Pray for FLL

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I grew up in the south going to church. I've seen it all. The church I "grew up" in saw many forms and hardships from pastors getting addicted to drugs, youth leaders/deacons cheating on their wives, etc. People want to believe in something and I get that, but from my experience its for all the wrong reasons, so maybe I'm jaded. The most judgemental/nasty/spiteful/name it people I've seen in my life have been weekly church goers. I agree with FL_CTIs' statement. It really is the equivalent of typing 'amen' on facebook and you'll come into money within the next 3 days. I'm sure there are a lot of great churches/organizations that do a lot of good, but why so many? You can drive down a lot of streets in the south and within a 1-2 block radius see 5+ churches. If so many of these people want to do so much good, why don't they combine their efforts like a religious kickstarter/gofundme? I bet if you took away that tax exempt status, many of those 'wonderful' people would suddenly disappear.

Also, since we're on the topic and this is more towards the ever popular gibson: what did the controllers do at FLL to deserve extra prayers and congrats? I highly doubt they repelled from the tower call of duty style and stopped the shooter. Why not praise the first responders who actually assisted/stopped the conflict?

I need more whiskey for this..
I just don't see the point in taking a post that was meant to be positive and sympathetic to the victims and turn it into a negative. If you don't believe in prayer, then don't pray. But don't tell others they are wrong for doing it.

I understand what you're saying about people doing things for the wrong reasons because I know plenty of self-righteous "Christians" myself who go to church every Sunday but are the most judgmental, nasty people the other 6 days of the week. And it irks me the same as you. But those people don't represent all Christians or all churches. I don't even go to church myself but I don't feel the need to bash on them. Just like all other groups and organizations, there are good and bad ones.

Also, I see nothing wrong with there being so many churches. It makes them more accessible to everyone. Though their central message is the same, there are subtle differences in interpretations or styles of preaching. One church might just be a better "fit" for you than the one down the street. A person may like the way one preacher carries his message (soft-spoken) over the one who yells passionately lol. Some of us prefer a smaller, more intimate church rather than a mega-church where nobody actually knows each other. But for the record, many churches DO combine efforts. I know the church that I used to go to often joined forces with 5 other churches in town to help with causes.

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
I grew up in the south going to church. I've seen it all. The church I "grew up" in saw many forms and hardships from pastors getting addicted to drugs, youth leaders/deacons cheating on their wives, etc. People want to believe in something and I get that, but from my experience its for all the wrong reasons, so maybe I'm jaded. The most judgemental/nasty/spiteful/name it people I've seen in my life have been weekly church goers. I agree with FL_CTIs' statement. It really is the equivalent of typing 'amen' on facebook and you'll come into money within the next 3 days. I'm sure there are a lot of great churches/organizations that do a lot of good, but why so many? You can drive down a lot of streets in the south and within a 1-2 block radius see 5+ churches. If so many of these people want to do so much good, why don't they combine their efforts like a religious kickstarter/gofundme? I bet if you took away that tax exempt status, many of those 'wonderful' people would suddenly disappear.

Also, since we're on the topic and this is more towards the ever popular gibson: what did the controllers do at FLL to deserve extra prayers and congrats? I highly doubt they repelled from the tower call of duty style and stopped the shooter. Why not praise the first responders who actually assisted/stopped the conflict?

I need more whiskey for this..
Thank you. For the record, I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, but frequently reference both as a figure of speech. I have nothing against personal, religious beliefs and convictions or prayer in general. In fact, I always bow my head in prayer when prompted, when I am a guest in someone's home out of respect for my hosts. But I do take issue with people thinking it is actually helping. I get that people look to prayer as a source of comfort, and can respect that, but I also think those that are directly involved on the front lines of these tragedies deserve more praise at the time than your personal deity.

