Potential Government Shut Down Rumors Going Around

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I agree the CTI programs essentially swindled millions from the poor kids or their parents and made a job sound like a for sure deal when in fact it was not-however, for every CTI grad I know a military guy in the same boat (going back to way before the Bio-Q). I was one of them. You know how much of a suck it is to work for Uncle Ray as an academy RPO after being a military controller, applying to every CTO and VRA bid (I guess those are combined into "previous experience bids" now?) twice a year for 4-5 years before being hired, while watching people with no real world experience, either off the street pubnats hires or CTI go in front of you while you get the red check o death? Oh then you get hired, and sequestration happens, and not only do you get delayed in the FAA hiring process by 8 months, YOU LOSE YOUR ACTUAL JOB THAT YOU CURRENTLY HAVE.that's right, I, along with at least few more people I know off the top of my head had that happen to them.

Ya it sucks, its not fair.... guess what? life is not fair. Its a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things. worse things can happen, and its just another thing you should get used to being a government employee-people in charge of the budget on the hill saying they care about their constituents out of one side of their mouths while they politick out the other side and hurt those same people. It's not going to change except when you get on the job suddenly you aren't worried about getting hired, you are worried about your actual paycheck, and more importantly in the long term, your retirement benefits- which is what you should really be paying attention to right now as a would be non-vested employee and thats not even including all the non political bullshit you'll deal with on the day to day at any given facility (union/management drama, NCEPT garbage etc).

Not to be a dick, but your problem isn't new or even uncommon....better get used to it.

/rant complete/
Well to be fair you were merely an Army "controller"

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
And in any case a CTO at a shitty airport is better than none at all
I'll add that while my CTO from *insert low traffic airport here* probably did nothing as far as getting my TOL after 3 years, it almost certainly got me the job I have now. For ANYONE in the same boat (as me at least) who thinks there aren't good paying jobs out there for you, I implore you to look harder, think outside the box, and be willing to relocate before the FAA ever calls.

I worked for about a year and a half miserably for no money living at home until I took a shot in the dark and applied for an aviation related job 4 hours from home. One that I never even considered fresh out of school. And at this point I'll be taking a pay cut for at least the first 2-3 years at the academy and (hopefully) my first facility.

Moral of the story, if you have a CTO or CTI degree, less time bitching and more time applying works out in the end. I used to feel like a lot of the people on the verge of giving up, but seriously, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

SPOONY90

Trusted Contributor
Jun 11, 2014
I'll add that while my CTO from *insert low traffic airport here* probably did nothing as far as getting my TOL after 3 years, it almost certainly got me the job I have now. For ANYONE in the same boat (as me at least) who thinks there aren't good paying jobs out there for you, I implore you to look harder, think outside the box, and be willing to relocate before the FAA ever calls.

I worked for about a year and a half miserably for no money living at home until I took a shot in the dark and applied for an aviation related job 4 hours from home. One that I never even considered fresh out of school. And at this point I'll be taking a pay cut for at least the first 2-3 years at the academy and (hopefully) my first facility.

Moral of the story, if you have a CTO or CTI degree, less time bitching and more time applying works out in the end. I used to feel like a lot of the people on the verge of giving up, but seriously, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Good post, Shirley

trall006

Nov 2, 2016
Twin Cities
I want to know if this will happen.
There should be absolutely no reason they would throw out current TOLs and start over because of a government shutdown. The shutdown probably won't happen, but if it does, it would just mean a delay in the hiring process, probably not even as long as the executive order to freeze federal hiring. If they stop non essential operations, they will turn off their computers and lock the doors and then when it's over, they'll walk right back in and start where they left off in not sending me my CIL haha.

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
So they have until 11:59:59 ET Friday to pass a budget?
No. They have until that time to pass yet another Continuing Resolution that gets us through the rest of the fiscal year and then we'll go into crisis mode again around 25 Sept.

An actual federal budget, that complies with public law and fiscal planning sanity is an entirely different matter
that Congress and the White House have failed to grasp for the better part of a decade.

They should already be working on the FY 18 budget, but it's April and they're still bitching about the rest of this fiscal year.