Remote Pilot Operator (RPO) job...

RadarContact

Scope Dope
Jun 26, 2008
High Desert TRACON
** Because this thread keeps getting revived I just wanted to indicate that I'm employed by the FAA now kthksbye **

Just a general question to make sure I'm not missing something... on raytheon's website, under the ATCOTS jobs section it says:

"If you do not see your specific site posted on Rayjobs.com, please apply to the nationwide location."

The place I'm looking to work isn't listed with a job opening, is there any chance I could get hired there as an RPO while waiting or do they stick strictly to the job openings? I don't see a "nationwide" listing. Thanks if anyone has any insight.

PabloFair

Rookie
Mar 23, 2009
3rd planet from the sun
There is almost no chance of getting hired anywhere. If you have contacts at the facility and can manage to meet the hiring manager and get to know him, maybe go fishing with him on weekends, bring him a Thanksgiving turkey, marry his daughter, let him in on some inside secrets on an investment that will make him a lot of money, and mow his lawn every week then maybe theres a chance you can get hired.

No but seriously talking to the hiring manager at the facility is about the only way there is a chance.

RadarContact

Scope Dope
Jun 26, 2008
High Desert TRACON
There is almost no chance of getting hired anywhere. If you have contacts at the facility and can manage to meet the hiring manager and get to know him, maybe go fishing with him on weekends, bring him a Thanksgiving turkey, marry his daughter, let him in on some inside secrets on an investment that will make him a lot of money, and mow his lawn every week then maybe theres a chance you can get hired.

No but seriously talking to the hiring manager at the facility is about the only way there is a chance.
Sheesh really? What's the vacancy rate on these jobs like? I fly sims every day at my facility when we're not fighting over traffic with the trainees (trainees always win).. would really be nice to be able to make about the same kind of money I do now while the FAA sits on our apps.

PabloFair

Rookie
Mar 23, 2009
3rd planet from the sun
I just talked to a friend today that is interning at MSP and she said that there won't be an RPO opening there for 6 months. I don't mean to be a downer but I would't really count on getting an RPO job. Of course you can try because it can't hurt. But I would certainly have a more realistic plan A, expecially if you have a family or anything like that.

RadarContact

Scope Dope
Jun 26, 2008
High Desert TRACON
Yeah no doubt.. I definitely don't count on it. My plan A is for them to hurry up with the next panel and hire me already! Plan B is the RPO thing. Plan C (most realistic) is to have the wife score a job with her new Masters in Accounting, and let her be my sugar momma until the FAA gets with the plan. No kids or anything, so I think we'll be alright. I just don't know how long I'll be able to stand unemployment after Jan. when I get out of the AF.

Thanks for your input... I'll probably try a few of the contacts I have at the fac. to see if I can get anywhere with a job.

Pants81

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
I have been trying for about 3 years now to get an RPO job, Controller's kids and spouses are apparently better than people with experience. Not hating or anything, just sucks. My buddy that is a controller now was telling me when he was and ghost pilot he worked with these girls that could give a shit about aviation or ATC and just sat around texting people all day....said they were a waste, and I know there are tons of people who would love to have a bad ass experience like this to help them with their future careers.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
My wife is an RPO for RAYTHEON and they are actually in a hiring freeze right now while they sort out the contract with the FAA. Until that is resolved there will be no hiring.

flaflaflofly

Feb 19, 2009
Ditto to what polo708 said. I am interning at ORD right now and they have an opening for an RPO after the hiring freeze is over, but it will most likely be filled by one of the interns. The summer was the internship, but everyone is sticking around and doing the job for free in hopes of getting hired one day.

BACKGAMMONSUX

Sep 18, 2008
I think the hiring freeze is dependent on the fiscal year. I heard that next month, they will start hiring again. but the hiring process at Raytheon takes quite some time as well.

redner51

Rookie
Apr 21, 2009
im a rpo at phl and polo has it right on my boss is actually hiring a lot of pilots or trying to cause we just got a tower simulator and im the only pilot here but the freeze should be over soon they still are accepting applications as for how to apply i suggest finding the number of the facility you want to go to and call them and talk to the raytheon department and they can help walk you through the website and all

ucdras19

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2009
How much do rpos typically make? I'm a PUBNAT 8er waiting for an AT-SAT date. I have plenty of flying experience. Is there anything that would give me an inside track toward landing an RPO job?

redner51

Rookie
Apr 21, 2009
right now i make 16.54 an hour after benefits are taken out without benefits you make 19 something

ajbelless

Newcomer
Mar 5, 2009
Moore
Im an RPO at the Acad in OKC and we will need new people soon since we will soon have 14 tower sims, so it depends on where you are triing to get in at. The contract is up for review so you prob wont have a chance till January. It is best if you know someone who already working where you are triing to get in but not impossible. Dont give up persistance can get you in.

Echo_Whiskey

Rookie
Feb 2, 2009
I'm tenatively awaiting a spot in the school house and have applied for an RPO opening at my to be facility. Word is that they will not hire me since I'm on the inbound roster ATC wise. Raytheon wants to hire and train applicants that they can utilize for a years, where as someone like me with ATC eperience is liable to up and quit at any given moment when my spot opens up.

redner51

Rookie
Apr 21, 2009
im inbound for atc too raytheon hires a lot of people that are getting ready to go to the academy its a good way to keep with the program or if your new to atc its a good start for those who have no prior experience i suggest you go for an rpo job it will probably help a lot

atp2atc

Feb 2, 2009
Boston, MA
I actually got a call from a Dynamic Science not Raytheon for a remote pilot operator position, has anyone else gone through them?

ucdras19

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2009
I saw an open RPO position posted on an internet job website which redirected me to Raytheon's employment page. I submitted a resume but that was about all the site would let me do. Does anyone know what else I can do to get my foot in the door? I live in SoCal and am assuming the job will be at SCT.

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
farmingdale ny
I actually got a call from a Dynamic Science not Raytheon for a remote pilot operator position, has anyone else gone through them?
thats the other company that does the hiring for RPO's, each facility hires thru a diff company, the ny facilities go thru raytheon, I called dynamic science before looking for a RPO job, they directed me to raytheon for the new york area. Raytheon has a post up for rpo's for n90, it opened 7/29, I didnt look at other locations.