Potomac TRACON - PCT

ATCjohn75

Newcomer
Jan 12, 2009
Bealeton, VA
Hey guys. I have a school date of August 5th and am graduating Sept. 15th then it's off to Potomac Tracon. I was wondering if anyone had any information about the area around PCT such as where to avoid going, colleges, etc, etc. My e-mail is atcjohn75@gmail.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

USMCATC

Newcomer
Jan 31, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Re: Looking for information about Potomac tracon

John, I am going to Potomac as well, I also have the same class dates as you. Have you already made housing arrangements? Also, my FOL says we are allowed 1 day travel after OKC. Not sure if you are driving or flying, but I was planning on driving, but seems like since we finish on Monday Sept, 14 that we don't get the weekend for travel. 1 day of travel is cutting it close? Any thoughts on this?

Kevin

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009

Others have brought this up before and most facilities will let you take advanced leave which you will have to earn after getting there. I don't want to be without a car the whole time I am there so I plan on driving as well when the time comes. Good luck.

Dale

Jun 19, 2008
Uniondale, Indiana

1 day of travel is cutting it close? Any thoughts on this?
If you left shortly after school on Monday, You MIGHT be able to make it by Tuesday evening. That is with no rest stops, only stops for gas and food.

I don't understand how the FAA can do this except that, as probational employees, NATCA is limited on what it can do to protect you. Still, it seems like a safety issue to me.

As a PASS member, I was only required to travel 350 miles per day, though we rarely limited ourselves to this figure. For me, OKC was 900 miles, and I traveled it in 2 days each way, on official time, as long as the class/classes were 16 class days or longer. If the class was shorter than that, I would take the hit and use annual leave.

In any case, I would use at least 1 day of annual leave, and get to Virginia better rested.

strykr

Aug 18, 2008
Warrenton, VA

John, I am going to Potomac as well, I also have the same class dates as you. Have you already made housing arrangements? Also, my FOL says we are allowed 1 day travel after OKC. Not sure if you are driving or flying, but I was planning on driving, but seems like since we finish on Monday Sept, 14 that we don't get the weekend for travel. 1 day of travel is cutting it close? Any thoughts on this?

Kevin
You should earn 8 days of Administrative leave when you graduate the Academy that you should be able to use for travel, house hunting, finding Dr.'s etc... Everyone has the "one day" deal on their FOL but most managers are willing to work with you on that because they understand that it is impossible for most to get across the country in a day, all you need to do is contact your ATM or Sup and you should be fine. Kevin, did that hold at ROA send you to PCT?

ysj2482

Rookie
Dec 13, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Potomac TRACON

Try to stay in the Warrenton/Gainesville area if you can. Otterstrom is right. WAY too expensive around there. At least if you stay near the tracon you've got a fighting chance.

klessmastime

Newcomer
Apr 24, 2009

just found out i've been selected for PCT... PEPC on June 26. I'm from the DC area so I'm familiar with the cost of living. I went on a tour a few weeks back. I can't wait till I get there!

mills3ff

Mar 3, 2009
Port Orange

Did you ask for the 26th or did they confirm it. I'm asking because I requested the same date but I have not heard back yet. I'd like to know so I can get my ticket.

LTKL

Newcomer
Jun 3, 2009
NC

I'm currently on military leave from PCT (which they have been fine with). A simple call to the training manager gave me enough time to get there without rushing.

USMCATC

Newcomer
Jan 31, 2009
Cleveland, OH

I'm currently on military leave from PCT (which they have been fine with). A simple call to the training manager gave me enough time to get there without rushing.
How long are you on military leave for? deployment or just AT? Just curious how that works b/c I will still have 3 years left in the reserves.

LTKL

Newcomer
Jun 3, 2009
NC

I've been on military leave for 9 months now and I have a year to go. It's all for training (AMS+Tech School+OJT). I've just stayed in touch with them and they've been supportive.

klessmastime

Newcomer
Apr 24, 2009

folks who have had their background checks done for PCT: we're you asked to complete form SF86 (a higher clearance background check) or SF85 (the lower clearance background check)? I'm asking because the other folks who are terminal and going to the PEPC in two weeks with me were asked to complete SF85. Does PCT require a high clearance than other TRACONS?

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008

folks who have had their background checks done for PCT: we're you asked to complete form SF86 (a higher clearance background check) or SF85 (the lower clearance background check)? I'm asking because the other folks who are terminal and going to the PEPC in two weeks with me were asked to complete SF85. Does PCT require a high clearance than other TRACONS?
I would tend to doubt it. I'm at DCA and I didn't have to do anything extra.

mmactuba

Rookie
Aug 20, 2008
Maryland

I'm also headed to PCT! Found out at the PEPC last week... How many are there total from 5-6 that are going?

Also, are there any current PCT controllers on here? Where are the best places to live without a ridiculous commute or cost of living?
Thanks!! Now its just time to play the waiting game....

atcbrownie

Trusted Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va

I'm also headed to PCT! Found out at the PEPC last week... How many are there total from 5-6 that are going?

Also, are there any current PCT controllers on here? Where are the best places to live without a ridiculous commute or cost of living?
Thanks!! Now its just time to play the waiting game....
I am looking in bealeton. Its about a 20 min drive to pct and the cost of living is a lot cheaper than warrenton, bristow, gainesville. The town of bealeton is very small but like I said it is much cheaper. You also will have very little traffic to deal with to and from work. I know when we went to look at houses it took us almost 25 mins to get to gainesville because of traffic.

racoogle

Newcomer
Jul 8, 2009

I'm heading to PCT, class date of 8/18. Know the area as well as anyone, since I grew up 5 miles from PCT. feel free to ask me any questions, meet up in OKC or whatever.

Don't live in Bealeton, sure its cheaper but if you want to have a social life you aren't going to find it there. Warrenton or Gainesville is the best, check Somerset Apartments in Gainesville or Highland Commons in Warrenton, or Alls and Company in warrenton if you don't want to live in a big complex. wardnt at hotmail dot com if you want to email me. I know most of the developmentals that are already here (i work for raytheon at the facility) and i know some of them are looking for roommates.

As far as the travel time, Steve Smith will definately work with you for whatever you need.

Nick Ward