Phone Call from the FAA

Me123

Rookie
Feb 28, 2014
KY
You all are unintentionally ragging on people who do meet the qualifications and have followed instruction with a very detail-oriented eye. Everyone that I know that has passed are superb, bright individuals. Not everyone that passed the biographical is at McDonald's flipping burgers, and even if they are, so what? It was an OTS hire. Everyone should have known that that automatically is a sign that they're going to put you on the same playing field as someone with no experience.

The process that they chose this time, obviously, didn't work. No need to be demeaning towards those who slipped through the cracks or those who are clearly qualified and could perform very well on the job. Talk to your congressmen and women, or higher officials. They're going to be the ones who can change the process, not those who you are patronizing.

ROMEOMONEY

Rookie
Dec 12, 2013
Not trying to be the bad guy, but I do not see the big deal if they want to contact someone in case they need extra information. Shows that maybe they do have a method to the madness...

deano

Mar 21, 2012
Not trying to be the bad guy, but I do not see the big deal if they want to contact someone in case they need extra information. Shows that maybe they do have a method to the madness...
The big deal is it explicitly stated in the application if it was actually READ to include copies of transcripts to confirm eligibility if using a combination of school and work experience, or just school to qualify, but people failed to include this documentation and are given chances to repair their mistakes...Where the 10 year controller (not myself, not a controller at all here) who followed directions, submitted an excellent resume, obviously has the aptitude to do the job, was deemed DQ with no further explanation.

nabbyfan

Newcomer
Dec 12, 2012
USA
The big deal is it explicitly stated in the application if it was actually READ to include copies of transcripts to confirm eligibility if using a combination of school and work experience, or just school to qualify, but people failed to include this documentation and are given chances to repair their mistakes...Where the 10 year controller (not myself, not a controller at all here) who followed directions, submitted an excellent resume, obviously has the aptitude to do the job, was deemed DQ with no further explanation.
Thats not true. He was deemed not eligible because he did not pass the BQ. Its that simple, your resume had nothing to do with it.

deano

Mar 21, 2012
Thats not true. He was deemed not eligible because he did not pass the BQ. Its that simple, your resume had nothing to do with it.
Let me simplify that for you..

Did it tell anyone they "failed" anything? I dont think so..It said that BASED on a combination of the BQ, Experience, whatever else, you were deemed INELIGIBLE.

Ok, why was I deemed INELIGIBLE? Show me the quote from the FAA stating that this converts to me "failing" a BQ. I have yet to see official comment on this.

If 90 percent of us received notification stating "You are eligible, however not selected due to an abundance of other BETTER qualified applicants" I would have said "well, thats how it goes in the real world" and moved on.

THATS NOT WHAT HAPPENED, and this is why so many CTI, VETS, Prior controllers are voicing their opinions..

deano

Mar 21, 2012
I can't believe I need to do this again, but here it is

"Based upon your responses to the Biographical Assessment, we have determined that you are NOT eligible for this position as a part of the current vacancy announcement.

The biographical assessment measures ATCS job applicant characteristics that have been shown empirically to predict success as an air traffic controller in the FAA. These characteristics include factors such as prior general and ATC-specific work experience, education and training, work habits, academic and other achievements, and life experiences among other factors."

According to my application status, the BQ (or BA, whatever it is) predicted my success as an air traffic controller based on all sorts of things, not just my answers to the 60 questions at the end.
Thank you, Sincerely

deano

Mar 21, 2012
Read the very first sentence. "BASED ON YOUR RESPONSES TO THE BIOGRAPHICAL ASSESSMENT..."

Thats the explanation. Your responses to the BQ were not what they were looking for. I'm not saying its right or whatever, but thats what happened.
Read the second paragraph,

"The biographical assessment measures ATCS job applicant characteristics that have been shown empirically to predict success as an air traffic controller in the FAA. These characteristics include factors such as prior general and ATC-specific work experience, education and training, work habits, academic and other achievements, and life experiences among other factors."

​THE BIOGRAPHICAL ASSESSMENT INCLUDES ALL OF THE COMPONENTS AFOREMENTIONED

The PROBLEM is that no body knows WHICH of these components was the DQ factor! Its a simple concept.

deano

Mar 21, 2012
There are obvious reasons why they can't tell you that you didn't pass the BQ because of a specific question or answer.
No, but the guy who was on the fence about whether or not they had enough work exp, and the guy that is well qualified, but didn't have the "golden FAA personality" deserve to know which component DQd them.

deano

Mar 21, 2012
Or is the problem that random people are supposedly moving on to the next phase and that the BQ didn't actually measure characteristics "such as prior general and ATC-specific work experience, education and training, work habits, academic and other achievements, and life experiences"
Lets be serious....there are a lot of issues...But at least if they said my Life Experiences DQd me, I could laugh that my personality isn't good enough... :\

SierraBravo

Nov 22, 2011
"TO QUALIFY BASED UPON EDUCATION: applicants must document a full 4-year course of study leading to a Bachelor's degree. Schools must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. If qualifying based on education, applicants must submit a copy of the transcript which includes the name of the institution, quarter or semester hours earned and/or confer date."

SierraBravo

Nov 22, 2011
All 2,200 of these "eligible" people can score a 70 on the AT-SAT and they will all be hired. The BQ eliminated all competition. Good job, FAA.

RobertB

Senior Analyst
Aug 18, 2008
I'm just amazed at the people, with incomplete applications, that are being told to submit required forms which were clearly stated on the bid...

deano

Mar 21, 2012
=RobertB;280825]I'm just amazed at the people, with incomplete applications, that are being told to submit required forms which were clearly stated on the bid...
It makes all the time that I spent reviewing, reading, editing, and ensuring that all requirements were met (including hours worked at my job, day start/stop of employment etc) pointless...I could have submitted an app with a resume that said "I want to be ATC cus it seems fun" and picked some random halfass personality answers and maybe Id be considered and not DQd like I am...

Welp, attention to detail is only a guideline I suppose..not a requirement.

RobertB

Senior Analyst
Aug 18, 2008
When I applied(pre BQ), you were deemed to have not meet the announcement qualifications if you had an incomplete application. I'm just amazed that HR is allowing people to attach things to their resumes now...

deano

Mar 21, 2012
When I applied(pre BQ), you were deemed to have not meet the announcement qualifications if you had an incomplete application. I'm just amazed that HR is allowing people to attach things to their resumes now...
I wish that was the case...Maybe they would end up with another 20 percent DQd...Hahaha....Im glad I'm only 22...I definitely feel for the people who aged out though due to this ridiculous excuse for federal hiring.

My father does hiring for another dept under the FAA as a manager, and when he heard about HR using a BQ to disqualify applicants he laughed...

kemikal12

Feb 27, 2014
It makes all the time that I spent reviewing, reading, editing, and ensuring that all requirements were met (including hours worked at my job, day start/stop of employment etc) pointless...I could have submitted an app with a resume that said "I want to be ATC cus it seems fun" and picked some random halfass personality answers and maybe Id be considered and not DQd like I am...

Welp, attention to detail is only a guideline I suppose..not a requirement.
This is a serious Low blow on top of the catastrophe that is this hiring process.lol I feel for everyone who didn't make it through and definitely those who actually had everything ready the FIRST time.