ORL/SMO/ONT/POC

Point65

Newcomer
Jun 15, 2017
Could anyone please give me a brief overview and/or opinion of any/all of these facilities? (I've read prior threads on each facility). I may have to be selecting one of these real soon. Thank you.

ClearanceClarence

Trusted Contributor
May 24, 2014
If you're not in love with any of those locations/areas of the country... Find a place where you can certify and dip... AKA check out the ncept staffing list. See how their staffing is projected. Make sure you can afford to live on AG pay in those California locations... Nothing beats trying to certify at what I assume would be your first facility making below the poverty level for that area. (I apologize if this is "duh" information... I have no insider info on any of those facilities... At best you'd probably get something to the extent of "staffing sucks/rocks, traffic is good/bad, and natca/mgt relations are great/terrible... For real info, suggest you contact the facrep for each place).

All those are tower only I believe, otherwise I'd say go get an easy radar ticket somewhere.

If I had to choose, I'd go ORL, personally.

Edit: saw your posts... Appears you're NEST... Therefore rendering all my solid advice ^^^ as downright insulting and useless... However ORL still remains my choice haha I mean... Mickey mouse, cape Canaveral, and dreadful humidity...

Last edited:

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
To put it kindly, if I lived in a universe where I had to make this decision one million times and live out the remainder of my life one million times, I'd pick ORL every.damn.time.
I'd take the time to list facility and area specific reasons, but the facilities are so egregiously far apart in desirability it'd be a waste of time. It'd be like trying to convince you that filet mignon is better then a bologna sandwich.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
To put it kindly, if I lived in a universe where I had to make this decision one million times and live out the remainder of my life one million times, I'd pick ORL every.damn.time.
I'd take the time to list facility and area specific reasons, but the facilities are so egregiously far apart in desirability it'd be a waste of time. It'd be like trying to convince you that filet mignon is better then a bologna sandwich.
That's one opinion. If you want to be in SoCal instead of Florida I'm sure the opposite would be true.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
That's one opinion. If you want to be in SoCal instead of Florida I'm sure the opposite would be true.
Realistically, I've tried to make the numbers work on LAX. I can't. The quality of life and purchasing power would be comparable to level 5 and 6 towers elsewhere. I can't fathom making Level 5 pay in the greater LA area and what your day to day life would look like.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
In all seriousness, ORL has cheap real estate with good schools, is a great place to raise a family, amusement parks, 30 minutes to port Canaveral for cruises, beaches (although SMO is clearly better in that regard). If you have any desire to further your career, your odds of getting people in and out of ORL is far greater then the others.
ORL is open from 7am-10pm. Last I checked the controllers there work 4 tens (although this certainly could have changed).
I'd contact the FacReps for detailed facility specific information and you can PM me if you need help getting that.