's so I'm hoping to do as good or better this time round.

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
So I had previously has a running dialog about this with my Senators office trying to get some approximate dates. What they came back with was that the FAA planned to test in april and start sending out TOL's in may. So I was flying high (no pun intended), until the call this morning. I have since contacted them to see if they can get another idea of when all this is going down. I'll keep you guys posted.

titanman2789

Jan 15, 2014
Maybe keep in contact with HR, especially after you take the AT-SAT. More than once per week, and every day as it gets closer to your birthday, call them up just to say hey and see where things are at. Keep your name and possibility of aging out fresh in their minds

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
@ titanman2789 check and check, also in the process of scheduling a tour with at my kinda-sorta local ARTCC to get my name out there that way too...

C

charliezuluatc

Take your test anyways. A selection list is expected by the end of May. Selections for the academy to be made during June and July, reporting to the academy to start in august. It can be expected that another bid May came out in May or June, possibly July. Making this a quarterly event, just like in the old days.

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
Cool thanks for the heads up, as a previous commenter said, my only piton is to kick-a on the test and hope for the best!

thedenti5t

Feb 11, 2014
I would say, that time line seems a little fast in my opinion. You have the 400+ VRA guy (some are still waiting on TOL's) that still don't have class date. If the rumors are true about the academy, and picking you facility based on class rank, I would assume that the VRA and OTS wouldn't be in the same class. Just something to think about, I could be completely wrong though.

titanman2789

Jan 15, 2014
@ titanman2789 check and check, also in the process of scheduling a tour with at my kinda-sorta local ARTCC to get my name out there that way too...
I'm pretty sure this is all an external process now. Go on the tour, it will be cool, but don't expect "networking" with people that work in in the center to help you in any sort of way

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
@ thedenti5t time will tell, here's to hoping

@titanman2789 I've heard the same thing as well, but figure it can't hurt. Just have to see if they're offering one anytime soon. Have a buddy at the facility checking it out for me.

toodarnedold

Newcomer
Mar 10, 2013
Heh, my birthday is right near yours - I'm in the same boat and while there was no point I was 'flying high' about my odds, the phone call today was a bit sobering. I agree with the advice above - I figure all we can really do is score well enough on the AT-SAT that IF they generate a referral list on May 23rd (well, before our birthdays, I suppose) that HR feels we're worth fast tracking. Good luck, brother!

Yinzer

Rookie
Feb 9, 2010
Moon Township, PA
Hmmm....I passed the bio assessment and turn 31 in July. Did not receive a phone call.

Not saying there's necessarily anything to read into that. Just putting that out there.

Thanks for the info, BTW. Hopefully, this process gets completed as quickly as possible.

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
@toodarnedold Yeah its a bit rough, but hopefully charliezuluatc is right and the selection list comes out end of may, which may happen as this is what my state senator's office told me after talking to the FAA on my behalf as well. And keep calling HR is the plan, its all you can do, after the test its out of our hands.

@Yinzer Thanks, and good luck to you all in the process.

loui86dz

Newcomer
Mar 8, 2014
Ontario, California
I would say, that time line seems a little fast in my opinion. You have the 400+ VRA guy (some are still waiting on TOL's) that still don't have class date. If the rumors are true about the academy, and picking you facility based on class rank, I would assume that the VRA and OTS wouldn't be in the same class. Just something to think about, I could be completely wrong though.
I understand that the hiring process is normally slow and people from last year are still waiting to move ahead in the process. But It seems like things have cooled down in Congress when it comes to the budget so it doesn't seem like things should be as slow as they were last year. The FAA might try to speed things up for the current applicants while pushing things along for the people who were held up last year because of budget problems.

BeerRonin

Rookie
Mar 21, 2014
So, out of the people who got selected to take the ATSAT....HR picks from that pool to refer people on to medicals, Security Clearance etc?