Portland TRACON/Daytona Beach Tower with RADAR/Jacksonville Tower with RADAR

aalotis

Newcomer
Nov 8, 2016
So I recently submitted my preferences and these were my top three. I haven't heard back yet as to what facility I'm going to, but I am interested if anyone has any information about the training programs at any of these facilities.

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
JAX sends a lot of people to the NEST.

Portland has lousy FLMs and an ATM who tries to make life difficult.

You will work hard at DAB - they're a 9 and on certain days the VFR + Riddle stuff will drive you insane.

DaOsprey

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2014
JAX sends a lot of people to the NEST.

Portland has lousy FLMs and an ATM who tries to make life difficult.

You will work hard at DAB - they're a 9 and on certain days the VFR + Riddle stuff will drive you insane.
It is like a threeway with all shemale. Everyone is taking it up the ass, just make sure it isn't you.

Moneymike

Rookie
Jan 7, 2013
Oh you mean get fucked like 90% of the CPCs at those facilities right now?
I'd never say I was "fucked". Now yes 10 of my former military buddies went to level 12's, however 3 went into the nest voluntarily and another washed. The rest are still in training and likely will be for the next two years. They get their shit pushed in daily. I average 20 hours a week on position and made 85k last year. I'd never say I was "fucked".

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
Yes we are that miserable. Being stuck at a facility making 71k while all your other coworkers make 100k plus is not a good feeling. Plus when those same people complain endlessly about the most trivial crap day in and day out is enough to make someone go insane. Then when we apply for bids for higher level facilities and get denied because we "don't have enough experience" is really a kick in the teeth when those SAME facilities are taking people with NO EXPERIENCE. Then let's top it off with this new ERR policy that our union backed and we are essentially stuck here for the foreseeable future. Do you blame us now? Watching all of your peers from the military get directly hired to 12's leaves a bad taste in our mouths.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
BrewnATC... What an epic response...as far as the OP goes, there's no sugar coating it, it's going to be rough, most of us in FL just draw a big red X over DAB and JAX

accraft

Senior Analyst
Feb 20, 2011
Oxnard, CA
BrewnATC... What an epic response...as far as the OP goes, there's no sugar coating it, it's going to be rough, most of us in FL just draw a big red X over DAB and JAX
DAB is a VFR Cluster with RDDL guys, JAX. Jax is a special sort of chaos. (Currently at Jax and out the door on this same nest) The tower here isnt bad, hardest part about JAX tower is getting the traffic to get certified. RADAR here is no joke. It is two approach controls in one fac, JAX area and Gainsville area is how we split the two sides of the air space. North area has North controller, thats Arrival, departure and over flights combined. The "Combo" Is Satalite, East and West. They tend to split the East and west side, East and sat stay combined as its just altitude split otherwise. Gainsville area tends to split between Gainsville and Vitts sector.

North has a few sat airfields with no towers and they feed Jax and is the primary dep controller as most departures go north out of jax. They mostly work air carrier and some GA. The Combo has two of the busiest contract towers in the US, and multiple Military bases, so they have GA, Military and some Air Carrier. Gainsville area is mostly all GA, SFC-100 and Gainsville Air Port itself gets some Air Carrier in and out but not nearly as much as the north side.

JAX ATM is working hard to get this place in better shape manning wise and wants at least 7 scopes open for normally daily ops with hand off's standing by. If this place gets some decent controllers it would be in much better shape. The controllers here are a younger group, most of the old guys out the door. Very young facility and for the most part everyone gets along.