Question for Pilots Regarding Vectors to Final

Bullingju0

Newcomer
Sep 4, 2008
Hello all you wonderful pilot people, as an enroute controller I have a question for you.

When you're still a decent distance from your arrival airport if you're intercept angle is less than 90* from a fix I clear you to I don't need to vector you onto final. I can just clear you for the approach (cross x fix at altitude, cleared for approach) but if I pose the question "Would you like vectors or direct X?" You always want vectors. Don't get me wrong, I love to vector and I'm good at it, but it seems like more work for both of us. Also my vector will be close but it's pretty hard to get a perfect heading that will take you right to the fix I would have cleared you to in the first place (with wind and variance the headings are not exactly what it would appear to be on the radar)

Why do you want the vectors? In some cases it can be beneficial, but 90% of the time I'm giving you 3 turns to final (initial vector towards the final, precise turn once you're close, 30* intercept) in the same spot I would have just cleared you to cross the fix.

Bullingju0

Newcomer
Sep 4, 2008
Obviously I'm not trying to give a pilot a shitty vector to join, and if they want some turns to final even for a GPS approach I'm totally down for that. I'd just like to know why they always want the vectors for the ILS even if they are on track to a fix that's on the ILS.

atpil

Newcomer
Dec 11, 2009
Could be about comfort level. We're almost always getting vectors, so lots of people will prefer that. Familiarity with the equipment may also be a factor.

I'm known to request the full procedure from time to time, just to make sure I can still function without vectors.