Radar to Tower / Tower to Radar

SlyRoach

Newcomer
May 23, 2010
I have 7 years Radar experience and zero tower experience, but my facility placement list has only towers.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Has anyone questioned if that was meant to happen, and or got a new list?

I'm not opposed to switching to tower, but I much prefer radar. Was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

SlyRoach

Newcomer
May 23, 2010
Comfort, skill, and experience with it. I'm basically a vampire that will melt with sunlight. I love working radar traffic, why would I need to try a tower to question if I like radar? :p

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
Yeah one who had tower only and got to go to d01, and another that was radar only is going to ord.... makes no sense... but then again, neither does damn near anything the FAA does.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Not much you can do. Check out, bite the bullet for a few years, and bid out to wherever you want. Anywhere with a radar likes transfers. Even Centers actually like tower people.

AC1277

Mar 2, 2013
Paradise District
Tower became much easier for me once I gained radar experience. I'm at a VFR tower now, but was previously certified at an up/down. My radar experience made sequencing a piece of cake here. And just think, once you're done, you'll have both and be extremely marketable!

RadarContact11

Newcomer
Apr 17, 2015
Very common. I have multiple CTOS and was placed enroute and just finished academy and am now at my center. Who cares you have a job with the FAA although you'll never make as much as an enroute controller you might love it . Have fun at your leve 6 or 7 tower lol. Harder to go from a 7 to 11 center
I have 7 years Radar experience and zero tower experience, but my facility placement list has only towers. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Has anyone questioned if that was meant to happen, and or got a new list?I'm not opposed to switching to tower, but I much prefer radar. Was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Very common. I have multiple CTOS and was placed enroute and just finished academy and am now at my center. Who cares you have a job with the FAA although you'll never make as much as an enroute controller you might love it . Have fun at your leve 6 or 7 tower lol. Harder to go from a 7 to 11 center
Um, a tower controller that is at a facility of equivalent level to a center will make the same as that enroute controller, and there are some towers that are higher levels than some centers.

KSDL

Rookie
Mar 23, 2015
People go from 5's terminals to 12 centers all the time... I am not exactly following what you are saying.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
I went from a 6 up down to a 12, did aight.

Edit: RadarContact11 just got in it looks like, not quite sure he knows what his last statement means either. I did that at one time as well.

Durden

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2009
Dude are you ok?

gims

Mar 7, 2010
California
Ive never lived in New York. I prefer to live in California over NY because I know I like it here.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
The real money is at large TRACONs due to poor staffing, high washout rates, and all the OT you can handle + some more.