Referral List Updates!!!

dasipe

Newcomer
Jan 9, 2009
When will they tell you where the offer is for? At the end of the PEPC?

My main concern is, them offering me a facility down there, and me being put on the spot to accept or deny it sight unseen. I'd like to go down there, tour the facility, and check out the area, since I'll likely spend the next 25 years there! Will I have time to do this before accepting or denying an offer?

I feel the same way. It doesnt seem fair to be offered a position without any previous notice. Even more so if its somewhere you dont even want to go. However, being this process as complicated and undertermined as it is, a job offer should really be taken into consideration and not denied completely.

I know by working at an FAA facility and networking with many ATC's (both in terminal and ARTCC) that if you put in for a terminal facility, the posibilities of moving around are good. You can spend a certain amount of time there, get certified, and apply somewhere else with your CPC or CTO certificate. This way you can work your way up to different levels. On the other hand, if you go to a center, you will most likely spend the rest of your life there. I've heard centers being reffered to as "black holes" cause once your in, its hard to get out. Nevertheless, if you really want a ARTCC, they are great facilities!

All I'm saying is, take into consideration everything when being offered a position (facility, pay, cost of living, etc etc etc) because with all the crap we've been through to get on these lists, who knows what will happen next.

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
Cool.

Would it be possible to ask for something else while at the PEPC? i.e.-My #1 FL pick is ZJX, if I got ZMA or a Terminal position, could I ask them for ZJX at the PEPC, or will I just have to decline the offer and start the process of waiting all over again?
If I get ZJX/ZMA I will be harassing the hell out of you to find out what you got - I want ABC - Anything but Center. And I know that if you're FOL(maybe even TOL), you can swap with others.

So we shall see! Honestly though, if I got center, it wouldn't be the end of the world =)

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
I feel the same way. It doesnt seem fair to be offered a position without any previous notice. Even more so if its somewhere you dont even want to go. However, being this process as complicated and undertermined as it is, a job offer should really be taken into consideration and not denied completely.

I know by working at an FAA facility and networking with many ATC's (both in terminal and ARTCC) that if you put in for a terminal facility, the posibilities of moving around are good. You can spend a certain amount of time there, get certified, and apply somewhere else with your CPC or CTO certificate. This way you can work your way up to different levels. On the other hand, if you go to a center, you will most likely spend the rest of your life there. I've heard centers being reffered to as "black holes" cause once your in, its hard to get out. Nevertheless, if you really want a ARTCC, they are great facilities!

All I'm saying is, take into consideration everything when being offered a position (facility, pay, cost of living, etc etc etc) because with all the crap we've been through to get on these lists, who knows what will happen next.
Well, I'm not sure how I'd like uprooting my life every couple of years by moving to another facility, unless they were all in the same proximity to eachother, and I could live in the same area. i.e.-I could pick a spot here in north east Ohio, and start off at Akron-Canton (class C), move up to Cleveland Hopkins (B), then to ZOB of I wanted, and live in the same house.

And you can work your way up in a center, there's lots of other jobs above being a CPC, you're just stuck in the same building your whole career! haha

Like I said, I just don't want to accept an offer to somewhere I've never been. My parents are always telling me that I'm young (26) and I can deal with any kind of living situation for a few years if needed, but I'd still like to know what I'm getting myself into by accepting an offer.

If I get ZJX/ZMA I will be harassing the hell out of you to find out what you got - I want ABC - Anything but Center. And I know that if you're FOL(maybe even TOL), you can swap with others.

So we shall see! Honestly though, if I got center, it wouldn't be the end of the world =)
I'd be down for that! lol

I'm 100% open to either option though. I graduated from Enroute, but I would take a level 8 or 9 terminal position in a heartbeat if offered, and transfer to a level 10+ once I was able. I've always loved the terminal environment, any time I fly out of a large airport, I'm like a little kid watching all the planes take off and land!

The Fold

Apr 15, 2009
Florida
Per the Charlotte training manager, they're sending the last 15 people picked in Pubnat 7 to be displaced elsewhere, and they're not taking any CTI's this round. They dont' intend to hire anyone for a year.

---This is from one of my friends up there.

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
Per the Charlotte training manager, they're sending the last 15 people picked in Pubnat 7 to be displaced elsewhere, and they're not taking any CTI's this round. They dont' intend to hire anyone for a year.

---This is from one of my friends up there.
You must mean pubnat 5/6 because pub 7 has not been to panels yet.

AKAmanda

Newcomer
Nov 6, 2008
Alaska
No notice for AK Yet, It sounds like were really backed up with training. We'll see I guess! At least I have a good job in the meantime,

monica5627

Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
San Diego
I'm new to this... my ASAP Application page still says "Referrals are based on submitted questionnaire at time of referral." Does this mean my application could still be waiting to be reviewed or am I just being hopeful? :)

Briefer

Newcomer
Oct 1, 2009
It means that you were not put on a referral list....I am in the same situation. Could be a number of things, for me it was because my two states did not request a list. That is right from Amy herself....the good news is that the application for this round is still good till 9/30/10....be patient, it will all work out.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008

Ugh.... You're gonna be so happy you do a damn backflip. You are not gonna whine to anyone who will listen, you arent going to be trying to trade with anyone else selected...

Seriously, take it from people who have gone trough it.... You will be on top of the world once you get selected.

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Ugh.... You're gonna be so happy you do a damn backflip. You are not gonna whine to anyone who will listen, you arent going to be trying to trade with anyone else selected...

Seriously, take it from people who have gone trough it.... You will be on top of the world once you get selected.
That's what I'm gonna do! haha

aaronavtr

Trusted Contributor
Sep 26, 2009
Northeast U.S.

Not "if" but WHEN I get selected, I will go nuts!!!

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
And you are just so sure of this?? Your cockiness will be taken down a notch when you see the first few people posting they were selected and you have not received an email, but good luck ;)

And my exact words were "once you get selected", I dont particularly see doubt in the statement...

aaronavtr

Trusted Contributor
Sep 26, 2009
Northeast U.S.
And you are just so sure of this?? Your cockiness will be taken down a notch when you see the first few people posting they were selected and you have not received an email, but good luck ;)

And my exact words were "once you get selected", I dont particularly see doubt in the statement...
*Ah correction...don't mistake my confidence as cockiness. Some ppl here on sm believe things will happen for themselves one way or another. Whether they're the first or last to be notified/emailed. I just so happen to be one of them.

I read your exact words and wasn't doubting ur statement my friend.

However I can't wait for people to post when they start getting they're emails. I hope it is soon. I wonder how you all will celebrate when that email comes.

Last edited:

The Fold

Apr 15, 2009
Florida
I just heard from an AT manager from c90 that is on the hiring panel that there is a panel this week, however it will be very small and only hiring VRA's mostly and then the next panel will for sure be in january. Keep your heads up everyone, it will happen for us eventually!!
:deadhorse:

Sigh, I hope this isn't true.