Release Dates

igeek

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008
Hello,

Does anyone know the official rules for facility release dates

How long can a release date be on a promotion?
What is considered a promotion?
What factors would a facility take into consideration to determine a release date?
Is there any set amount of time a facility can hold on to you for staffing?

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
Hello,

Does anyone know the official rules for facility release dates

How long can a release date be on a promotion?
What is considered a promotion?
What factors would a facility take into consideration to determine a release date?
Is there any set amount of time a facility can hold on to you for staffing?
right out of the contract:

article 42 bidding procedures
section 13. Release dates are subject to the staffing requirements of his/her current facility as well as the needs of the target facility. Every reasonable effort shall be made to provide a release date within six (6) months of selection. If a six (6) month release date is not practicable, the Agency shall propose a fixed date that the employee may accept or decline.

article 108 pay
section 13. promotions/demotions
A. a promotion is defined as:
1. movement from Academy completion into the first developmental stage.
2. movement from the final developmental stage into the CPC position.
3. movement from the CPC position to an MSS-2 or higher position.
note: movement by a CPC to a higher level ATC facility is NOT considered a promotion but rather a transfer.

IrishNYATC

Newcomer
Feb 6, 2009
Anyone know the process management would have to undergo to attempt to change the release date of an already signed FOL? I've had a release date for 20 months now and it's coming up in 6 month. My FOL is signed and in the hands of my new facility. Staffing at my current facility may be an issue and there is concern that management may attempt to change dates.

vic1218

Nov 23, 2008
Anyone know the process management would have to undergo to attempt to change the release date of an already signed FOL? I've had a release date for 20 months now and it's coming up in 6 month. My FOL is signed and in the hands of my new facility. Staffing at my current facility may be an issue and there is concern that management may attempt to change dates.
They can try whatever they want but if you have a FOL already signed, there is no way they can change it. They would open themselves up for a lawsuit and they would lose.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
RB, you're out don't worry about it. When I was leaving the ATM at my new facility said it'd take an act of God to delay it.

Enjoy the last few months brother!

MT

NoGyro

Aug 6, 2008
right out of the contract:

article 42 bidding procedures
section 13. Release dates are subject to the staffing requirements of his/her current facility as well as the needs of the target facility. Every reasonable effort shall be made to provide a release date within six (6) months of selection. If a six (6) month release date is not practicable, the Agency shall propose a fixed date that the employee may accept or decline.

article 108 pay
section 13. promotions/demotions
A. a promotion is defined as:
1. movement from Academy completion into the first developmental stage.
2. movement from the final developmental stage into the CPC position.
3. movement from the CPC position to an MSS-2 or higher position.
note: movement by a CPC to a higher level ATC facility is NOT considered a promotion but rather a transfer.

Thread from 2012, I know...

I have heard that:

(a) If a release date is more than 6 months, the losing facility has to justify that time in excess of 6 months, and that it can be overturned by a higher level of management.

(b) Promotions cannot be held up/delayed.

Are these myths? Or are they written somewhere?

I've read Article 42 and 108. They don't go into much detail.

harv

Jun 15, 2008
Nothing has officially changes since 2012 with the red book extended.

Promotion for the agency means a move to management (FLM)

Last edited:

NoGyro

Aug 6, 2008
The questions are as follows:

If a release date is more than 6 months, the losing facility has to justify that time in excess of 6 months, and that it can be overturned by a higher level of management. --- TRUE or FALSE?

Promotions cannot be held up/delayed. --- TRUE or FALSE?

If you have a source for your answer, such as the red book, please include that.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
1. True. But the reason could be anything from overtime being paid out to cover shifts to "training needs to be accomplished". Many, if not all facilities never had there numbers adjusted when two person mids became mandatory. So for example at Burbank we are 14-18 Cpc's when in reality we need to have at least 16-20 to run the operation With zero OT. All mgmt has had to declare is it's cheaper for the agency to keep a cpc here then it would be to transfer them to a higher level and deal out OT. Article 42.

2. True. But the agency only acknowledges a cpc moving into an mss2 (FLM) position as a promotion. Article 108 sec14. A transfer, bid, swap, hardship do not count as promotions.

harv

Jun 15, 2008
Everything duranme said. Plus, when the facility that wants you calls your manager and your current facility says they can release you in two years. The new facility doesn't usually want to deal with that hassle and basically moves on to the candidate with a early release date. So you never officially get a release date that your current manager needs to justify.

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010
Someone at my facility was originally given a 5 year release. Long story short, it was changed to 2 years after talking to natca about it.

NoGyro

Aug 6, 2008
1. True. But the reason could be anything from overtime being paid out to cover shifts to "training needs to be accomplished". Many, if not all facilities never had there numbers adjusted when two person mids became mandatory. So for example at Burbank we are 14-18 Cpc's when in reality we need to have at least 16-20 to run the operation With zero OT. All mgmt has had to declare is it's cheaper for the agency to keep a cpc here then it would be to transfer them to a higher level and deal out OT. Article 42.

2. True. But the agency only acknowledges a cpc moving into an mss2 (FLM) position as a promotion. Article 108 sec14. A transfer, bid, swap, hardship do not count as promotions.

Can a transfer/direct controller-to-controller swap be delayed? How are those release dates chosen?

Where does it say a promotion cannot be delayed?

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
Can a transfer/direct controller-to-controller swap be delayed? How are those release dates chosen?

Where does it say a promotion cannot be delayed?

1. Art42 sec9 Approval will not be unreasonably denied nor will release dates be unreasonably delayed. The Parties recognize that mutual transfers under this Article are solely in the best interest of the employees and therefore employees will not be entitled to receive any permanent change of station (PCS) funds.

2. I will get back to you on that as soon as I find out