Overtime As a Developmental at Your Facility

fabby82

Apr 22, 2010
California
Sorry if this has been answered before, I looked around and couldn't exactly find the answer. My question is, as a developmental at your facility, particularly enroute, is overtime available while you are training or is OT only available once you are CPC?

FM_Weasel

Senior Analyst
Dec 9, 2008
Can't speak to en route, but on the terminal side OT is sometimes available to developmentals.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I've had OT on a regular basis as a trainee. I've got multiple radars though, so it's pretty easy to justify scheduling me OT when I can work all but one position. Don't expect to get scheduled OT if you've got a couple D-sides though. I've probably had around 8 scheduled OT shifts, plus another 5-6 call in OT shifts that I passed on in the last 5 months.

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
Depends on staffing in your area and needs. Our area still uses A sides, and we are very understaffed, so you get overtime basically once you are certified on the A's (maybe 2-3 weeks after you hit the floor). Once you are certified on anything other then that you are guaranteed to be on overtime, at least 1-2 times a month. Most areas don't use A sides anymore, so then you likely won't get overtime until you are checked out on a radar or two. All depends on where you go and the staffing there.

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
I got overtime 2 weeks ago to take a drug test... Does that count? :)
But seriously.. Probably shouldn't expect it until maybe a few Radars... Possibly CPC...

Last edited:

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Can someone give an example of overtime in an air traffic facility?
You get a call. Overtime! You dont want it. So you say..."Awww, thats too bad! I really, really wanted to come in but I JUST cracked open and took a sip of my first beer!"

You get a call. Overtime! This time you DO want it. "Sure, what time do you need me?"

OT happens when your facility doesnt have adequite staffing for that shift. One or two may have called in sick, management screwed up scheduling for that shift, or your facility is just plain understaffed.

FM_Weasel

Senior Analyst
Dec 9, 2008
It can also get scheduled ahead of time and you'll know well in advance that you have a 6 day work week coming up.

Facilities I've worked at have had a "Yes" and "No" list for OT as well. The yes guys get called first. The no list still gets called if nobody will take the shift. At some point if you're available and they know it (and you haven't been drinking) you may be forced into coming in.

The only way to get out of scheduled OT is to trade the shift to someone else, or if management decides they don't need you anymore that day. The Yes List people would normally be scheduled for OT before they pull anyone from the No List.

SierraZulu

Trusted Member
Aug 2, 2008
You get a call. Overtime! You dont want it. So you say..."Awww, thats too bad! I really, really wanted to come in but I JUST cracked open and took a sip of my first beer!"

You get a call. Overtime! This time you DO want it. "Sure, what time do you need me?"

OT happens when your facility doesnt have adequite staffing for that shift. One or two may have called in sick, management screwed up scheduling for that shift, or your facility is just plain understaffed.
What if they call you and you're cracking open your 10th beer? In the railroad industry for dispatchers that get called in for OT they need to be ready to come in to work when there is a possibility of being needed for OT so they can't even drink at all if they are "on call."

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
It all depends on how it's outlined in your facilities Overtime MOU (memorandum of understanding). This is basically an agreement between the local union and management on how OT is determined, prioritized, used and who's eligible. Unless there is an unforeseen circumstance you will most likely never get OT unless you are certified on atleast 1 position.

That being said, pretty much every facility has developments working OT every once in a while. They are usually at the bottom of the list though

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
It hasn't happened in my area because we are fairly well staffed, but another area I've seen d-side onlys being called for OT. They have lost a lot of people this year due to transfers, loss of med, pregnancy, etc. OT is rampant in that area but rare for mine. Every facility is different though.