Reinstatements placed behind CTIs and OTS

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
I've never heard of this happening before, but I could see why they would want to keep you "in order". If your third in line for your facility their not going to let you skip one and two just because you don't need to go to OKC first. It doesn't make much sense to me either, but that's just the way it is.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
We just took a reinstatement from ZDC. Ten years experience, had to quit when her husband got transferred and she didn't. She didn't have to do any waiting. Sent her straight out once the paperwork was in order, stuck her in the sims as soon as they could.

ohzee619

Rookie
Mar 4, 2010
Bay Area,CA
I got picked on the Oct2010 panel. Going to SJC, one person in front of me who's still waiting for a class date. My HR rep said they cant bring me on until he leaves for the acadamy. So the earliest that can happen is 2nd half of fiscal yr 2012...

GIN

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2011
Been out of the game for a long time now looking to return! I worked N90 for a year, washed out then got send up to ELM (talk about a night-day shocker). Anyway, Spent 7 months at ELM and was going nowhere there and at the time my wife was not willing to move up there. I haven't been able to get ATC out of my mind and decided I try and go back. Just not sure where to start. Any help/guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
I got picked on the Oct2010 panel. Going to SJC, one person in front of me who's still waiting for a class date. My HR rep said they cant bring me on until he leaves for the acadamy. So the earliest that can happen is 2nd half of fiscal yr 2012...
Call the FACREP and ATM. If you're a qualified terminal type it seems ridiculous to make you wait while a new hire goes to school. Not that the FAA always makes sense. :cuss:

Been out of the game for a long time now looking to return! I worked N90 for a year, washed out then got send up to ELM (talk about a night-day shocker). Anyway, Spent 7 months at ELM and was going nowhere there and at the time my wife was not willing to move up there. I haven't been able to get ATC out of my mind and decided I try and go back. Just not sure where to start. Any help/guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
The way I read the ReinCPC bids, unless you were a CPC I don't think you're eligible under that hiring authority. You need to apply again under another authority (CTO, CTI, etc). Your pay is set at whatever you made when you left.
The bids come up under jobs.faa.gov for now, but they are transitioning to www.usajobs.gov soon.

GIN

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2011
Wow thanks for the prompt response jamisjockey. With that news, would I age out at 38 or could I forgo the age since I have previous ATC placement?

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
My understanding is when you're hired under normal hiring rules (IE, before age 31), your age is frozen for federal retirement. As long as you can pass a physical, they have to let you get your 20 years good time.
If you weren't a CPC, I'm not sure what the rehiring process is. I take it from your description of your time at 2 facilities, you passed your probationary period.
Doing my best to piece together what I know and understand. I'd start making calls to ACD and FAA HR and see exactly what you need to do. What hiring authority did you fall under?

GIN

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2011
I graduated CTI from Vaughn College in NY in 2000 and was hired and sent to OKC September 19, 2001 and separated from FAA February 2003. Thanks again for taking your time and helping me out!

GIN

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2011
ELM was awesome. And yes, I was all set for check out but at the time we all knew I was going to try and transfer back on LI so the consensus said go without any checkouts so it would be easier to start fresh somewhere else. Great people at ELM, super nice area with great housing deals. My wife is a Teacher and her entire family is from where we live on LI so she didn't want to move at that time causing me much ojida!!! LoL - That was some 10 years ago and she now is ready to move if I can get back into the FAA.

GIN

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2011
I will also say that being away from my wife and 2 year old child at the time was hard on me. I can also admit I took the FAA for granted and thought I would have a chance at a facility back around the LI area. Like I said that was 10 years ago and I see how stupid that was to give up such a great career. I am willing to be away from my wife and 2 children now for any period of time necessary. Or commute, or move entirely. Whatever it takes!

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
You need to check with ACD and see what you need to do. I doubt you're eligible for reinstatement because you were never a CPC, you'll probably need to reapply as a CTI, take the test again, all that happy horse shit.

GIN

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2011
You need to check with ACD and see what you need to do. I doubt you're eligible for reinstatement because you were never a CPC, you'll probably need to reapply as a CTI, take the test again, all that happy horse shit.
Oh I hope that's not the case.....

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
I don't think you need to have been certified. Here's what a prior opening states:

Qualifications: Applicants must possess 52 consecutive weeks of air traffic control experience in a military or civilian air traffic control facility which demonstrates possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the level of work. This experience must have provided a comprehensive knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations and procedures governing the movement of air traffic; knowledge of aircraft separation standards and control techniques; and the ability to apply them properly, often under conditions of great stress. The 52 consecutive weeks of experience can not include any FAA Academy time, as this is not considered "live" Air Traffic. Age Requirements: A maximum age of 30 years is established for entry into air traffic control positions covered by Public Law 92-291. Persons who have reached their 31st birthdays may not be originally appointed to these positions. If experience was gained as a civilian ATCS with the Department of Defense (DOD) or Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), you must have been hired prior to age 31.
So, 52 weeks, not including Academy time. Might exclude any classroom time before hitting the floor, too.