Per Diem

atc4life

Newcomer
Jul 3, 2009
Oklahoma City
I live in Oklahoma City and i just received an offer letter to start a career in ATC. i have heard from other students on here that the base pay rate for an academy student is like 10 dollars and hour. i have also heard that i will not receive the per diem because i live in Oklahoma City. why is it that just because i live in Oklahoma City i will not receive it. i have to pay rent just like anyone else, i have a family to take care of, i have responsibilities that frankly ten dollars an hour just wont cover. if you have any ideas about this please share it with me.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
per diem is pay that covers expenses when you are away from home. if you live within so many miles of OKC then you will not receive per diem. unfortunate, yes...but thats how per diem works, for anyone that gets paid per diem in any career field.

i guess they figure if you live there, then you are not having to pay for two places. Where as when i go, i will essentially be paying for two apartments

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Local students do get reimbursed for miles traveled, so you can still do that. At least you'll get something. .55 cents per mile.

I just looked through my packet for new hires where it talks about residents, it says if you are staying with family or friends that you're still able to get the 'incidental' portion of the per diem. Which is $41.60/day. Since you're a resident I'm not sure if that applies to you or not, or just to people who move in with friends or family who are originally from out of state. The ladies giving us our briefing on it didn't talk much about it, because there were no OKC residents in our class.

The very definition of per diem is pretty much pay for going to work away from home...since you won't be away from home you don't qualify for it. This isn't just FAA policy, if you live within 50 miles of where you'll be working no employer considers you eligible for per diem.

JumperBones

Reft crosed trafficah
Dec 22, 2008
Too sixah reft
You don't receive per diem because you're not from out of town, staying in a hotel, eating out all the time (which is expensive), and the per diem is also the reimbursement for the hotel that out-of-towners have to stay in. I'm still paying rent for a place back home, my wife's gotta live somewhere.

Being paid 8.40 sucks, I know, but you're staying in your house with your family and your life isn't changing. I haven't seen my friends and family and home in 3 months, and I've seen my wife once over that period. They gotta make the cut-off somewhere.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
I use to work for Comair. Which city is she working out of? Or is she an FA?
she was based @ CVG (we had an apartment in Florence, but are now in Houston), on furlough since Nov. 5 last year...I got hired there but 6 days before my class started they cancelled everything.

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
she was based @ CVG (we had an apartment in Florence, but are now in Houston), on furlough since Nov. 5 last year...I got hired there but 6 days before my class started they cancelled everything.
That's crazy. I use to work ramp at CVG before I moved back here to St. Louis. And back at the June PEPC I got a TOL for CVG which made me happy as could be. And I use to live in Florence! Off of Weaver road. I grew up in Northern Kentucky and love it there. lol

JumperBones

Reft crosed trafficah
Dec 22, 2008
Too sixah reft
No sir on the web cams. My computer is 6 years old! Laptops didn't come with those then.

One more thing to replace when I'm up and running later, but not today.

rewgupko

Sep 11, 2008
America
I live in Oklahoma City and i just received an offer letter to start a career in ATC. i have heard from other students on here that the base pay rate for an academy student is like 10 dollars and hour. i have also heard that i will not receive the per diem because i live in Oklahoma City. why is it that just because i live in Oklahoma City i will not receive it. i have to pay rent just like anyone else, i have a family to take care of, i have responsibilities that frankly ten dollars an hour just wont cover. if you have any ideas about this please share it with me.
Sorry Dude, I have to pay a mortgage and a rent, I have a family to take care of, i also have responsibilities that ten dollars and hour just won't cover either. Them's the breaks. I have to manage two households with utilities and food, that's why I get per diem, you have to manage one household - that's why you don't.

Dale

Jun 19, 2008
Uniondale, Indiana
No sir on the web cams. My computer is 6 years old! Laptops didn't come with those then.

One more thing to replace when I'm up and running later, but not today.
Webcams are easy and cheap these days. I got a USB one from Big Lots for $13, and Woot has had them for even less. Works great, even with Vista.

I use it with Skype (free internet video phone Skype to Skype) to talk to my daughter and her family in Malawi, Africa. Skype works well with low bandwidth ISP's.

DanielEtvs

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
hank krakowskis
I got $78.20 per day and I think its more now. This sites advertising not withstanding..... you would be financially best off to find something on Craiglist for $600 and/or get a roommate. The "FAA Authorized" places are keenly aware EXACTLY how much per diem students are receiving so an apartment suite that is ostensibly in an urban wasteland ends up costing 1300+ per month via the daily rates.

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
I got $78.20 per day and I think its more now. This sites advertising not withstanding..... you would be financially best off to find something on Craiglist for $600 and/or get a roommate. The "FAA Authorized" places are keenly aware EXACTLY how much per diem students are receiving so an apartment suite that is ostensibly in an urban wasteland ends up costing 1300+ per month via the daily rates.
Kims Place and IB will take all of your housing per diem. There are a few that don't though. ATC - FAA Academy Housing - Air Traffic Control - ATC - Aviation

DanielEtvs

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
hank krakowskis
Kims Place and IB will take all of your housing per diem. There are a few that don't though. ATC - FAA Academy Housing - Air Traffic Control - ATC - Aviation
all the FAA approved places are nice and comfortable from what i saw. i stayed at Walnut Gardens. but the money the owner/operators are making is mind numbing. no one else in OKC is getting anywhere close to that for rent, unless maybe youre living in a condo in right downtown bricktown. then again the people who rented houses off craigslist and whatnot had to go through a lot more drama with the FAA to get their full $$. thats probably been worked out by now, or maybe not who knows. the neighborhoods these places are in... well lets just say, youre not in kansas anymore. of course theyre all surrounded by giant iron fences with complex 4 digit codes at the gate to get in.... such as but not limited to... 9876 or 1357. oops. security!!! security!!!!

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
all the FAA approved places are nice and comfortable from what i saw. i stayed at Walnut Gardens. but the money the owner/operators are making is mind numbing. no one else in OKC is getting anywhere close to that for rent, unless maybe youre living in a condo in right downtown bricktown. then again the people who rented houses off craigslist and whatnot had to go through a lot more drama with the FAA to get their full $$. thats probably been worked out by now, or maybe not who knows. the neighborhoods these places are in... well lets just say, youre not in kansas anymore. of course theyre all surrounded by giant iron fences with complex 4 digit codes at the gate to get in.... such as but not limited to... 9876 or 1357. oops. security!!! security!!!!
I'm probably going to wind up staying at Kim's Place. I'll admit that I think it's kind of over priced. 3 people in 1 house each paying $1500 a month. But...it's not my money. The FAA is paying. I have not heard one bad thing about the place and she supplies food.

CLEATCT2010

Oct 9, 2009
Ohio
atcontrol101.blogspot.com
I'm at Kim's right now and it's pretty nice. You get food and a clean room at least. Certainly helps spread out money with regard to eating out. Yeah she takes all of your per diem but it's not like you're getting the difference between $52 and $39 per day if you participate in the government credit card program. The place could charge $5/day, if you use the government credit card you only get the meal per diem. So if that is your plan, don't complain about what the housing provider is charging... hey at least you're getting free housing! And it's one less thing to worry about too.