Pay at the FAA Academy

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Re: New Academy Pay Under Open Announcement

Ho do FG-1 and D-1 pay levels differ?
A lot. D-1 pay is only at your facility after you get 25% (?) of the positions. Prior, VRA got AG pay at the Academy (37k) and then D1 when you got to your facility. Now, it appears everyone will start at FG-01 (not sure the amount but I think it might be 17k or something like that) at the Academy and then go to AG pay (37k) when you get to your facility and then follow the normal pay bands regardless of what you did before the FAA. (DoD, REINCPC aside)

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009

all vra are vets, not all vets are vra. Vra means you were an air traffic controller in the military. A vet means you served in the military. Huge difference when it comes to the faa. Not all vets got the $37k at the academy. All vra's got $37k at the academy.

note: i typed that in all caps to really make it sink in but it was auto-edited to lower case.
I'm aware of that, I assumed that Elliott was talking about VRA though.

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room

FG1 is the 17k a year or whatever. Looks like VRAs don't get paid more at the Academy any more.

Didn't see a second page. Oops. Stupid phone.

Last edited:

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010

A lot. D-1 pay is only at your facility after you get 25% (?) of the positions. Prior, VRA got AG pay at the Academy (37k) and then D1 when you got to your facility. Now, it appears everyone will start at FG-01 (not sure the amount but I think it might be 17k or something like that) at the Academy and then go to AG pay (37k) when you get to your facility and then follow the normal pay bands regardless of what you did before the FAA. (DoD, REINCPC aside)

While it does sound like it will be FG-1 pay at the academy for everyone. The NATCA/FAA CBA provides for D1 pay for military controllers with at least 52 weeks experience. So when you get to your facility and are a member of the bargaining unit, you'll get D1 pay.

Article 108 Section 4

C. For a Military or DOD Civilian controller with fifty-two

(52) consecutive weeks experience as a certified air traffic
controller that completes training at the Academy (if required)
and reports to their assigned facility, pay will be set at the
minimum of the lowest developmental level pay band for the

assigned ATC facility

AF_ATC

Trusted Member
Nov 20, 2009

While it does sound like it will be FG-1 pay at the academy for everyone. The NATCA/FAA CBA provides for D1 pay for military controllers with at least 52 weeks experience. So when you get to your facility and are a member of the bargaining unit, you'll get D1 pay.

Article 108 Section 4

assigned ATC facility
Good post. HR did say NATCA rules apply once you reach your facility, so this is factual information for VRA's out there.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island

Article 108 Section 4

assigned ATC facility
Good find sir!

BreezyBeachLife

Trusted Contributor
Jan 23, 2013
ZKC

Sooooo....I applied sept 2012 and only recently received my TOL in December 2013 because of sequestration but my TOL states that I'll be getting 37k at the academy and D1 Pay when I get to my facility...I'm assuming (hoping) that this new pay system only effects new TOL's correct from this feb 10th announcement? I'm VRA with mil ATC exp btw...

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island

Sooooo....I applied sept 2012 and only recently received my TOL in December 2013 because of sequestration but my TOL states that I'll be getting 37k at the academy and D1 Pay when I get to my facility...I'm assuming (hoping) that this new pay system only effects new TOL's correct from this feb 10th announcement? I'm VRA with mil ATC exp btw...
Correct. All these changes only apply to those picked up the Feb 10 bid or after.

AF_ATC

Trusted Member
Nov 20, 2009

Does anyone have the pay scale or a link to it so I can actually see what FG-1 pays?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island

i've been googling it but no luck. all the faa payscale charts i've found start at ag which is the 37k, which leads me to believe the fg is the 17k.

AF_ATC

Trusted Member
Nov 20, 2009

I guess we will find out for sure on the 10th when the announcement comes out.

GUYONABUFFALO

Epic Member
Oct 4, 2012
Minnesota

I am at the academy. With locality I'm at like 21500/ year plus per diem, per diem is 92 a day.

AF_ATC

Trusted Member
Nov 20, 2009

I am at the academy. With locality I'm at like 21500/ year plus per diem, per diem is 92 a day.
Is the $92 per day on top of lodging? I looked up OKC per diem on the OPM website and it is $87/day for lodging and $66/day for meals so that doesn't add up.

Kurtomac

Oct 19, 2010
Tennessee

The pay bands stay the same as they are at 2012 levels. The 1% raise to gov't employees went into effect on pay period 3 of this year. If you werent at the academy prior to the start if that pay period, your not getting a 1% raise.
Incorrect. I received a FOL and then about 10 days ago an amended FOL stating the president signed an increase and the new FOL reflects that pay raise. Both of which were obviously before I started

Kurtomac

Oct 19, 2010
Tennessee

My FOL shows my devopmental rate increased 1% as well. D2 for me as there is no D1 at my facility

PantherMan

Mar 4, 2011

I had a question regarding OKC pay. How much do the housing centers usually charge per week? Or I guess a better question would be, how much money are you left with after paying housing and food and any other OKC expenses that I may be missing? Thanks for the help.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008

yeah, the AG was raised 1%, but all developmental pay stays the same at 2012 levls. So, once you get D1, you will be AT THE BOTTOM of D1 pay from 2012 pay scale.
You have no idea what you are talking about

The Memorandum of Understanding extending the Red Book provides for employee's Basic Pay (not including locality) to be increased "equivalent to that provided to other Federal employees in the annual adjustment to pay under the statutory General Schedule (GS) increase, effective the first full pay period in January." This means that all BUEs covered by the Red Book will have their pay increased by 1% regardless of position in band.