Pilots Who Use "k" then Airport Id

atcbrownie

Trusted Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
Why do pilot feel the need to say "requesting flight following to kilo oscar Sierra hotel"? This may just be a pet peeve of mine but it is really annoying and hard to figure out what airport you are talking about. Do any other controllers find this annoying? You can pretty much guarantee that if you start with a " K" that I will be asking you the airport ID again. Now if you are headed out of the U.S. then I understand.

SPOONY90

Trusted Contributor
Jun 11, 2014
I agree its annoying. Thows me off sometimes. But whatever, nature of the beast

FoxtrotMike

Newcomer
Nov 1, 2013
I usually don't do it when I fly, but let me know what facility you work at and I'll do it just for you.

DaOsprey

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2014
:p:p:p:p every last one of them. Had an Ally Giant pilot snicker at one GA, made the comment "I remember when I learned to fly." Of course being an Ally Giant pilot he can't fly for shit anyway.

SPOONY90

Trusted Contributor
Jun 11, 2014
Another thing... My tower has no FDIO. Plane calls up for IFR clearance. I tell em on request. I get on the line with approach and then the planes calls to taxi and I miss half the clearance. I know its not their fault but still

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Another thing... My tower has no FDIO. Plane calls up for IFR clearance. I tell em on request. I get on the line with approach and then the planes calls to taxi and I miss half the clearance. I know its not their fault but still
Its like we're at the same airport lol.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I hate when I'm in the middle of a busy arrival push and some damn GA calls for flight following and rather than just say something to get my attention real quick he rambles on and on trying to tell me everything at once. It's like thanks dude while you were talking 2 guys blew threw final and are about to be in La Guardias arrival traffic. If you're a pilot, listen before keying up! If approach seems busy, for gods sake keep it brief to get my attention and ill get to you when I get to you!

bob44zw

Apr 5, 2011
I am teaching minimalist callups and readbacks. My airline, and apparently lots of instructors, teach verbatim readbacks - often a huge waste of air time.

When ATC asks my destination, I say "Montgomery - Mike Yankee Fox". I know that is redundant, but it is crystal clear.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I am teaching minimalist callups and readbacks. My airline, and apparently lots of instructors, teach verbatim readbacks - often a huge waste of air time.

When ATC asks my destination, I say "Montgomery - Mike Yankee Fox". I know that is redundant, but it is crystal clear.
Thumbs up.

siah1214

Rookie
Jan 5, 2011
I do this when I'm flying to an unfamiliar airport VFR, usually because that's what shows up on my screen on my Garmin. I thought it'd be preferable to using the name of the airport but I guess it's not. I'll remember that in the future. Though there have been times that I've said the airport name and then been asked for an identifier (usually because the airport is somewhere far outside the controller's airspace)

I will say that I try to keep it as short as possible when I'm calling up. Start the callup with <facility name>, King air Nxxx, and then when they acknowledge me give a brief description of what I'm planning on doing (which is usually weird because I do aerial survey)

However, I fly with someone that goes on and on and on about what we're doing (well we're going to survey here for 5 hours, this is the area, this is the airspace we might be in, and this is what kind of survey we're doing, and we're going to be returning to this airport, blah blah blah)
I've tried to get him to stop while leading by example, he doesn't get it. Sorry :( I want to strangle him as well.

EDIT: just realized that the title might be referring to saying Kxxx instead of XXX for the identifier. The reason for that is I'm not looking to go to a VOR. :)

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
I guess it bothers me more bc it's pretty much always the Chinese student pilots who do it and their transmissions are already drawn out due to them still learning English.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Ah well once you're dealing with foreign pilots it's a whole different ballgame. Worst I've had was Singapore Air Force. 6 flights returning to base with weather everywhere. Give 1 flight a turn, he doesn't take it but 3 other flights do. I was damn near simply pleading on the radio to get them to listen

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
Ah well once you're dealing with foreign pilots it's a whole different ballgame. Worst I've had was Singapore Air Force. 6 flights returning to base with weather everywhere. Give 1 flight a turn, he doesn't take it but 3 other flights do. I was damn near simply pleading on the radio to get them to listen
That's taught in the Singapore Air Force as a "coordinated turn" ;)

siah1214

Rookie
Jan 5, 2011
That's another pet peeve of mine. One or the other please! :)
We have short tail numbers (three characters) at my company, so if I say King Air XXX, I get "King Air xxx, please state full callsign", to which I say "NXXX" and the controller feels silly. Saying "King Air Nxxx" saves everyone time.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
We have short tail numbers (three characters) at my company, so if I say King Air XXX, I get "King Air xxx, please state full callsign", to which I say "NXXX" and the controller feels silly. Saying "King Air Nxxx" saves everyone time.
I assume that whatever an aircraft checks on as, is using their full callsign. If N123TD says the full callsign and wants VFR flight following only in my airspace, I only type in the last three characters to tag the plane up as N3TD. Just makes it easier to differentiate the IFRs from the VFRs that I'm talking to. If he wants an IFR clearance, then I'd use the full callsign.

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
I discovered a new pet peeve of mine this morning. Cirrus called southeast of the field "Yeah, we're at the PITKN Intersection off the V389 airway inbound full stop 30R." I finally told him I have no idea where you are "Cirrus 123, that's about 20 miles Southest of the airport". Why the hell didn't you just tell me 20 SE. Why play 20 questions just to get your position?

KSDL

Rookie
Mar 23, 2015
I discovered a new pet peeve of mine this morning. Cirrus called southeast of the field "Yeah, we're at the PITKN Intersection off the V389 airway inbound full stop 30R." I finally told him I have no idea where you are "Cirrus 123, that's about 20 miles Southest of the airport". Why the hell didn't you just tell me 20 SE. Why play 20 questions just to get your position?
AS a VFR tower controller I get that all the time as well. Also, It pisses me off when pilots call 20 plus miles out and I'm all like call me 8 miles out because I have no idea how I am going to fit you in until you get closer..