Pilots Who Use "k" then Airport Id

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
We get a lot of good ole boys flying around and will call up over some random ass bridge or spot that only locals know and it turns into 20 questions. I know your pain haha.

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
AS a VFR tower controller I get that all the time as well. Also, It pisses me off when pilots call 20 plus miles out and I'm all like call me 8 miles out because I have no idea how I am going to fit you in until you get closer..
That doesn't bother me too much, but if I'm busy, I'll give them a pattern entry instruction then tell them to report 10 miles out.

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
AS a VFR tower controller I get that all the time as well. Also, It pisses me off when pilots call 20 plus miles out and I'm all like call me 8 miles out because I have no idea how I am going to fit you in until you get closer..
Lets be honest, sometimes we don't know how we're going to fit them in when it's 1 mile out... ;)

siah1214

Rookie
Jan 5, 2011
I've been granted a landing clearance 30 miles out before, they might just be hopeful :p

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
I am teaching minimalist callups and readbacks. My airline, and apparently lots of instructors, teach verbatim readbacks - often a huge waste of air time.

When ATC asks my destination, I say "Montgomery - Mike Yankee Fox". I know that is redundant, but it is crystal clear.
There's a huge difference between concise and minimal. Minimal is the type that requires ATC to say "Readback X, Y, and Z with your callsign, please." Concise comms are key. I'm sure this is what you're getting at, but there are pilots I fly with who believe all they need to do is transmit their call sign to acknowledge instructions.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
This seems like a random thing to get pissy about lol. There's a lot more shit I can think of than someone throwing a "Kilo" into their airport identifier. None of the 3-letter US identifiers have a K as their first letter, so if you hear a "Kilo" you can probably just assume off the bat that it's going to be a 4-letter.

bob44zw

Apr 5, 2011
Concise vs. Minimal.

Here is my minimum readback: Two Eight Right, Four Zulu Whiskey. The controller may get " number two" inserted in that, but I will not clutter the frequency with "Cleared for the option number two behind the King Air Left Base Four Zulu Whiskey" and then have them beg me for the runway number. Minimalist, and others are now following my lead.

No, my minimum readback is to a "standby". If you say standby to me, you get nothing back, not even a mike click. My students are instructed to read back a runway number with their callsign any time - any time - ATC assigns them a runway. A simple N- number is all that is required so far, but I bet my runway readback will become mandatory within five years.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
Concise vs. Minimal.

Here is my minimum readback: Two Eight Right, Four Zulu Whiskey. The controller may get " number two" inserted in that, but I will not clutter the frequency with "Cleared for the option number two behind the King Air Left Base Four Zulu Whiskey" and then have them beg me for the runway number. Minimalist, and others are now following my lead.

No, my minimum readback is to a "standby". If you say standby to me, you get nothing back, not even a mike click. My students are instructed to read back a runway number with their callsign any time - any time - ATC assigns them a runway. A simple N- number is all that is required so far, but I bet my runway readback will become mandatory within five years.
The first paragraph describes a terrible readback. If you're sequenced behind traffic you should somehow acknowledge the sequence.

ATC: "November 4ZW, Runway 28R, cleared to land, number two behind King Air on left base."
Pilot: "Number 2, Runway 28R, cleared to land, N4ZW."
or
Pilot: "Traffic in sight, Runway 28R, cleared to land, N4ZW."

If you're cleared to land and intend to conduct a touch-and-go, reading back the clearance in addition to the runway is of utmost importance.

ATC: "N4ZW, Runway 28R, cleared to land."
Pilot: "N4ZW, Runway 28R."
<pilot conducts touch and go...deviation from clearance>

Readback of all runway assignments is required as of June 25, 2015 as the result of an update to the ATC order which requires controllers to verify all runway assignments.

bob44zw

Apr 5, 2011
Re-read my post. If I am number 2, I recite that. If I have any question about the clearance, I ask. If I cannot remember whether it was for the option or full stop, I will get it clarified. If they mess up my N- number I will get that recited and answered. The day I cannot remember whether my clearance was to land or option, and cannot remember to verify it, is the day I stop flying.

We have far too many foreign students practicing English on the frequency for me to tie up the frequency with extensive readbacks.

I did not know they made it mandatory - I have been predicting it for about five years. It is a good thing. Too many folks do not recite runway numbers, and now it is because they are unaware of that change three months ago, as was I until a minute ago!

Dub

Rookie
Oct 14, 2013
19th Floor
Why do pilot feel the need to say "requesting flight following to kilo oscar Sierra hotel"? This may just be a pet peeve of mine but it is really annoying and hard to figure out what airport you are talking about. Do any other controllers find this annoying? You can pretty much guarantee that if you start with a " K" that I will be asking you the airport ID again. Now if you are headed out of the U.S. then I understand.
What facility outside the U.S. starts with a K? This of all things is your pet peeve? Weak.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
My pet peeve is when they slow from 250 to 210 or worse 180 without telling you. Next thing you realize the guy behind him still doing 250 is eating him up. Not mentioning any names....AAL.

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
What facility OUTSIDE the US starts with a K? Many unless you're asking a question with no answer. Care to narrow it down to ICAO or FAA? I had to bypass about 200 airports starting with K to find the ones in the US to give you a chance to be right and you were still wrong.

Even within the lower 48 it took me about 6 seconds to find out Mesa del Rey and Kickapoo Falls are KK using this thing they call google. That's after I threw out any Alaskan results too.

Oops, still finding more.

FYI Brownie has been doing this ATC thing far longer than you. Weak is not knowing the rules and reality. It seems Brownie actually knows the rules and you don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: atcbrownie

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
We get a lot of good ole boys flying around and will call up over some random ass bridge or spot that only locals know and it turns into 20 questions. I know your pain haha.
"I'm over Nebraska furniture outlet"

Ya thanks, can you pick me up a couch, then tell me where the effff that is in relation to the airport?

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
"I'm over Nebraska furniture outlet"

Ya thanks, can you pick me up a couch, then tell me where the effff that is in relation to the airport?
Haha yup. So damn annoying and just eats up the frequency with unnecessary bs. Do you guys not have radar down there?

I must say though, Nebraska furniture mart is pretty damn nice.

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
Haha yup. So damn annoying and just eats up the frequency with unnecessary bs. Do you guys not have radar down there?

I must say though, Nebraska furniture mart is pretty damn nice.
Ya, we have a Stars fed in from d10. its still annoying when dude isn't tagged up and I've got 8 vfrs floating around up to the north.

And I have not been, I'm trying to figure out what furniture I can pare down at the moment, not trying to buy anything. I have heard good things though.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Frequency change approved! Haha. They have about damn near anything you need.