Redirected to ZAB

rytomi

Honor and Determination
Jun 15, 2009
PCT
So I was redirected from ROW to ZAB and received my amended TOL. I was wondering if there is anyone out there working at ZAB, and what anyone could tell me about it?

rytomi

Honor and Determination
Jun 15, 2009
PCT
Indeed I am... small world! I will say though, wish I was going to N90 like you, ZAB is far, far away.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Small world is right. What year you graduated? I went to Sparta til 6th grade. Still know a lot of people in Sparta and drink at Mohawk House and Kroughs all the time. Graduated from Newton in 02.

rytomi

Honor and Determination
Jun 15, 2009
PCT
Ahh, you're a little older than me. I graduated Sparta High in 2005, and then Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach, FL in 2008. I've been fighting to get in ever since. Moved back to NJ a few years ago, I missed seasons and scenery. Albuquerque is going to be a big jump, I'm so close I can taste it. Actually this is the second time in this spot so I know all too well the taste. Hopefully I'll get my clearances this time, my original TOL was almost 3 years ago.

rytomi

Honor and Determination
Jun 15, 2009
PCT
Good to know, I like Kroughs myself. I'll keep a look out for he-man for a free beer!

meagarunt22

Jul 15, 2010
BFE, NM
I live south of ZAB but I've been there for the interview. It seems like a good facility to work. It's on the nicer side of town and it's right of the highway so it's easily accessible. Mixed reviews about ABQ, I don't like big cities but my husband liked it when he lived there. And there's mountains just outside of town with super nice housing that a lot of the people live in that make more money (like you will). All the controllers I met were nice. ABQ has everything you need and it has all 4 seasons.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
I was there for five years, and I loved the town. I hated the facility, but that was due in large part to personal circumstances that probably will not apply to you (e.g., the $30k pay cut during the White Book, being a developmental in the North specialty), so take that with a grain of salt. I understand from friends who are still there that things have improved in general, and that it's in the process of an upgrade from ATC-10 to ATC-11.

It's a good first job. If you want to move after you check out, you can transfer to anywhere from ZAB.

Bulldog274

Newcomer
Apr 4, 2013
I live in Albuquerque and although I haven't gotten my TOL yet (fingers crossed), I have been to ZAB 11+ times because I freakin love this job. This might be SHOCKING but ZAB is critically understaffed...like bad. Hiring managers there told me that there are going to be A LOT of people blowing through this way especially if they put anyplace in the Southwest. This is not a high intensity center, there are peaks of course...the main player here is the weather in the summer. The unstable air (courtesy of my CTI weather course that I now didn't need) causes infrequent but massive thunderstorms that screw everything up so that's one of the reasons we are here. In a nutshell west sectors line up for Phoenix, East sectors handle most of through traffic and line up for *insert massive Texas airport here*. It is an amazing place to train! Everything from A to R side training is laid back. Training with the instructors are really good because there is never like 20 other trainees there at the same time and the simulations in the lab are well run too. Hmmm what else...that's pretty much it. Everyone is relatively nice...besides the people who are mad because they are stuck in ABQ and the COO Terry is really nice. He'll prob let you transfer out after you check out but then again that's in ~3 years and he could be gone because people move around/get promoted stupid fast in this job! And with that I end my novel!

Supra

Rookie
Feb 2, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I live in Albuquerque and although I haven't gotten my TOL yet (fingers crossed), I have been to ZAB 11+ times because I freakin love this job. This might be SHOCKING but ZAB is critically understaffed...like bad. Hiring managers there told me that there are going to be A LOT of people blowing through this way especially if they put anyplace in the Southwest. This is not a high intensity center, there are peaks of course...the main player here is the weather in the summer. The unstable air (courtesy of my CTI weather course that I now didn't need) causes infrequent but massive thunderstorms that screw everything up so that's one of the reasons we are here. In a nutshell west sectors line up for Phoenix, East sectors handle most of through traffic and line up for *insert massive Texas airport here*. It is an amazing place to train! Everything from A to R side training is laid back. Training with the instructors are really good because there is never like 20 other trainees there at the same time and the simulations in the lab are well run too. Hmmm what else...that's pretty much it. Everyone is relatively nice...besides the people who are mad because they are stuck in ABQ and the COO Terry is really nice. He'll prob let you transfer out after you check out but then again that's in ~3 years and he could be gone because people move around/get promoted stupid fast in this job! And with that I end my novel!
I'm in contact with a controller there and I'm getting the same vibe from him, honestly I'm really excited to go here despite trying to swap. Only reason for the swap is to be home hehe.

Oh and Bulldog we don't mind the novels! Any info regarding ZAB or the city of ABQ is definitely wanted! Thanks for sharing!

D2daE

Newcomer
Feb 12, 2014
I'm in contact with a controller there and I'm getting the same vibe from him, honestly I'm really excited to go here despite trying to swap. Only reason for the swap is to be home hehe.

Oh and Bulldog we don't mind the novels! Any info regarding ZAB or the city of ABQ is definitely wanted! Thanks for sharing!
I second this. Thanks for the info.