Promotion-Release Date

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Can any FacRep shed some light on the release date process? I'm a CPC going from a level 5 to a 10. I received my TOL with a 14 month release date! I've heard so many different rumors. Is there a 90 or 180 day rule about holding someone with a promotional opertunity? The result of my current facility holding me is costing me a lot of money! If the 14 month release date stays in place could I grieve all the money I will be losing? Going from level 5 to level 10 CPC-IT is a huge pay increase, about 30k!

I believe my current facilities min staffing is 7 and we have 9. The facility I'm going to is on mandatory 6 day weeks. Our staffing is issues are a lack of management oversight. How can their lack of planing cause me not to receive my release date in a timely manner?

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
So what happens after 180 days? How is going from a tower to a center not a promotion? Moving up 5 levels is not a promotion, than what is?

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
It's not a promotion. You going from CPC to CPC. Same job just getting paid more. 14 months seems like a pretty good number to me, most people just get the standard 2 years.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Can any FacRep shed some light on the release date process? I'm a CPC going from a level 5 to a 10. I received my TOL with a 14 month release date! I've heard so many different rumors. Is there a 90 or 180 day rule about holding someone with a promotional opertunity? The result of my current facility holding me is costing me a lot of money! If the 14 month release date stays in place could I grieve all the money I will be losing? Going from level 5 to level 10 CPC-IT is a huge pay increase, about 30k!

I believe my current facilities min staffing is 7 and we have 9. The facility I'm going to is on mandatory 6 day weeks. Our staffing is issues are a lack of management oversight. How can their lack of planing cause me not to receive my release date in a timely manner?
Reread Article 42, Section 13.

Homsar

Rookie
Jun 23, 2014
Crap, I'd take 14 months over the 2 year dates at my facility.

edit: password beat me by a minute

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
not that it matters but how long have you been there? It's hard for a small facility to plan when controllers are bailing with under a year at said facility.

as far as I am aware your manager can hold you up to 90 days. Your district manager can hold you for 180 with justification.
And all it takes is a very easy waiver to fill out to hold you for two years... and it's almost always approved...

Anything less than 2 years right now is lucky, at least in my region.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
This blows! I want my money,lol! If they hold you over 6 months they should start our CPC-IT after that.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Fortunately, you have a TOL in hand. I understand the upcoming MOU on employee movement of any kind - swaps, ERR, bids, bids into management - will be much more restrictive than it has been in the past.

It gives you a few months to work out selling your house, buying/renting the new one, etc. If you still need help passing the time, start drawing your center map. You'll need to be able to name every navaid, every victor, every jet route. In the area where you're assigned, you'll need to be able to name all intersections and list all the radials, MEAs and distances on every airway, so you might as well get a start on the center map.

Last edited:

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Someone told me we may be able to grieve our CPC-IT pay anything after six months, under A67 S3, delay of training. Any thoughts? Also, does NATCA have any rights to negotiate a better release date with management? Knowing the loosing facility is above mins and the gaining facility is on mandatory 6 day work weeks. How can I find the official facility staffing numbers for 2015 and 2016?

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Someone told me we may be able to grieve our CPC-IT pay anything after six months, under A67 S3, delay of training. Any thoughts? Also, does NATCA have any rights to negotiate a better release date with management? Knowing the loosing facility is above mins and the gaining facility is on mandatory 6 day work weeks. How can I find the official facility staffing numbers for 2015 and 2016?
1. You are not a CPC in training at STT. Therefore, there is no delay.

2. Article 42 notes that release dates are subject also to the staffing requirements of the losing facility, and the FAA needs only to make a "reasonable effort" to get you out within 180 days of your offer. ZAB may be in a world of hurt this year and next, but STT's needs must be considered also, and the ATM of STT's opinion is the FAA's opinion when it comes to STT's needs.

3. To argue that your release date is inherently unfair and unequal treatment by the FAA, you would need to show that STT could release you without impact on its operations sooner than 14 months. If you were to leave before 14 months, would STT's staffing remain the same as the day you received your TOL or better?

travisj90

Sep 14, 2010
Boring iowa, but it's home
Well even though your above minimums now, management has to project out for when a cpc would get replaced by a developmental. So your 14 months sounds like when they're planning on someone getting cpc to replace you.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Everyone gets checked out in 6 month or less in STT! So where is the "reasonable effort", from management? I just want things done right. The day I get released I receive a $23,000 pay increase, that is huge. Im sure anyone would cry about that kind of money.