Pilot License Through Uni or No?

Delta_KVTA

Newcomer
Feb 18, 2016
I'm currently a junior studying ATC at a CTI University. I plan on getting my PPL one day, but I can get it through my university during my senior year. It'll cost anywhere from 8-10K. It's appetizing to me because I could put that towards my student loans instead of paying out-of-pocket by going through a traditional flight school. I talked to another ATC friend of mine who has a PPL about it. He got his license through the University but would recommend going to a flight school because it would be a little cheaper and I wouldn't have to 'deal with so much BS' as I would have to with the University. Along with that, he said he didn't regret getting his PPL through the University. So my question is this, should I get my PPL through the University, or should I look for a regular flight school?

I also have the opportunity to get a minor in aviation management (it would be my second minor along with aircraft dispatch) but I could only do one (2nd minor or PPL) and still graduate on time, and I'd prefer to avoid super-senior status. Which would you recommend I go for?

Thanks for the help!

penguins91

Newcomer
Mar 6, 2013
Sounds like Riddle to me. Fly off campus and save yourself a lot of headaches. Part 61 will be your best bet and cheapest route.

Delta_KVTA

Newcomer
Feb 18, 2016
I'm actually at KSU. I'm an Ohio native so the in-state tuition did it for me, but thanks for the advice!

Delta_KVTA

Newcomer
Feb 18, 2016
Because it would be easier to pay off vs out of pocket at a flight school. I'll be paying off my student debt anyways and I'd rather pay off my debt at the same rate over a longer period of time than try to pay off my student debt and flight fees simultaneously. Not to mention there's a 6 month grace period to pay back student loans, but if I did it through a flight school I'd likely have to pay right away.

penguins91

Newcomer
Mar 6, 2013
If he is getting into ATC with a pilot's license I wouldn't consider it a hobby. Many controllers can actually write off later flight training (instrument rating, CFI, etc...) on their taxes. So I say go ahead and get your private and focus on ATC for now then maybe later if you become CPC go for even more. Having both sides of the story does nothing but help especially in emergencies. What's an extra 20K in debt if you make 100K plus a year???

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
You can write off PPL and Instrument as non-required education that enhances your ability to do your job. Commercial and above are looked at as their own means to earn income and have been turned down by tax courts.

I wonder about writing off flights to airports you control, or like a high performance rating and stuff.