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you. For the record, I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, but frequently reference both as a figure of speech. I have nothing against personal, religious beliefs and convictions or prayer in general. In fact, I always bow my head in prayer when prompted, when I am a guest in someone's home out of respect for my hosts. But I do take issue with people thinking it is actually helping. I get that people look to prayer as a source of comfort, and can respect that, but I also think those that are directly involved on the front lines of these tragedies deserve more praise at the time than your personal deity.
Yeah, so how does your rant help the people who were affected personally? If ONE person finds comfort in knowing that others are praying for them, who are you to tell them its wrong? If that's ALL it does, then guess what, it IS "actually helping". There are multiple ways to help, and none of them are wrong. If you would rather donate your time/money/resources, then do that. It's really pretty simple, isn't it? I volunteer and I donate to causes when I can, but I can't help every cause in the world. I'm not rich and I don't have the ability to stretch myself to every part of the world. However, I can always pray. It's a simple gesture that to some people means a lot. I fail to see how coming on here with your negativity does anything to help.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
I just don't see the point in taking a post that was meant to be positive and sympathetic to the victims and turn it into a negative. If you don't believe in prayer, then don't pray. But don't tell others they are wrong for doing it.

I understand what you're saying about people doing things for the wrong reasons because I know plenty of self-righteous "Christians" myself who go to church every Sunday but are the most judgmental, nasty people the other 6 days of the week. And it irks me the same as you. But those people don't represent all Christians or all churches. I don't even go to church myself but I don't feel the need to bash on them. Just like all other groups and organizations, there are good and bad ones.

Also, I see nothing wrong with there being so many churches. It makes them more accessible to everyone. Though their central message is the same, there are subtle differences in interpretations or styles of preaching. One church might just be a better "fit" for you than the one down the street. A person may like the way one preacher carries his message (soft-spoken) over the one who yells passionately lol. Some of us prefer a smaller, more intimate church rather than a mega-church where nobody actually knows each other. But for the record, many churches DO combine efforts. I know the church that I used to go to often joined forces with 5 other churches in town to help with causes.
As this is mainly an aviation site, let's just agree to disagree and be done with it. I was making little jabs, but for the record I never claimed anyone was wrong for doing what they believed. Mainly just sharing my experience and how I personally think its a load of bologna. I will also agree with your last paragraph as everyone has different interpretations, styles, etc. The church I grew up in started small (in a building shared by bank and many other businesses) and ended up turning into somewhat of a mega church with multiple 'campuses' and it became quite ridiculous. Kris Allen led the praise and worship team a few times though, if you know who he is, which turned out to be kinda cool.

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
As this is mainly an aviation site, let's just agree to disagree and be done with it. I was making little jabs, but for the record I never claimed anyone was wrong for doing what they believed. Mainly just sharing my experience and how I personally think its a load of bologna. I will also agree with your last paragraph as everyone has different interpretations, styles, etc. The church I grew up in started small (in a building shared by bank and many other businesses) and ended up turning into somewhat of a mega church with multiple 'campuses' and it became quite ridiculous. Kris Allen led the praise and worship team a few times though, if you know who he is, which turned out to be kinda cool.
The singer from American Idol?

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Can someone explain this to me. I live overseas. This is worse than when black people came to my high school and claimed they were a blood or crip to make themselves feel special.

Am I going to have to learn my facilities gang sign to make CPC? You are literally making me question whether I want to change careers cause I honestly don't feel like dealing with kids inflating their egos based off of everyday bantz between their coworkers.

There is history here you unfortunately somehow didn't find on this site. Please read the rest of the threads he started, and then come back to this to agree or disagree. And if you think this is bad, it will not be fun for you if you are training and can't take s**t.
There is ALOT of different kinds of ppl at facilities, but if jb doesn't wash, he will be a something special.

ChiefSlapahoe

Rookie
Jan 4, 2017
There is history here you unfortunately somehow didn't find on this site. Please read the rest of the threads he started, and then come back to this to agree or disagree. And if you think this is bad, it will not be fun for you if you are training and can't take s**t.
There is ALOT of different kinds of ppl at facilities, but if jb doesn't wash, he will be a something special.
Ah, then consider me fortunate. Too many people are high on their pedestal on this forum so thought he was legit.

Thanks for looking out but I think I'm good. I've worked with numerous Marine Corps units. I don't think there is a group of human beings that talk more shit on the face of this urf. I'll look out for guys that try hard at talking shit though.

ScarletJohnson

Newcomer
Sep 30, 2020
Although this event was a long time ago, this is still relevant today. A big catastrophe is happening to the whole world right now. You see for yourself, every day something happens. Maybe you are right that prayer will not stop shooting and war. I believe that prayer can unite us all to prevent all this. It can make people's hearts a little kinder and give them hope. My mother prays every day and thanks to the site prayrs.org she knows special prayers for world peace. It is simply a question of whether people believe in God and the power of prayer or not.

Last edited: