Pool 1 CTI No TOL

FoxtrotEcho

Rookie
Dec 14, 2016
Wait never mind, read previous post and answered my own question. The reason I ask is that I once worked for an airline and made $10 an hour. This was a few years ago, but from what I'm hearing things have not gotten a whole lot better. I know of one airline right now at my airport that starts at $12.

MTCTIGUY

Trusted Contributor
Jun 19, 2008
The 'Boro
Wait never mind, read previous post and answered my own question. The reason I ask is that I once worked for an airline and made $10 an hour. This was a few years ago, but from what I'm hearing things have not gotten a whole lot better. I know of one airline right now at my airport that starts at $12.
Ramp and customer service aren't the only airline jobs. Dispatch, crew scheduling, safety, training, and various types of administrative jobs are present at the corporate HQs and sometimes at regional offices. I personally enjoy my airline job, it's been fun while waiting, and I've gained valuable safety experience I can bring to ATC.

FoxtrotEcho

Rookie
Dec 14, 2016
I know dispatch is good if you are on mainline, but I have heard it's very difficult to get in. Does anyone know if this is still true? Also I don't know much about the safety side either, did you need a lot of experience to do this?

MTCTIGUY

Trusted Contributor
Jun 19, 2008
The 'Boro
I know dispatch is good if you are on mainline, but I have heard it's very difficult to get in. Does anyone know if this is still true? Also I don't know much about the safety side either, did you need a lot of experience to do this?
Routes to dispatch vary among carriers. You can almost always direct hire into dispatch at any of the regionals if they're hiring but mainline varies. Delta and Southwest for instance typically hire from within, so doing anything to get your foot in the door with them would be good. United and American will hire outsiders, but prefer those who worked for one of their regional partners. Allegiant, JetBlue, and Alaska also hire from the outside, but usually only once or twice a year, and they prefer regional experience.

Ways people get into Safety vary. Originally, I only got my Masters Degree in Aviation Safety after my CTI degree to waste some time (and keep partying in college) while waiting on the FAA, but in part, since I've been passed over on so many panels, it's actually helped out a lot. I've had a fairly rewarding and fulfilling experience in safety & security and I can see the impact of my contributions throughout various company manuals and changes in day-to-day operations.

Many people have experience in something else beforehand and several have a professional license (Commercial/A&P/Dispatch), but some accidentally stumble into it. I have a Dispatch license from my time in college doing CTI. My first related jobs were as an unpaid regulatory intern for the TSA, then as a safety & security intern at a major low cost carrier. I then stumbled into an awesome job managing Safety & Security for an international supplemental operator, and now I'm at a large low cost carrier as an operations evaluator. Really interesting field actually.

With the supplemental carrier, I went to several countries (i.e. Kyrgyzstan, Germany, Kuwait, Panama, Bahrain, South Africa, Bahamas, China), and with my current carrier, I've traveled to almost every state, several too many times, as well as Mexico and a few places in the Caribbean. Never thought I'd say it, but I'm starting to get a bit tired of all the travel. I could also essentially call myself a general Subject Matter Expert in airline operations, as I've evaluated or had experience in areas such as Flight Ops, Dispatch, Safety, Security, Maintenance Records, Inflight, Ground Ops, Crew Scheduling, Fueling, Deicing, FDA/EPA, OSHA, Drug & Alcohol, Training, Recordkeeping, ASAP, and several more. I've also picked up a few professional certifications during my time in the industry, and the travel benefits are pretty good. Definitely good experience while waiting.

I also talked my boss into hiring a friend of mine from college who had no safety experience outside of having his commercial license and being a brand new UH-60 pilot in the Army Reserves. Now, a little over a year later, he's a Manager in Flight Ops Regulatory Compliance. Sometimes who you know helps as well...

Shiftat9k

Newcomer
Apr 4, 2012
I finally aged out and had to do something with my life. I wanted to stay in aviation without spending too much money so I decided to get a dispatch certificate. I passed the exams in August 2016 and received the certificate. I've been applying ever since without even getting an interview. Dispatching seems to be super hard to get into, as none of the people from my class have gotten hired. I think only one received even an interview.

I'm super glad I took the class when I did as I had two other CTI graduates in it. I completely stopped following the hiring panels as I was aged out and figured it was over for me. My classmate informed that they were doing age waivers. I couldn't believe that I'd have another shot, didn't have high hopes as it's been very disappointing road applying since 2010. I fianlly received the email I've been waiting for on March 7th. Still can't believe I'll finally get a shot at it. Good luck to everyone and I hope they are still working on TOLs.

Reactions: MTCTIGUY

jakeh311

Rookie
Feb 6, 2017
I finally aged out and had to do something with my life. I wanted to stay in aviation without spending too much money so I decided to get a dispatch certificate. I passed the exams in August 2016 and received the certificate. I've been applying ever since without even getting an interview. Dispatching seems to be super hard to get into, as none of the people from my class have gotten hired. I think only one received even an interview.

I'm super glad I took the class when I did as I had two other CTI graduates in it. I completely stopped following the hiring panels as I was aged out and figured it was over for me. My classmate informed that they were doing age waivers. I couldn't believe that I'd have another shot, didn't have high hopes as it's been very disappointing road applying since 2010. I fianlly received the email I've been waiting for on March 7th. Still can't believe I'll finally get a shot at it. Good luck to everyone and I hope they are still working on TOLs.
you know, for all the stories of good people that get shit luck...it's good to see one of these every now and then. Congrats man and good luck. To everyone still waiting, I hope fortune favors you...and if this guys story tells you anything, even if you don't believe, never stop applying.

Feb 24, 2017

This makes me really happy to read. All the congratulations dude!

TKA

Rookie
Oct 7, 2010
So I received an email from the ATO stating that there were in fact bands on this bid. Based on your AT-SA score is whether you were listed as "Well-Qualified" or "Qualified." Additionally they stated that they had so many score in "Well Qualified" that no one from "Qualified" will be considered.

Now unless I missed something the AT-SA was pass/fail. Though when I go to the posting for the job I cannot find that stated verbatim. All it says is that you must pass the AT-SA to be considered.

If anyone has actual screenshots or information on it being pass/fail please PM the screenshots/information.

I did respond explaining that I was told it is a pass/fail aptitude test.

On a separate note that would mean vet pref was added to the score. Based on your score and the points you get is where you fell.

I wouldn't expect a TOL from here on out. Congratulations to those who were selected. This is probably my last bid.
Got almost the same email.
I know I'm responding super late to this but I was out of town for over a week with limited internet and am trying to catch up with these posts. Was just wondering which email address you guys emailed that the ATO responded to you?

I'm also wondering if you still get referred status if you fall under 'Qualified' band. What's the point of giving referred status if they are only going to consider 'Well-Qualified'...

Did they ever respond to your second email?

TKA

Rookie
Oct 7, 2010

Congrats man, this made me happy to read and still gives me hope. It looks like even if they do start sending out TOLs again, it may not be for some time because it seems like they are really busy with CILs for current TOL holders.

YouAppearToBeOnFire

Feb 3, 2017
When they got back to me they stated even though they didn't mention bands in the posting that it is in their HR directive. That we could reach out to HR reps in regards to that. Otherwise I was told to bid again when available. It's been a few weeks and I haven't bothered monitoring me email because they told me no one in the qualified bracket would be considered.

They did tell me they sent out over 2,000 TOLs though....

rumblr224

May 9, 2016
When they got back to me they stated even though they didn't mention bands in the posting that it is in their HR directive. That we could reach out to HR reps in regards to that. Otherwise I was told to bid again when available. It's been a few weeks and I haven't bothered monitoring me email because they told me no one in the qualified bracket would be considered.

They did tell me they sent out over 2,000 TOLs though....

Wow seems more than the other bids if I'm remembering correctly. But then again all we hear all day is how short staffed they are.

Interesting