Point Mugu

scbbrady17

Rookie
Oct 18, 2010
BFL
anyone on here currently at Point Mugu? What is the training looking like? whats the possibility of going there as an e-5 and leaving with a CTO and an approach ticket? Im looking at going there for my next duty station and want some info on the controlling and the general area.

ccraft1987

Rookie
Oct 12, 2012
My friend Kenny Contreas Just transferred from there. Was an AC2 and now a GM2. According to him, you have to get in good with the Civilian training crew and I think Senior Garcia is still there. If you havnt heard of him, Just ask one of your Chiefs. We had the pleasure of working with him at NQI. He said they got a good steady traffic. Tower wise im not so sure of, Mostly RADAR to surrounding air fields. He loved the area and the crew too. Hope this helps you even a little.

Former AC2 now Civilian!

quietbird

Newcomer
Jun 15, 2008
I spent a little over nine years at NTD as a civilian but it was a long time ago. So I can't give much insight into how things are within the facility these days. As far as the local environment it is a super place to live and work, though like most areas of California it is definitely on the expensive side. There was much more traffic then than now. I think they just remodeled the radar room. You'll enjoy the area.

LBCALI

Apr 13, 2009
Former AC1 Twr Sup/Appch Controller.....the tower is a joke now compared to years past, so getting done upstairs shouldn't be difficult at all. As far as downstairs is concerned, they just got retrofitted with STARs, however, they may be losing the airspace to Santa Barbara but that won't be anytime soon. With that being said I don't know how aggressive the chain of command is in pushing the civilians to get the military side qualified. If you should get the opportunity to train, be ready!!! You'll get your ass handed to you at times, but its a quality ticket to earn....it was a great stepping stone for me getting checked out at SoCal TRACON.

As far as the area is concerned, it's boring if you're young and single but great for raising a family in the Camarillo area. Good luck to as you go forward in your career as a controller and as a sailor....thanks for your service!!!!

ttyl

Newcomer
May 4, 2013
Don't know what ccraft1987 is talking about, he was never stationed there at Mugu. the area is great and the work is good. facility used to be total anarchy. I used to work for Senior when he was a first class and know others who worked for him as a chief and senior. He expects you to do your job and get qualified, no excuses. If you didn't agree with that, we know what type of controller you are, he could work traffic without a doubt. Will he stick his neck out for his sailors, no doubt. He's not afraid to go to bat for them and handle it. What I understand now, people are getting qualified, training is good, but it depends on you and if you're willing to put in the work. Good place, but radar is extremely difficult... No promises.

Retired AC1

MatthewMateo

Newcomer
Sep 3, 2013
Atlanta, GA
You don't have to get in good with the DOD controller there, you just have to have an idea of how to do your job. Kenny was cool as :p:p:p:p, but couldn't cut it on CD after a very long period of training. I trained Kenny personally while I was there. ACCS Garcia is pretty cool as well. He doesn't like people that aren't able to really do their jobs. He gave the opportunity of getting my CTO out there when I was a 3rd Class and there was a long list of 2nd classes and even some 1st classes that hadn't had their training up in the tower yet.

Tower traffic isn't the most dense, but you'll see a wide variety of aircraft at the same time. Something that a lot of Navy towers don't get to see. It does get pretty busy from time to time. Depending on how my E-2Cs wanna go play in the FCLP pattern. You'll definitely walk out of there with your CTO as a 2nd class unless you really struggle with your "basic 4".

Approach does get pretty tricky. The airspace is highly complex and you see a very steady amount of traffic throughout the year. If you don't show immediate controller aptitude in that room while training on CD and think it's below you to sit there and type up flight following plans, you probably won't get a chance to sit there. If you really wanna get it, spend some time with Walt. That guy is incredibly knowledgeable and more than willing to sit down with you on an evening watch and go over some things with you.

Fantastic facility. It can really open up your future if you take advantage of all the opportunities they'll provide for you.

The area is pretty :p:p:p:p:p:p:p awesome as well. Hour drive to Los Angeles, 45 minutes to Santa Barabara. Ventura has a decent night life. Really nice place to live in general. Tons of things to do locally as well.