One thing you would do differently?

ECHODELTA85

May 5, 2011
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
What is the one thing you would do differently if you could go back in time and knowing what you know now? This goes for training or preparing for life as an air traffic controller.

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Nothing. I'm quite happy with my life and where i'm at. I believe if I changed anything, i'd be a different person and I love me.

vctrchick

Nov 10, 2010
Virginia
Immediately put 100% of the allowable amount into TSP...do it while you are young and you will never miss it. The result will be a great chunk to take with you out the door after 20 "good years" of ATC time!

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010
i wouldn't have spent a quarter million dollars on an education at Embry-Riddle.

other than that i agree with
haha that cracks me up dude. i bet it was a great experience though. i mean i went to CTI school in a town called Beaver Falls(yes, really), and i had the time of my life there!

ballakc

Dec 2, 2008
I would have tried to get in the FAA during my early to late 20's. I'm 31 now, and a contract controller. My only option for a REAL retirement now is getting picked up by the Dod before age 36.

bradjackman

Trusted Member
May 7, 2009
Boise
Yeah, apply for PUBNAT 1-7. That would have made life a lot easier. But then again there was that whole nasty contract negotiation issue...

Ice_cold656

Epic Member
Jun 12, 2010
Bout to be out this B
I don't regret anything. Truth be told, I wouldn't change my life for the world. It has lead me here....and i don't even know where that is...or where it's going. I know what I want to happen. But beyond that, and where it will go, I have no idea. It's all about the journey in the end.

SCOPED

Senior Analyst
Nov 21, 2010
Gods Country, Alaska
I don't regret anything. Truth be told, I wouldn't change my life for the world. It has lead me here....and i don't even know where that is...or where it's going. I know what I want to happen. But beyond that, and where it will go, I have no idea. It's all about the journey in the end.
Reminded me of this Quote from coach Durham.
I've come to conclusions that, if having things turn out, the way you wanted them to, is the measure of a successful life. The important thing is, not to be bitter over life's disappointments. Learn to let go of the past, and recognize that everyday won't be sunny. And when you find yourself lost in the darkness of despair, remember it’s only the black of the nights and seek the stars. And those stars will lead you back home. So don't be afraid to make mistakes, to stumble or fall, cause most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. Maybe you won't get everything that you wished for. Maybe you'll get more that you ever could of imagine. Who knows where life can take you, the road is long, but in the end, the journey is the destination.

Last edited:

DJatc

Nov 12, 2010
San Angelo, TX
research about ATC a bit more beyond "dude you have to use those light saber things to taxi aircraft" in high school :)

would've saved about 7 years of bumming around if i went straight to a CTI school outta high school.

kiko

Newcomer
May 16, 2011
Man!! At the price you could have gone to Harvard or the other top universities in the nation/world.
With how the job market is right now it wouldn't matter much. I have a friend that went to Harvard with a full ride, graduated magna cum laude, and she can't get even a decent paying job due to lack of job experience. Lucky for her she got offered another full scholarship at Harvard for grad school.

Plus the Ivy Leagues also have a lot of grade inflation and what not. Their standing as an institution is mainly due to reputation, not quality of the classes. Same thing with Embry-Riddle; a lot of folks in aviation see it as the standard for aviation education around the world, but that doesn't mean the education amazing. But most of the people who don't see it in that light are disgruntled alumni like myself =)

crazycam31

Rookie
Jan 6, 2009
Although I sometimes regret turning down my offer under PUBNAT 1 to go back to school, I now have my bachelor's degree and am 2 months away from getting my master's. I have almost no debt and just got my TOL from the March panels. I will always value my education and it will be a great back up plan.

IMO the best advice in here so far is to max out your matching retirement savings. I also regret spilling all over my E-QIP signature forms since you can only print them once..... :banghead:

ECHODELTA85

May 5, 2011
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
I would go to CTI right after I graduated from college. I have been out of school for three years with nothing great going for me. I can say that most of the people I know from college are now teachers because those were the only jobs they could get. It kept them from going back home to mom and dad. I am CTI right now and I hope to get into the academy but life is never certain. I will go back and get a master’s if I have to wait a long time before I hear anything. I think in this economy though it's better to have a skill rather than more education. I need to think about other skills I can acquire.