Re-taking AT-SAT

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Sorry guys might be a repetitive thread...I will have to retake my AT-SAT since I took it over 3 years ago. I did not get picked up in March so that time is coming for me to re-take the test. Will the FAA contact me to to re-take the AT-SAT?

wilme861

May 20, 2009
When did you graduate from your CTI school? The time limit for CTI guys actually starts at that point.

SCOPED

Senior Analyst
Nov 21, 2010
Gods Country, Alaska
Contact them. Don't wait for them, you've been doing that long enough.

Totally agree to contact them. You long wait may be due to waiting for the FAA to drag there feet to get you picked up. Take the AT-SAT again get a WQ and network your A$$ off 3 years is far too long.

FYI for all who are reading this you can get an extension on your AT-SAT score but it must be done before your previous score lapses. Call ACD and get it done if you think your close.

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
I just checked I was a little mistaken. I took it a little over two years ago (I guess it just seemed like 3 years ago). I think my problem may be the CA and AZ preferences but at this point I will go anywhere. All this information is great and I have started to really take the "networking" thing seriously. One more question, I'm about to finish up my Bachelor Degree in Aviation Management thru Southern Illinois University...will this help my resume for possible employment?

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
I just checked I was a little mistaken. I took it a little over two years ago (I guess it just seemed like 3 years ago). I think my problem may be the CA and AZ preferences but at this point I will go anywhere. All this information is great and I have started to really take the "networking" thing seriously. One more question, I'm about to finish up my Bachelor Degree in Aviation Management thru Southern Illinois University...will this help my resume for possible employment?
Yea and no. It might make you more attractive to a manager or a person in power you chose to network with. Other than that, not in the least bit.

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks for the info guys...If you know any folks that are good to network with send me a message, I would love to talk to them. Degree is done so its time to get down to business.

jd12

Dec 1, 2009
I have the same degree, got it from Middle Georgia College. I don't really think it has helped me in the ATC field so far. I've had a TOL since early November 2010 and i'm pretty certain I won't be going to okc in fy 11. However, the degree did help me get a pretty decent job not related to ATC at a regional airport where I live.

alzy

Senior Analyst
Jan 21, 2010
Earth
You actually wouldn't have to retake the ATSAT either. You can apply for a 1 year extension and keep doing that.

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Right on...I probably would have been looking for a job at an airport except I didn't want to get myself into a good job and then leave abruptly to pursue ATC. Alzy, Im gonna file for an extension since I have a WQ score already...Thanks again

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
I was speaking to Aviation Careers, they said they do look at your degrees, and that the FAA looks very highly on people who have degrees when they request reassignments, promotions, etc... But I'm not sure how reliable my source was.

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010
I have heard that people in a CTI program can re-take the ATSAT up to twice before they graduate. i.e. take it in the fall, and if you don't pass or want to try for better, take it again in the spring before graduation. Has anyone else been hearing this?
This is definitely false. Whoever told you that has horrible info, maybe they are talking about some cti school tests? But most definitely not the atsat my friend! Can't retake it for 3 years.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
I have heard that people in a CTI program can re-take the ATSAT up to twice before they graduate. i.e. take it in the fall, and if you don't pass or want to try for better, take it again in the spring before graduation. Has anyone else been hearing this?
If you get >70 than you are stuck with your score for 3 years, 4 years if you apply for a one year extension. If you get <70 than you can take the AT-SAT one more time under CTI, one year later. The only way to improve your score is to hope for another OTS and apply. Good Luck!

Your CTI app is only good for 3 years (4 years with extension). If you don't get picked up in this time frame you are SOL under CTI. Your only hope after 4 years is OTS.

hotvedt

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2008
A guy in my CTI class and myself both tried to extend our scores about a year ago. They turned us both down, and he had a 100. We both took the At-sat under OTS before going into CTI.