Relocating across country

atcprincess

Newcomer
Dec 27, 2009
What are people's experiences relocating across country after the academy. I currently live in Ohio and am set to go to Santa rosa after the academy. I start class the 22 and had planned on flying and having someone drive my car out sometime before February but have been informed that the gov will only pay for me to fly back and forth from Columbus and I will have to pay my way to Santa rosa myself. I'm thinking driving myself is going to suck but be way cheaper. What are any suggestions ppl have that have had to relocate. Thanks

hotvedt

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2008
Re: Relocating across country.

Going from stillwater, Ok to Moses lake, Wa. Take what you can put in your car or look for a fully furnished apt to live in for a few months. I don't know if there is a good way to move across the country. If you have a ton of stuff and can afford it I would suggest a pod.

siah1214

Rookie
Jan 5, 2011

Going from Longview TX to ZNY. I can't wait. Does the FAA help at all with moving costs? I honestly don't care I just want to start working but it would be nice. Get me out of here!

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX

you get up to 64 hours (8 days) of leave to use for relocation. it has to be approved by your facility but is available and you have 2 years to use it.

RFDATM

Trusted Contributor
Nov 27, 2009
IL

Going from Longview TX to ZNY. I can't wait. Does the FAA help at all with moving costs? I honestly don't care I just want to start working but it would be nice. Get me out of here!

No - some travel expenses (gov fare for airplane ticket) are paid

AlphaLima

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2008
A black hole
Florida to California here, i feel your pain. I'm selling anything that counts as furniture and just taking clothes and stuff in plastic totes. I'm going to try to get it down to just what can fit in the car and take it with me to OKC then onto my facility. If not then uhaul trailers are only like $300 per leg (so $600 total) which seems to be the cheapest route.

Those pods moving places want like $2k for a single pod coast to coast which is more than the stuff is worth. I could just trash it and buy all new stuff for that much.

meanjoe

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2011
First, take a real good look at your stuff and realize it's gonna cost a shit load to move it across the country. You might consider selling anything that isn't valuable. You can get couches and futon's pretty cheap on CL to get you started.

I got a bad estimate from a moving company several years ago when I moved to phoenix from pensacola for a contract tower job. When the moving company showed up they started loading my stuff THEN informed my wife that it was going to cost way more than the estimate. They totally had me over a barrel. I was already in phoenix and my wife (now ex-wife lol) was moving out of the apartment that day. I bitched and got some of the price down, but still had to pay quite a bit more than the estimate. It was my fault for not going over the estimate and their fault for sticking it to me. They had all the furniture in the estimate but ZERO boxes. The delivery guy actually wanted a 10% tip (which would have been around 500 bucks). The move cost me more than the shit I was moving was worth.

When I moved back east(AZ to TN) I rented a U-haul and sold all my shit that wasn't worth moving. It was a much better AND much cheaper experience. I also towed my vehicle behind the U-Haul. The cross county trip was actually kind of enjoyable.

Adam

ccollins

Apr 17, 2009
MeanJoe has a great point. You might pay more to move your stuff than it's worth... even if your friend drives it out.

And for my travel expenses, I initially I moved ND to OKC. I mentioned to the staff in the travel office that my residence was changing and they figured my final travel expenses from OKC to NM. It was not an issue at all.

If you have to pay for your friend to drive your car out because you don't want to then so be it. You will get plenty of money for your travel expenses. Don't blow it on stupid stuff and that'll pay a good portion of the second trip. Or you could drive your car yourself, save the money, and buy new things when you get to your new residence.

RaiderInBlue47

Newcomer
Nov 7, 2010
Use this as a positive opportunity to get rid of a lot of your stuff! I know it's not the same, but when I moved into my apartment for college, I spent 3 days going through what I actually needed and a little of what I wanted. By the time I had gone through everything, I was able to move with 2 boxes and my hiking backpack.

If you tried, I'm sure you could fit your life into 2 checked bags and a carry-on. As for furniture, psh, it's overrated.

poe

Newcomer
Dec 9, 2011
For those folks with families and those unwilling to throw their stuff away(and moved across country) please post what you have paid if you used a service such as pods, upack, relocubes.

If I was single, this would be easier, but I have 4-5K to spend if needed. Got a quote from upack...they drop off a trailer..you load it..was about 4.2k to move 2200 miles and included 4 months storage. This was for 15 cubic feet. If you use less space, it cost less.

