Potomac TRACON - PCT

luddy

Newcomer
Dec 17, 2013
I'm glad I work at a Z with a normal keyboard. I'd want to pound in some reps head If they stuck with that crappy keyboard.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
haha its amazing how much nicer center equipment can be, even compared to high volume towers or tracons

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
haha its amazing how much nicer center equipment can be, even compared to high volume towers or tracons
A lot of the big TRACON's are the LAST to get nice, new equipment. They give it to the smaller facilities to troubleshoot and debug first and by the time the big facilities get it it's already obsolete. I mean, they finally cleared out the asbestos from N90 last summer but freaking Tucson gets a $50mil+ control tower.

luddy

Newcomer
Dec 17, 2013
A lot of the big TRACON's are the LAST to get nice, new equipment. They give it to the smaller facilities to troubleshoot and debug first and by the time the big facilities get it it's already obsolete. I mean, they finally cleared out the asbestos from N90 last summer but freaking Tucson gets a $50mil+ control tower.
Absolutely true, it makes sense that equipment and procedures have to get the kinks worked out before we get them. But, of course, the faa wouldnt spend the resources to work out those kinks in r&d and then deliver them to the high volume facilities first.

That is pretty mind boggling that tucson would get that kind of money spent on them but you guys still have that wonderful old building.

ChefBryardee

Rookie
Jul 5, 2018
Fort Worth
Anybody currently at PCT still around and can tell me how you guys are doing, staff-wise? I looked at the staff chart on pointsixtyfive, and says PCT has a lot of developmentals and a quite a few outbounds.

I put in for the open bid last month, but I'm hoping for a prior bid that might be able to set me up at PCT.

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
Anybody currently at PCT still around and can tell me how you guys are doing, staff-wise? I looked at the staff chart on pointsixtyfive, and says PCT has a lot of developmentals and a quite a few outbounds.

I put in for the open bid last month, but I'm hoping for a prior bid that might be able to set me up at PCT.
A long time friend is a Supe there. He says they really need supes. A bid coming soon and military time counts.fyi.

rytomi

Honor and Determination
Jun 15, 2009
PCT

I'm currently at PCT and have no plans of going anywhere. Staffing tends to bump between being Cat2 and NoCat levels. Basically it means we are just at the level where they can let people go, then they stop until levels rise again, then repeat.

As far as developmentals… It's really kind of low right now. I'm in the CHP area, and by the end of this year we'll have only 2 developmentals left still training - the rest are expected to finish in the next few months (4 of them). Other areas I believe also have 6 or less also. We are hurting for FLMs pretty bad, but I say screw that.

You mentioned prior experience... are you previous FAA or previous military? One thing that does hurt our staffing is that they won't send any non-experienced hires here, I think its something about some rule where non-experienced hires to terminal are limited to level 9 or lower facilities (unless you volunteer for N90). Not sure if that's actually written anywhere, but that seems to be how it is in practice.

ChefBryardee

Rookie
Jul 5, 2018
Fort Worth
I'm currently at PCT and have no plans of going anywhere. Staffing tends to bump between being Cat2 and NoCat levels. Basically it means we are just at the level where they can let people go, then they stop until levels rise again, then repeat.

As far as developmentals… It's really kind of low right now. I'm in the CHP area, and by the end of this year we'll have only 2 developmentals left still training - the rest are expected to finish in the next few months (4 of them). Other areas I believe also have 6 or less also. We are hurting for FLMs pretty bad, but I say screw that.

You mentioned prior experience... are you previous FAA or previous military? One thing that does hurt our staffing is that they won't send any non-experienced hires here, I think its something about some rule where non-experienced hires to terminal are limited to level 9 or lower facilities (unless you volunteer for N90). Not sure if that's actually written anywhere, but that seems to be how it is in practice.
Damn. That's not the first time I've heard that about level 9 and below. I have radar experience, but not approach control. I doubt it would get me there.

Sounds like a great situation for anybody to head into, but I'll probably end up elsewhere, unfortunately.

rytomi

Honor and Determination
Jun 15, 2009
PCT
Damn. That's not the first time I've heard that about level 9 and below. I have radar experience, but not approach control. I doubt it would get me there.

Sounds like a great situation for anybody to head into, but I'll probably end up elsewhere, unfortunately.
It depends on what your previous experience is... We have controllers come who are previous experience without radar.... But I think you need to apply on a previous experience bid for that if you qualify.

ChefBryardee

Rookie
Jul 5, 2018
Fort Worth
It depends on what your previous experience is... We have controllers come who are previous experience without radar.... But I think you need to apply on a previous experience bid for that if you qualify.
That's what I'm waiting on, man. Didn't get picked up for the August '18 off-the-street bid likely because I'm more than a year from my EAOS. Hopefully a prior-ex announcement posts at the right time for me.

customcables067

Sep 1, 2010
You cant really choose which area you want to go to but management will ask which area you want and take it into consideration.
I know this is a super old thread, but I just wanted to leave this here in case anyone still lurks on SM.

This is no longer how area assignments are made. Employee opinion is not taken into account.

Management and NATCA DO collaborate, but not with the employee. It’s based on your past experience and the needs of the building.

Last edited: