Please Give Opinion?

jaxington18

Sep 2, 2013
So after careful consideration i have decided to do the cti program at vaughn college. This decision will end up with me graduating with close to 40k in student debt. I plan on graduating in 2015 at the age of 22 and get a WQ score on AT SAT. My question is if all goes according to plan do you guys think there is a chance i never get picked up? I know that there will be a long wait time which i don't mind but im worried that i may never get selected because of the current ATC backlog. Is it possible that someone like me may even phase out and reach the cut off age of 31, i mean 9 years of eligibility seems almost impossible you don't get picked up but who knows? What do you guys think? I don't want this decision to haunt me Thanks

C

charliezuluatc

50/50. The agency is probably revamping the hiring system. No one knows how things will be come January 2014, let alone 2015 and beyond.

jaxington18

Sep 2, 2013
At Spades
Oh danm that sucks and yea i can second that this school sucks. The only reason i chose this school is because it is close to my house and i hear that many Vaughn graduates eventually get picked up because its a school that caters to many minorities. I also see that almost a third of all atcs in Kennedy airport are Vaughn graduates which i though was good. I did not know about the three year expiration i though its was valid every year as long as you apply for an extension well that sucks

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Who cares what CTI school you go too? So long as it gives a paper that lets you apply that's all you need. Anything you need to know will be taught at the Academy and most importantly on OJT. With the wait between graduation and the Academy you'll probably brain dump 98% of the stuff taught at college anyway. By all means take the cheapest, quickest route. (this advice might change if the FAA starts putting weight behind which school during hiring)

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
No matter what, controllers have to retire by their 56th birthdays. The Agency doesn't want to grant waivers to relatively expensive employees to work for another year or two. Instead, the Agency would rather hire two or three new employees for the same money, one or two of whom will have a 25-year+ career.

If you have a CTI credential in hand at 22, you've done as much as you can to be hired without joining the military to work as an air traffic controller. If becoming a FAA controller is what you want, then borrowing $40k for a job potentially worth a few million over the course of a career and retirement is a good risk.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
1/3 of people working JFK are Vaughn grads....highly unlikely. You probably heard that from Vaughn. If its true then remind to fly into LGA or EWR instead.

The FAA is probably changing the way hiring is going to happen. There was a rumor that CTI schools would be ranked and that would be factored into the hiring decision. If that happens then Vaughn would be ranked fairly low. But its just a rumor.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Who cares what CTI school you go too? So long as it gives a paper that lets you apply that's all you need. Anything you need to know will be taught at the Academy and most importantly on OJT. With the wait between graduation and the Academy you'll probably brain dump 98% of the stuff taught at college anyway. By all means take the cheapest, quickest route. (this advice might change if the FAA starts putting weight behind which school during hiring)
Actually...the CTI school you go to does make a difference. Back when we were getting CTI students here at N90, Beaver county graduates had an insanely high rate of success. If my memory serves me well, I can only recall one training failure from that school, while the other schools had different degrees of failure, and Vaughn had almost quite the total opposite record from Beaver grads. It was because of all those other schools failing that we temporarily stopped taking CTI's, because there is no way to say "We only want Beaver grads" without somebody claiming discrimination.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Actually...the CTI school you go to does make a difference. Back when we were getting CTI students here at N90, Beaver county graduates had an insanely high rate of success. If my memory serves me well, I can only recall one training failure from that school, while the other schools had different degrees of failure, and Vaughn had almost quite the total opposite record from Beaver grads. It was because of all those other schools failing that we temporarily stopped taking CTI's, because there is no way to say "We only want Beaver grads" without somebody claiming discrimination.
I stand corrected. Although I do wonder if it applies as much now with the long wait between graduation and OKC/facility.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
You want the best opinion anyone will give you? Have a backup...

Youre a damn fool if you rack up 40k in debt with your only college chances being ATC... 5 years ago you would have been an idiot for spending the money, now youre an idiot for going into debt for it. Huge differences in the last 48mo, go to college for something else that gives you the CTI cert but you get a degree worth something. With the cutting in spending and everything else, a CTI grad can expect a 1/6 chance of actually getting this job with all the schools looking to capitalize right now. Its about the dollar, not the career.

kingjoemom

Jun 22, 2011
Makes me glad I'm at Beaver right now..... Too bad it'll take like 8 years to get hired.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
Wait until the end of this week. There's a CTI conference going on right now where the FAA is reportedly discussing the hiring process with CTI coordinators. Stick with whatever plan you're on until we get more information.