A Uhual would be similiar if you consider gas and rental cost, but its a HUGE pain in the A$$ with an infant and 2 small dogs.

Tourguide

Newcomer
Nov 21, 2011
15 cubic feet is not much room at all. It's like a 2.5ft cube... 15 cu. ft. would be like the storage inside a household refrigerator/freezer.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
For those folks with families and those unwilling to throw their stuff away(and moved across country) please post what you have paid if you used a service such as pods, upack, relocubes.

If I was single, this would be easier, but I have 4-5K to spend if needed. Got a quote from upack...they drop off a trailer..you load it..was about 4.2k to move 2200 miles and included 4 months storage. This was for 15 cubic feet. If you use less space, it cost less.

A Uhual would be similiar if you consider gas and rental cost, but its a HUGE pain in the A$$ with an infant and 2 small dogs.

I'm in OKC now with my family. We are going from AZ to WA. I had NO money saved to move. I sold TONS of stuff including all of our furniture and appliances. I then used the money from what I sold to get a UBOX from UHaul and to live on until I got the first check here (about 3 weeks). We put what we could fit of our stuff including a newly purchased King Mattress and baby crib into the UBOX. I priced ALL options and then double and triple checked. The UBOX is small, but it came out to be not only the cheapest option overall, but also per cubic foot. Right now the box is sitting in secure storage in AZ. Once I pass I will call and they will ship it to WA. Yes, a pod costs more than renting a truck, but I dont have to pack a truck, unpack truck, rent storage, pack storage, unpack storage, rent truck, pack truck, unpack truck, etc. The total cost of the pod was about $1500, including storage costs. We easily have at least 5 times that value in the BOX, making it well worth it.

The big kicker I found with UPack was the storage costs. If you plan on having them store your stuff while you are in OKC, you have to pay to store the ENTIRE trailer. I think I was quoted $495 per month. That was over $2K just in storage costs for me!! UPack also has RELOCUBES, which are much cheaper to store per month (125/month) and are a bit larger than the UBOX. Sometimes the quotes are better than Uhaul, sometimes they are much more expensive. UBOX chages about 50/mo for storage.

We packed the BARE MINIMUMS into our Kia and drove out here. It was a tight ride with myself, husband, baby, and dog. We had a roof bag (about 20 cubic ft) strapped to the roof for a little added space. I have just 1 jacket and 2 pairs of shoes and find myself a little jealous of the women in class who wear a dozen pairs of shoes and half a dozen different jackets, but at the end of the day I'm here and that's all that matters. We rented a fully-furnished all-utilities-included apartment for less that the housing per diem allowance, so I have everything I need to make it through 4 months of class.

What didn't get sold, stored, or brought to OKC was donated or trashed.

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
Moved from CA to VT for $2,500, 9ft (stacked to the 12' roof) of a semi truck through ABF trucking company. You load up your stuff then they use the rest of the truck space for commercial goods.

edit: We moved a fully furnished 1.5 bedroom apartment

MissLCoop

Sep 21, 2009
Florida to California here, i feel your pain. I'm selling anything that counts as furniture and just taking clothes and stuff in plastic totes. I'm going to try to get it down to just what can fit in the car and take it with me to OKC then onto my facility. If not then uhaul trailers are only like $300 per leg (so $600 total) which seems to be the cheapest route.

Those pods moving places want like $2k for a single pod coast to coast which is more than the stuff is worth. I could just trash it and buy all new stuff for that much.
I'm in the same boat..going to ZOA from Orlando. I'm considering selling my car and starting fresh when I move there...only bringing what I can on a plane. I figure I can ship the rest. Every option seems to be crazy expensive.

poe

Newcomer
Dec 9, 2011
Moved from CA to VT for $2,500, 9ft of a semi truck through ABF trucking company. You load up your stuff then they use the rest of the truck space for commercial goods.
Did this include storage cost? If so, how long?

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Meant to post this earlier, but for those who'll need movers, check out MovingScam.com. Great website that keeps track of both shady and reputable movers. My wife just about settled on someone we found on here who had a rep for lowballing the estimate and then jacking up the price one they got to your destination. You'll have enough on your mind as it is, so do yourself a favor and scout some companies out here beforehand.

Oh, and for anybody moving to or from the Seattle area, Apex is a great company.