Ramp Tower Question

ATCs1222

Oct 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Hi
Can anyone tell me anything about this? I've been calling around but just can't seem to find an answer to this. Who do i apply with for a Ramp Tower Control position? Is it through local airlines? I know is not through the FAA. I know Robinson Aviation is hiring Ramp Tower Controller in FL, but I'm looking in the NY area.

Thank You

snorcup

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008
Re: Ramp Tower Question. HELPPPPPPPP

I think you are talking about "Ramp Control" type positions at larger airports.

The answer is most likely a bit different everywhere you go, but at KPIT the ramp control tower was staffed by US Air employees. I believe it was an operations type position, but I don't know much more than that.

Try checking out the employment web site for the large airlines at the airport you are interested in.

noeflys84

Newcomer
Nov 11, 2008
Chicago, IL

Hi
Can anyone tell me anything about this? I've been calling around but just can't seem to find an answer to this. Who do i apply with for a Ramp Tower Control position? Is it through local airlines? I know is not through the FAA. I know Robinson Aviation is hiring Ramp Tower Controller in FL, but I'm looking in the NY area.

Thank You
All depends on who owns the airport terminal at the airport. I worked in the ramp tower in terminal two at ORD. Terminal two is owned by Northwest airlines and they decided to give the contract to ASIG. Most major airlines have their own ramp controllers.

Stan Marsh

Jun 18, 2008
The Desert

US Airways works ramp control for PIT, PHL, CLT, and PHX. I work in the PHX ramp tower right now. Most of the ramp controllers either came from passenger service (gate agents) or the ramp at the beginning of their career with the airline.

In LAS however, ramp control is covered by Clark County.

Dunia

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008

Hi

Thank You

Where did you find this listing for ramp tower controller in FL?? I live in Fl and that sounds like another good oportunity!

MKFlying7

Newcomer
Nov 17, 2008

Continental had put out a specific application for one in EWR earlier this year. Port Authority and United also have a position.

markthetape

Jun 23, 2008

US air and american have them at laguardia and you would have to go and try to talk to the people at the airport since they really dont hire offline since there is probably a waiting list to get in.

ATCs1222

Oct 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

THANK YOU ALL for the information, I really appreciate it!!! Good Luck To All & Happy Holidays!

ATCs1222

Oct 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Where did you find this listing for ramp tower controller in FL?? I live in Fl and that sounds like another good oportunity!
Hi

Is through RVA Robinson Aviation. They're currently accepting application, I'm not sure if they have immediate openings, I apologize if i had confused you. Well check out the link you never know.

RVA Robinson Aviation | Employment Opportunities

Brew

Jun 20, 2008

Continental runs Houston, but last I heard it was only about 32K a year. They hire a lot of retired military.

ballakc

Dec 2, 2008

I'm a contract controller at MTN, and may lose my class 2 medical. I believe ramp controllers dont need a class 2. Also how is the pay? Is it comparable to what contract controllers make? (About 26-28 per hour)?

nycdude26

Feb 27, 2009

Is it comparable to what contract controllers make? (
Aside from mainline pilots and airline executives, no one in an airline job is going to come close to what controllers make at high level facilities.

NextJen

Rookie
Jun 1, 2009
EUG

Aside from mainline pilots and airline executives, no one in an airline job is going to come close to what controllers make at high level facilities.
Right. I've been doing ramp control/ operations for a regional airline, after working various ramp duties for a year or 2. Ramp control has been my favorite shift, very easy and laid back, but it starts at about $20k these days.

CxJxLing

Newcomer
Jul 27, 2009
Riverside, CA

I work for Delta in their Ramp Tower at LAX, and they only promote from within. I started off as a ramp agent and worked my butt off for 2 years and made it up there.. But I've noticed at JFK and LGA they seem to
have ramp tower openings pretty often..

Hi

Thank You

KDskylark

Dec 7, 2008
LA

I work for Delta in their Ramp Tower at LAX, and they only promote from within. I started off as a ramp agent and worked my butt off for 2 years and made it up there.. But I've noticed at JFK and LGA they seem to
have ramp tower openings pretty often..
They probably have openings at JFK and LGA because its kind of hard especially at JFK (and they don't pay accordingly). They rarely if ever hire for that position from the outside because you have to know so much about the operation. It really has little or nothing to do with ATC though.

marklar84

Jul 7, 2009
U.S.A....U.S.A.....U.S.A.

They probably have openings at JFK and LGA because its kind of hard especially at JFK (and they don't pay accordingly). They rarely if ever hire for that position from the outside because you have to know so much about the operation. It really has little or nothing to do with ATC though.
Good point, You have to really know the operation/airline. In DEN, airport ops runs the ramp towers, except B concourse....that is united.CO's deal. The guys who work that have been there for years.

Funny story, kinda. A few controllers accidentally said their operating initials over the interphone to the "ramp tower" once or twice. Now, there are a few ramp tower guys who give their initials everytime they call the tower flight data guy to ask a questions about flow. It was funny because the tower guys roll their eyes when this happens, but the ramp tower guys insisted this was proper operating procedure for them....even though they are airport ops.

Tony_Mo

Newcomer
Jun 3, 2012

Old thread I know.. But does anyone have any information on where (which company) ATL get their Ramp Controllers from? Haven't found anything solid out there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009

Old thread I know.. But does anyone have any information on where (which company) ATL get their Ramp Controllers from? Haven't found anything solid out there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have a friend who is over at ATL. He works for TBI Airport Management.