Portland TRACON

HighAltitudeTD

Newcomer
Apr 16, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
I wanted to get some info about the training program and what the hiring outlook is looking like for the next year at Portland. Anyone know anything? Thanks for any help. I'm a CTI student looking to graduate soon. Any other information on the facility would be greatly appreciated.

jarhead0863

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2009
According to the FAA's Controller Workforce Plan, P80 has 34 controllers. The high end of their staffing range is 29. So according to that they are overstaffed, but just about every facility is overstaffed according to that plan and we all know that is not true in reality.

jhbrough

Newcomer
Jan 21, 2009
They just lost two trainees. It is a dang hard facility, try to start out somewhere smaller and easier.

skiing ninja

Newcomer
Jan 13, 2014
You don't want to work here. Mandatory sectors open traffic or not. Mandatory 1hr on position before break. No break list. Mandatory more people plugged in than on break. Training program is a joke. You have been warned.

eagetal96

Feb 9, 2009
You don't want to work here. Mandatory sectors open traffic or not. Mandatory 1hr on position before break. No break list. Mandatory more people plugged in than on break. Training program is a joke. You have been warned.
That sucks, the bid is tempting, but not now!

ppxatcs

Rookie
Feb 8, 2009
Reno, NV
I don't mind working for an hour. I don't mind sitting on a sector with no traffic. I know that it is frustrating when there is absolutely no good reason to do so, but I can deal with that. What specifically is so bad about the training program?

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
OMG! An hour on position without a break?!
How in the world can that be an issue for anyone....

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
sounds like the ATM is tying down the FLM from doing their jobs
Or maybe the ATM is trying to beat the bean counters at their own game.

Controllers can be our worst enemy. Want lots of breaks and lots of staffing...not going to happen at the same time without a little give and take.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
OMG! An hour on position without a break?!
How in the world can that be an issue for anyone....
The only issue would be sitting on a dead scope with no traffic. That's boring as hell. I don't mind sitting for way over an hour, but give me at least some light traffic. Anything to keep me alert.